Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CUNY Fall 2006 thread  (Read 9295 times)

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: CUNY Fall 2006 thread
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2006, 11:16:58 PM »
MeowMix - Congrats on your acceptance! Definitely check out the school.  Where do you live now?

My partner went to Rutgers-Newark, so I can give you any advice on that. It's a good school and if I'm not super attached to CUNY, then I may transfer for 2L.

catamount

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2006, 10:07:29 AM »
Congrats MeowMix- attending?

Ugggh- I forgot how annoying it is to move. I haven't moved out of state in 8 years! So much to do, so little time.  :-\

SaTaNBuGG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2006, 07:47:50 PM »
Thank Butch & Catamount.

I live in brooklyn but if I decide on CUNY, I'll be able to get an apartment rent free close to Main Street. So that wouldnt be a problem.  The thought of not not having to pay rent and attending a relatively inexpensive law school is very attractive.  I will have to think seriously about it.

Is anyone planning on attending SLI in July?

SFQueer

• My cat oscar
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2006, 03:57:32 AM »
Hey folks,

I've been super busy, working full time and trying to sell almost everything I own, before July 1 : )

I haven't yet heard anything about the summer law institute but I just found out that I was awarded one of CUNY's Graduate fellowships!

I'm wondering if y'all have any suggestions for finding housing. I'm moving from San Francisco to New York in mid-july.
I'm so excited about starting, but I second that major moves are sooo much work....

catamount

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2006, 09:51:18 AM »
SF- I just went through the apartment-hunting stage myself, and I'm trying to get rid of a bunch of my belongings before I move (Vermont to NY- not exactly SanFran to NY, but still a move!)- I was using Craigslist, but I just needed a room to move into. I found a nice place in Long Island City, close to Astoria, and right on the NW (10 mins to Manhattan and about 40 mins to school). If you are just looking to find a roommate, Craigslist is the way to go.

Just sent out my app to the SLI today.

Can't wait to be all moved into my apt and ready to start school. Moving logistics suck!

SaTaNBuGG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2006, 11:02:31 AM »
Morning all.

Does anyone know what the seat deposit schedule looks like and how much it is?  I was given two weeks to make a decision but no mention of a seat deposit and I forgot to ask.  Also, does attending SLI bind you to attend the school?

Thanks all.

SFQueer

• My cat oscar
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: CUNY Fall 2006 thread - seat deposit
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2006, 11:09:45 AM »
Meow,
My seat deposit was $500.  I don't remember the turn around time, but I asked (and received) an extention that gave me about a month total until it was due.

SFQueer

• My cat oscar
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2006, 11:15:16 AM »
Thanks cat, that's great that you found a place in queens! I am looking on craigslist but it feels like most folks are not looking for august or July yet. 

As someone who has lived in one place for the past six years, and with a "grown up" non-profit job, the whole process of moving out there feel a bit like I'm regressing : )

catamount

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2006, 12:32:18 PM »
I agree- I'm trying to get a taste for ramen noodles and cheap beer again! I've been living in a college town since undergrad so the lifestyle isn't too foreign to me, but I do know the 'regression' feeling.

The seat deposit is $500, and they seem to grant extensions liberally. I'm not sure if the deposit is binding, but it is definately non-refundable.

With regards to Craigslist, people usually don't start posting ads for roommates until about a month prior. If you are looking for July 1, I'd say start looking at the end of May.

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2006, 05:36:39 PM »
SFqueer - you best bet it so start looking as soon as June 1 or June 15 hits. People generally search for roomies last minute here!  Craigslist is indeed the best place to look for roomies.  I imagine it would be tough switching to a student's life.  I'll too be adjusting, though not with living environment at least.

I'm in Jersey City and staying here...it only takes 40 minutes to drive to school, which is about the same commute time I'd have if I lived in Manhattan or even the good parts of Queens.

I sent in the form for the Summer Law Institute, so I'll likely be attending. Not sure if they offer it to more students than they have slots to, etc. Anyway, it looks like soem of us might meet! (And, MeowMix, attending doesn't mind you to the scohol but if you get stipend money for it and don't go then you have to refund the $$)

Congrats on the fellowship SF!  I wasn't even aware tehy had 'em. I haven't even gotten my financial aid award letter yet, LOL. I have to contact them!