Law School Discussion

CLS class of 2009

Pythagoras

• ĦEn Mexique!
    • View Profile
Re: CLS class of 2009
« Reply #560 on: July 11, 2006, 07:04:46 PM »
for lots of orientation info, check your cubmail. it points you to an orientation website.

After weeks and weeks of nothing, this stuff is like info-overload.   :o
So many deadlines, so little time!

fainana

• :)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #561 on: July 19, 2006, 12:45:26 AM »
So there's a post on the bulletin board about a final decision about whether we can use the new macs at Columbia Law exams in early August, and I was wondering if anyone else will buy a mac if we can use them. Any mac lovers on this thread? I've had a Powerbook G4 for the past year and a half, and really don't want to go back to PCs. It has literally never frozen, and I have never had a single problem once I learned to use it (compared to my Gateway, that started to fall apart after the first 6 months). Anyway, I'm crossing my fingers!

koko29

• wrote this song for my cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: July 19, 2006, 09:54:43 AM »
I'm not a Mac person, but I'm getting a macbook because my sister's ibook is being replaced under warranty and she doesn't need a laptop anymore. I read on maclawstudents.org that Examsoft, the company that produces Softest, approved running it in Bootcamp. Hopefully Columbia will approve it as well. I don't want to borrow a PC for exams. :P

fainana

• :)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #563 on: July 20, 2006, 12:51:02 AM »
If you haven't called the IT department to express your interest in having a mac for exams, you should. Apparently the more people they know want to use macs, the more likely they'll be to approve it, from people's experiences at other schools.

« Reply #564 on: July 21, 2006, 10:51:29 AM »
so i got my housing assignment yesterday and i'm not sure what to do.  i asked for an apartment share, preferably under 950/month, and they gave me a lenfest efficiency that costs about 1700/month.  its a good room in a good building and all, but that rent is outrageous.  i guess i could take it though since student loans are paying for everything anyway.  what are my options?  i don't want to get put on a waitlist now and not know where i'm moving in three weeks.

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: July 21, 2006, 10:53:35 AM »
so i got my housing assignment yesterday and i'm not sure what to do.  i asked for an apartment share, preferably under 950/month, and they gave me a lenfest efficiency that costs about 1700/month.  its a good room in a good building and all, but that rent is outrageous.  i guess i could take it though since student loans are paying for everything anyway.  what are my options?  i don't want to get put on a waitlist now and not know where i'm moving in three weeks.

WOW, I didn't know efficienes went that high, it's not a 1-bedroom is it?

« Reply #566 on: July 21, 2006, 11:01:31 AM »

no, its an efficiency.  its just a bit more than 7000 for the fall semester.

Steve.jd

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 21, 2006, 11:13:43 AM »

no, its an efficiency.  its just a bit more than 7000 for the fall semester.

does it tell you the sq ft of the room?

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 21, 2006, 01:35:28 PM »

Whew. Tough call, especially with so little time. You have a week to confirm and deposit with Columbia, right? You might check Craigslist to see if anyone in the Columbia area is looking for a roommate. It will be very hard to find your own place in this limited amount of time, and any place you get by yourself in the area will be just as expensive. Also, you could call the housing office and see if there is any chance they will change your assignment for you.

On the other hand, everyone talks about Lenfest being nice, and 1700 isn't that bad for your own place in Manhattan. It's much better to live alone, if only for the easier conjugal visits.

Steve.jd

• View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 21, 2006, 01:56:06 PM »

Whew. Tough call, especially with so little time. You have a week to confirm and deposit with Columbia, right? You might check Craigslist to see if anyone in the Columbia area is looking for a roommate. It will be very hard to find your own place in this limited amount of time, and any place you get by yourself in the area will be just as expensive. Also, you could call the housing office and see if there is any chance they will change your assignment for you.

On the other hand, everyone talks about Lenfest being nice, and 1700 isn't that bad for your own place in Manhattan. It's much better to live alone, if only for the easier conjugal visits.

He should be aware that if he takes the room at Lenfest, he has to either live in Lenfest all three years or move off campus, he won't be able to reapply for other university housing next year.