Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CUNY Fall 2006 thread  (Read 8998 times)

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: CUNY Fall 2006 thread
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2006, 04:40:01 PM »
There's no gay marriage in NY and I'm really not quite sure where it stands...I actually live in NJ (even though I'm just 1 mile from Manhattan!) and NJ's laws are actually much more progressive than NY's laws. In general, our legal system is very consumer-friendly and just very progresive. We have a State domestic partnership law here and the supreme court is currently making it's decision about gay marriage. Not sure how that'll turn...

I've never been a big fan of marriage, though...not sure if I would get married even if it's legal.  I'd rather they get rid of marriage altogether!

catamount

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2006, 04:56:30 PM »
Just asking because I live in Vermont and grew up in Massachusetts, and the laws in both states are very liberal (both with Republican governers!). It seems CUNY has a large gay community.

Even though my career interest is healthcare/medical law, one of my "pet" interests is civil rights/liberties law, and I think that sexual-preference rights is in the forefront of the civil rights battle in our generation.

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2006, 01:07:45 AM »
Went to an event this evening with out-going Interim Dean of CUNY Law Mary Lu Bilek.  Mentioned that I had a bunch of friends that were stressing the delay at CUNY.  She said, "Well tell you're friends that we're still making offers of admission."  So, fwiw, that's what I heard through the grapevine.
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2006, 01:24:27 AM »
Went to an event this evening with out-going Interim Dean of CUNY Law Mary Lu Bilek.  Mentioned that I had a bunch of friends that were stressing the delay at CUNY.  She said, "Well tell you're friends that we're still making offers of admission."  So, fwiw, that's what I heard through the grapevine.

Hey, thanks, Lacoste.  I saw your cute pic on the subway just this morning!

I hate that pic, but thank you!  I stumbled, hungover, into the CUNY Graduate Center today for another photo shoot.  They're doing a whole new ad campaign now for the trains with my friend and I.  At least this time I have a shape up, even if I didnt shave this time either.

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2006, 01:28:42 AM »

Hey, thanks, Lacoste.  I saw your cute pic on the subway just this morning!

I hate that pic, but thank you!  I stumbled, hungover, into the CUNY Graduate Center today for another photo shoot.  They're doing a whole new ad campaign now for the trains with my friend and I.  At least this time I have a shape up, even if I didnt shave this time either.

I'll keep my eyes peeled! ;)

Let's Go Mets!

catamount

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2006, 02:02:45 PM »
so when i'm enrolled, how do i sign up to get my picture on the trains?? i think cuny would want to represent the scragly, bearded college student from vermont..

go red sox

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2006, 11:35:37 PM »
Catamount...are you able to use the "portal" through CUNY's main site (cuny.edu) to see any info about your financial aid, etc?  I tried signing up, but it doesn't recognize my info...

https://portal.cuny.edu/portal/site/cuny/index.jsp?epi-content=REGCHOICE

catamount

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2006, 12:08:17 AM »
Never tried... I just clicked the link you posted and it took me to some CUNY site to log in w/ SSN and name. I entered the correct information, but access was denied.

I will be giving a call to the financial aid office this week. I know I keep asking this question, but any one out there starting the process for aquiring private loans? Experiences? Advice? Let's keep this post progressive and active.

In other news, I got an application for the Summer Law Institute in the mail. Anyone else? I am probably going to apply, but not sure if I would accept an offer into the program. I have an enormous amount of personal events taking place early/mid August... I also want to keep myself from sliding into poverty this early in the year  :-\

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2006, 12:51:43 PM »
I got the invite to the summer law institute...i'm going to apply and will likely attend. But, like you, July is busy and in some ways it's like extending law school for 3 weeks...hmmm. I think I'll only go if I can get a stipend, otherwise it's probably not worth it to miss 3 weeks of work!  Money is tight.

My girlfriend got some private loans when she was in law school...she did it all through Access Group, applied online and everything. It wasn't a difficult process.

SaTaNBuGG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2006, 01:48:00 PM »
Just got my acceptance as well as a spot on the Summer Law Institute.  Guess i should stop by and check out the school sometime soon.  They only gave me two weeks to decide.