Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2005 Bench and Bar Survey results (WI)  (Read 324 times)

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
2005 Bench and Bar Survey results (WI)
« on: April 17, 2006, 03:26:21 PM »
81% of lawyers said that the practice of law is not as economically rewarding as it used to be.

51% said that there are too many lawyers in practice today for the work to be done.

73% agreed with the statement: Incivility in the profession adds significant stress to my role as a lawyer/judge.

Opinions?

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2005 Bench and Bar Survey results (WI)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 05:46:41 PM »
81% of lawyers said that the practice of law is not as economically rewarding as it used to be.

51% said that there are too many lawyers in practice today for the work to be done.

73% agreed with the statement: Incivility in the profession adds significant stress to my role as a lawyer/judge.

Opinions?

Some of the lawyers surveyed might have come in with unreaslistic expectations. Plus to some degree, the grass always looks greener on the other side--still those numbers are a little worrisome.

Since starting law school my numbers
Bench: Down 10 pounds
Bar: I consume the same amount of alcohol I did pre-law school.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 05:52:16 PM »
I've had the opportunity to listen to a number of civil tort lawyers and they say that in the 80s it was very easy to make lots of money doing med mal and personal injury work.  The money lawyers could make doing civil tort lit drew a lot of people into the profession that didn't care about the law, but were in it only for the paycheck.  These people were unhappy in the profession, by and large. 

Then tort reform came around and there are caps in a lot of states.  Juries are "tainted" by PR, so they are reluctant to hand out awards to injured people.  Suddenly, competition got harder and the "paycheck" lawyers were VERY unhappy.

There is/was a glut of baby boomer lawyers who will retire in the next 10 years, so I think the feeling that there are "too many lawyers" will be changing as they retire.

I try to keep all that background in mind when looking at figures like these.
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 09:29:28 AM »
yeah....I posted this to change some people's expectations about what practicing law is all about.  I hear over and over here that everyone expects to graduate #4 in their class, get a super high paying job, work at it for 3 years and then save the world.  That may not happen, and I think a lot of us need a Plan B or we will be answering the above questios the same way in 10 years.