Law School Discussion

« on: April 15, 2006, 05:43:21 PM »

Re: NYU Admitted Students Day (4/21)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 12:51:21 PM »
I'll be there!!

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 09:08:20 AM »
I guess I'll just wear a pair of black slacks with a cute top.  I think the just no jeans policy is the best way to go...I'll be making this a day trip, so I need to be comfortable on the way there and back  ;)

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 09:23:06 AM »
Do the admitted students come through the JD admissions office, or do you meet "on campus" at Van Hall?  I work in the development office, which is next door to admissions so I'll keep my eyes peeled for fellow LSDers.  If anyone has any NYU Law or NYC questions, I might be able to answer them.

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 01:00:44 PM »
Do the admitted students come through the JD admissions office, or do you meet "on campus" at Van Hall?  I work in the development office, which is next door to admissions so I'll keep my eyes peeled for fellow LSDers.  If anyone has any NYU Law or NYC questions, I might be able to answer them.

At the first one I think it was in Greenberg Lounge (maybe?) in Vanderbilt Hall

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 01:37:28 PM »
At the first one I think it was in Greenberg Lounge (maybe?) in Vanderbilt Hall

Makes sense.  The admissions office is kind of in an inconvenient location and on a blah floor in a non-NYU building.  I don't suppose you would want it to be the first impression of NYU Law.  Van Hall and Greenberg Lounge are much nicer.

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 09:46:24 AM »
I'll be there!!

Awesome! What are you going to be wearing (I ask because I have no clue what to wear myself. I know it's probably business casual but do I want more upscale business casual or just no jeans/tees, you know?

I visited at the last ASW.  Some people were in slacks while others were in jeans.  I actually wore jeans, a sweater and nice shoes and I felt I was in the norm.  It is a lot of walking, so I'd avoid uncomfortable shoes.  But you could go with slacks or jeans.  Just look presentable.   :)

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 01:09:44 PM »

Hi Artie, are you also a student at NYU? I'd love to talk to you but please don't expect any particularly intelligent questions--I'm probably going to ask you what you think about the atmosphere's impact on your psyche/quality of life. At this point, most of my tangible concerns have been taken care of so I'm just wondering if I'll be goin to school with materialistic d*uchebags (what I've heard from some people) or basically decent folks (what I think will be the case). How do I get to where you are? (building/floor/hours?)

That is my only serious concern with regards to NYU as well.  I went on a random day a few weeks ago and didn't think people were particularly nice or helpful.  There were a lot of OC-looking people, if that makes any sense.  I'm going to the ASW in the hopes that I got the wrong impression on my previous trip.  :-\

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 03:05:18 PM »
Hi Artie, are you also a student at NYU? I'd love to talk to you but please don't expect any particularly intelligent questions--I'm probably going to ask you what you think about the atmosphere's impact on your psyche/quality of life. At this point, most of my tangible concerns have been taken care of so I'm just wondering if I'll be goin to school with materialistic d*uchebags (what I've heard from some people) or basically decent folks (what I think will be the case). How do I get to where you are? (building/floor/hours?)
Hi LadyTrojan.  I'm an administrator and not a student.  I work in the development office and don't have any contact with students, so I'm afraid I can't comment on what they are like.  I can however vouch for the people that run this place.  There are a lot of smart, dedicated people here, and I'm really proud to be a part of it.  If I had the credentials to stay here as a student, I most certainly would.  As it is, I'm most likely headed to University of Oregon, which is certainly not in the same league as NYU but I think I'll be very happy there.  I'm sorry I can't give you a better picture of what the student atmosphere is like here, but I'm sure at any elite school you'll have to deal with your fair share of spoiled brats.

faultytowers

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 11:28:31 PM »
I was there. Lots of faculty involvement throughout the day. Very smoothly run. Overall, a great impression. But the no campus thing's really got me kinda down...