Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2006 University of Pittsburgh Law Students  (Read 1923 times)

ZinnMaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ianny1982
    • View Profile
2006 University of Pittsburgh Law Students
« on: April 16, 2006, 02:07:33 PM »
I couldn't seem to find a better place to post this, please direct me if such a place exists.

I started this thread for People who have decided to attend the University of Pittsburgh School of Law. I think it is a good idea to have a thread where potential classmates can meet, discuss anything and everything Pittsburgh, and perhaps even find roomates.
Whole Lotta Love: Pittsburgh ($), Syracuse ($$), Case Western, Depaul, New York Law ($$), Penn State ($$), Chicago-Kent   
Bring It On Home: Northeastern(WL), Chicago-Loyola(WL),  Brooklyn
Heartbreaker: Georgetown, George Washington, American

ZinnMaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 2006 University of Pittsburgh Law Students
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 02:22:47 PM »
I'll start:

My name is Ian and I attended a small private college in New York. I am a Northeasterner at heart, but I am looking forward to living in Pittsburgh for a few years before hopefully moving on to Washington, DC.

I am extremely interested in International Human Rights and I am particularly enthralled with Africa. I would love to spend my lifetime improving the lives of others on a grand scale, such as organizing massive aid efforts, creating policy, being involved with International Tribunals, and learning about different cultures and the growth of different countries in general. As you may have guessed, I plan to take advantage of Pittsburgh’s dual degree program which includes a Master’s in International Development. My ideal job way way down the line, would be to work for the State Department or perhaps UNHCR.

On a personal level, I am constantly looking for some kind of entertainment or inspiration. I love reading and writing, watching movies, and listening to music. I am proud to say that I have no boundaries, I like everything from Phish to Talib Kweli to Johnny Cash to Pearl Jam, and this philosophy holds true for most everything I do. I can be found watching the Yankees game at a bar with a bunch of people on Saturday night just as easily as I can be found sitting by myself watching old speeches on CSPAN.com. I suppose because of this I find it difficult to label myself, though I have been called a "cleaner version of a stereotypical hippie." Hmmm...I suppose there is some truth to that. With the exception of the fact that I am not into drugs and to my knowledge I have never hugged a tree...

In terms of this thread, I am looking for suggestions on where to live in Pittsburgh as well as a roommate. I have heard good and bad things about roommates, but I am certainly drawn to the idea of paying less for rent each month!

That’s about it, congrats on everyone who has been accepted. 
Whole Lotta Love: Pittsburgh ($), Syracuse ($$), Case Western, Depaul, New York Law ($$), Penn State ($$), Chicago-Kent   

GGallin

• Outtawhack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 03:46:02 PM »
Ian,
Congrats on being accepted and going to Pitt.  I just sent in my deposit this week and will be attending in the fall.  I am originally from western PA, although my hometown is about 2 hours away from Pittsburgh.  After having lived in DC on and off for the past six years, I am looking forward to moving back to western pa, it will also be nice to be able to have my own apartment and not have to pay an insane amount.  From what I have heard, the best neighborhoods are squirrel hill and shadyside, though admittedly it has been a while since I have been to Pittsburgh.
Anyhow, good luck, it would be good to hear from some other Pittsburgh class of 2009 people as well.
Scientific estimate of Dec. LSAT score-162.34
GPA-3.45
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ggallin

jexlax

• AOL Instant Messenger - jexlax
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 01:37:15 AM »
Hey,

I also sent in my deposit and plan on attending this fall.  I currently attend a state university in eastern PA.  My hometown, however, is Pittsburgh.  I was born and raised on the Northside of Pittsburgh and am somewhat looking forward to coming back home.  I say somewhat because I was looking forward to a little more adventure over the next three years, but as the law school application process played out, it seemed as though Pitt is the wisest choice.  The in-state tuition and the realization that I eventually want to work in Pittsburgh made Pitt too hard to pass up.

Since I grew up in Pittsburgh, I am open to any questions you guys may have about the area, and I will do my best to try and answer them.  As for the housing goes...most of the Law Students seem to live in Squirrel Hill or Shadyside, both of which are pretty nice areas with reasonable rent.  There are, however, cheaper areas to live that are still close to Oakland.

Anyways, congrats on everyone's decision to attend Pitt.  Once again, if anyone has questions feel free to ask.  I like to think I'm a friendly person.  Looking forward to meeting you guys in the Fall.

ZinnMaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 09:19:36 PM »
Hey, just curious as to what you hope to do with your law degree? Also, about Pittsburgh, are there any areas around where one could say, blow off some steam and go mountain biking? As I mentioned I am from New England and am hoping that there are some woods or parks that I can get lost in when the studying gets to be too much! Also, do you happen to know if many people ride their bikes to school, is this a good or bad idea? Thanks.

jexlax

• AOL Instant Messenger - jexlax
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 04:19:25 PM »
Well, to be completely honest, I am not deadset on what I exactly want to do with my law degree.  I could definitely see myself working in government, and I could also see myself working for a non-profit.  I especially enjoy Constitutional Law and civil rights and would like my future career to be centered around this area of law.  With that being said, I am going into law school with an open mind and have no clue as to where I may end up in three years.

Being a city boy, and one that hasn't done much hiking or mountain biking, I don't know how much of a help I can be for you Ian.  I do know there are some pretty nice parks outside of Pittsburgh.  I don't know if you're bringing a car or not, but some of the parks are within an hour drive.  There are some bike trails throughout the city, but they're not really suited for mountain biking.  Here's a link to some of the parks outside of Pittsburgh.  http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/recreation/hiking_pittsburgh.aspx.  Hope it helps.

Also, I am not sure if many people ride their bikes to school.  I can't see why many students would have reason to.  We will have free bus transportation with our Pitt IDs.  Oakland's traffic in the morning can be pretty chaotic and I wouldn't really want to be riding a bike on the streets.  Even so, I'm sure if you really wanted to ride your bike to school it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

ZinnMaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 07:43:52 PM »
Thanks for the info. I wish it was fall already....though I'm sure after some all night study sessions I'll wish it were summer again.

Aerst2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 09:13:27 PM »
If any prospective Pitt students needs an apartment, mine will be up for grabs on 7/31. I love it and I am sad to leave it for Temple. It's a 1BR for $475/month, and you only pay electric. It's on the north edge of Shadyside, about 2 miles from the Pitt campus. The location is pretty nice for people who like public transportation - the bus to Pitt stops at the end of the block, and you can also ride to Pittsburgh on the east busway (my commute to downtown is 20 minutes each way, including walking to/from the bus.) There's also a Giant Eagle and a Whole Foods within about a half-mile.

I don't get anything for recommending it...I just want to help out (I don't know how I am going to find a good apartment in Philly without making a million trips...) PM me if you want more info.
165 / 3.94

Aerst2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 09:21:30 PM »
Hey, just curious as to what you hope to do with your law degree? Also, about Pittsburgh, are there any areas around where one could say, blow off some steam and go mountain biking? As I mentioned I am from New England and am hoping that there are some woods or parks that I can get lost in when the studying gets to be too much! Also, do you happen to know if many people ride their bikes to school, is this a good or bad idea? Thanks.

There is some singletrack in the Schenley Park area, but I am not sure how it would compare with what you expect. Also, I would say biking is a definite possibility if you live relatively close. I started walking home from work last week (loooonnnggg walk), and I was surprised by the amount of bike riders in and around Oakland now that it is warm. If you are smart and don't take Fifth/Forbes, the traffic is definitely manageable on a bike (if you can handle the cold and rain :)).
165 / 3.94

fpotus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 10:41:57 PM »
I am going to PITT, as well. I am really excited.  My husband and I are going up the second week of may to see the campus and city and find an apartment.  We are hoping to find something in Shadyside or maybe Squirrel Hill.  We are looking to move in somewhere July 1st, but may have to wait until Aug 1st for something permanent. 
I want to do corporate transactional work, hopefully on an international level.  I am seriously considering getting a joint MBA with Carnegie Mellon while there. 
As for personally, I love basketball and politics.  The only things I would rather do than go to law school is play in the WNBA or be a Senator.  But alas, I am slow and poor, so I am off to my third choice, law school.  I am regurarly accused of being a crazy liberal, but I am in OK, so you can take that as you like.  I am addicted to the Economist, Beck's Light, OSU Cowboy Basketball and Ayn Rand ( though I disagree with everything she thinks).  I call myself a non-smoker, but smoke about a pack of p-funks every couple of months. GW is speaking at my graduation and I am not happy about it.

That's pretty much me...