Law School Discussion

CLS class of 2009

fainana

• :)
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: CLS class of 2009
« Reply #590 on: August 13, 2006, 09:41:47 AM »
I accidentally happened upon this when browsing orientation stuff when it came out online. You have to do this half-hour long computer training thing where they tell you how to check your class schedule, grades, etc. Its somewhere on the website, I just don't know where. When you're done, they give you a new username for lawnet. Hope that helps!

« Reply #591 on: August 15, 2006, 01:00:52 PM »
i just got this email today-

Dear Legal Methods students,
Please sign up online for a place on the seating chart.  If you haven't
already supplied a photograph to Academic Services, please do that as well.
Finally, the assignment for the first class is:
Casebook: Legal Methods, 2d ed. revised 2003
Background reading: pp 1-29, 65-72
Cases to discuss in class: Baker v. Libbie; Estate of Hemingway v Random
House, pp 73-85.
See you Wednesday morning!
Jane Ginsburg

Am I supposed to know where to do all this? She didn't give me a website or anything.  Did just my section get this?  Can you figure out anything about the rest of my classes based on who my legal methods instructor is?

At least you got an e-mail. I found out I'm in Ginsburg's class, but nothing from her yet.

« Reply #592 on: May 10, 2008, 08:31:47 AM »
I actually have not completely decided on CLS, so if anyone wants to send me there best "Come here!" proposal, I would greatly appreciate it.

Okay, I'll bite!  Here's what I like about Columbia.  To start with, I'm interested in international business law, specifically in Asia; I could see myself as a clerk, a biglaw attorney, and much later, in an office of general counsel  at a multinational corp.  So here's my bit:

For international work, the Columbia network is outstanding-- Columbia sends more of its grads abroad than any other law school (according to martindale.com).  In Asia, Columbia grads outnumber grads from any other law school both on a % of class size basis, and in raw numbers.  Next year, CLS will become the only top 6 school with a study abroad program in China.

Also, Columbia is unique among the top law schools in also having a top-5 international affairs program, the School of International and Public Affairs, which is nicely situated within feet of the law school.  CLS students can cross-register with SIPA, and I met several CLS students at admit week who highly recommended taking a few SIPA courses during 2L/3L.

The sheer influence and number of student-edited journals is unmatched.  For instance, I'm interested in the Journal of Asian Law, the Business Law Review, the Journal of Transnational Law, and of course Columbia Law Review (and that's not even half of them!).  On its own, the Law Review is incredibly influential-- it's the only journal to rank in the top 3 in each of the four categories of W&L's law review rankings (citations, impact, immediacy, and cases), and also has the highest average ranking of any law review.

That's not to say there aren't awesome opportunities on CLS' other journals-- the Columbia Human Rights Law Review is the most cited publication in the field; the Columbia Business Law Journal is also #1.  Both student-run.  You get the point :D

As for clerkships, one should certainly look beyond the % clerking statistic (14%).  That is, this figure would be useful if everyone applied for a clerkship.  However, as explained to me by a professor admit week, most Columbia grads simply don't apply, mostly because of the immense quality and quantity of top firm jobs available upon graduation.  But the opportunity and demand for Columbia clerks is actually quite large, according to the professor, and one of the school's immediate goals is to encourage and help more grads with the application process.  This is definitely something I'm interested in.

I think something unique about Columbia is its strength in educating future general counsels.  CLS grads currently head the offices of general counsel at Goldman Sachs, Princeton University, CalTech, Mitsubishi, US Airways, Microsoft, Dreamworks, and Marriott, among tons of other companies.  Of course, this was all in one of the admissions booklets, but still pretty cool ;D

Finally, I'm sure most of you have visited by now, but I really just loved the feel of the place.  The campus, the people, and the city all seemed like something I could actually look forward to 3 years with... something I couldn't say about any other school.

why don't you marry it no but seriously, Columbia is awesome.  You should come! :D

This was a good post.

(Yes, I thought I would dig up a relic.)