Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best Private Loans??  (Read 3589 times)

tier 7 hopeful

Best Private Loans??
« on: April 17, 2006, 01:00:20 AM »
I've been looking at a few private loans, but there's so many out there I feel like I might be missing something.  What are the best loans out there, from what everyone else has seen?  I won't be able to do the gradPLUS since I'm a summer starter and those start in July.  I should be able to get the best rate available since my parents have agreed to cosign...so what are the best rates everyone has seen?

Any current students out there with information on the best private loans, worst/best companies to work with etc?

Micromag

• View Profile
Re: Best Private Loans??
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 03:52:01 AM »
I'd like to know as well

Slow Blues

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 09:43:37 AM »
I got a good rate from CitiBank. Are you a member of a credit union? They usually have good rates on loans.

umichbaby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 11:38:52 AM »
hey, tier7hopeful, since you're going to Mich, try MI-LOAN creditworthy program instead of the credit ready program.  With a cosigner, the fixed rate is 5.9% and the variable rate is 4.53%.  If you have had two years of continuous employment, you don't even need a cosigner, I believe.   

tier 7 hopeful

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 01:41:10 PM »
That is a good loan...wonder why its not mentioned on the loan comparison chart supplied by umich?

Law2k6

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 08:22:05 PM »
I got a good rate from CitiBank. Are you a member of a credit union? They usually have good rates on loans.

What is this "good rate" of which you speak?
U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009

phooey

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 08:46:29 PM »
crap!  I'm doing summer start as well.  Guess I need to start shopping around more..

sillymelon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 05:21:11 PM »
Hi! I'm also going to be summer start at UMich.  I think I'll have enough money to make the end-of-June payment, but I'm still desperately debating between the Grad Plus loan and the Citibank loan.  How to even apply for GradPlus?  There's like no section for it on the linked website in the loan comparison chart.  Any insight?  Thanks!

Slow Blues

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 01:01:51 PM »

Well, my credit union offers student loans at 6.75% fixed. This is more or less equivalent to the rate I got at Citibank, except mine is floating.

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 09:51:42 AM »

Well, my credit union offers student loans at 6.75% fixed. This is more or less equivalent to the rate I got at Citibank, except mine is floating.

floating as in variable?
1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve