Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Starting this fall, now getting anxious...  (Read 654 times)

vsavatar

• Sr. Citizen
  • None
    • AOL Instant Messenger - VSAvatar
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - VSAvatar
    • View Profile
    • Ken Burger's Blog
Starting this fall, now getting anxious...
« on: April 16, 2006, 07:08:13 PM »
Well, I got accepted to the school I wanted, Wayne State.  It's a T3, but it's cheap comparative to any private schools, so I'm cool with it.  Now that I've been accepted and paid my seat deposit fee though, I'm starting to get anxiety.  I've had anxiety disorder for awhile and can normally control it fairly easily.  However, now that I'm accepted and am starting this fall, it's all become so real.  I always dreamed of getting to this point, but now that I'm here, I'm scared shitless that I won't be able to cut it, or that something disasterous is going to happen.  Has anyone else here had this feeling of worrying about what might happen once you start or is it just me?
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=vsavatar

"They who would sacrifice essential liberty for a little temporary security deserve neither liberty or security." - Benjamin Franklin

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Starting this fall, now getting anxious...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 07:13:10 PM »
Many, many people have this feeling.

I did last year, and I'm now finishing up my 1L year, going into my second set of finals in the top 20% of my class and gathering a couple other distinctions along the way.

Just remember you wouldn't be there if the school wasn't sure you could cut it.  You'll be fine, like most people are.  Just try to relax and enjoy your summer, and remind yourself that you're not the only one who is anxious.

mcleod13

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 07:25:10 PM »
I second this one. I have heard of many people being scared shitless going into their first year. I do know that the Dean of Admissions at my school has told me that most people that do not make it their first year are the ones that feel that they don't need to study, they feel that they don't need to participate in groups, they don't use the help that is available to them, or they frankly just don't care.

I strongly believe that if one goes into Law school and gives it 110% and doesn't get upset if they don't get the highest grades, you will be fine. I could be well off base, but this is what I believe.

Esq Now

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 08:40:44 AM »
I agree with what jacy and Bob have said.  Most 1Ls are anxious.  If you apply yourself steadily and don't procrastinate during the semester, you'll do fine.  Also, don't be shy about joining forces with classmates whose outlooks are similar to yours and making use of whatever student-support services your school offers.

It might ease your anxiety to read these two books over the summer:  The Complete Law School Companion, by Jeff Deaver, and Getting to Maybe, by Rich Fischl and Jeremy Paul.
Equity is crunchy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 09:00:27 AM »
I have felt anxious about leaving the security of my full time job to attend law school, but I just make sure that I talk about it with my friends and family.  They always remind me that I will be fine, which helps.

cyberrev

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 09:09:01 AM »
I have felt anxious about leaving the security of my full time job to attend law school, but I just make sure that I talk about it with my friends and family.  They always remind me that I will be fine, which helps.

i guess i'm more excited than anxious. 

what offers the most angst is going through all this to get into law school, selling most everything we own, and paying out big $$$, and then getting there and finding i hate it.

redemption

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 09:16:35 AM »
Millions of people have been through law school and survived it just fine.

Relax. Enjoy it. You'll miss and pine for it once you're out.

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 09:30:22 AM »
I agree completely. When I was 17 and preparing for my driving test, I was incredibly nervous. Then I thought about the many idiotic drivers I regularly saw on the road. If they can pass, I figured, I'm fine. I aced the test, and I even parallel parked perfectly.
Ten years later, I'm taking the same attitude with law school. I've dealt with many lawyers in my current job. When the first day of class rolls around, I'll think of them.

Millions of people have been through law school and survived it just fine.

Relax. Enjoy it. You'll miss and pine for it once you're out.
Georgetown