Law School Discussion

CLS class of 2009

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
Re: CLS class of 2009
« Reply #500 on: June 26, 2006, 08:55:14 AM »
Am I the only one that is doing In-Person Selection? The email from CLS is making me think I should switch over to Direct Assignment and ask for Lenfest, even if it is kind of over-priced. I just wanted to be able to have some choice in where me and my wife live, but they make it seem like my options might be really limited.

I'd also like to add I think the way they handle the housing payment and security deposit is kinda bad.

I spoke with Elizabeth Grainger about this, because I had initially thought in-person selection was better, too. She told me that less than 5% of all housing units go up for in-person selection, and some times there are no one-bedrooms available through in-person selection at all. I would recommend giving her a call, and talking about your options as well.

Slow Blues

« Reply #501 on: June 26, 2006, 09:17:16 AM »
Am I the only one that is doing In-Person Selection? The email from CLS is making me think I should switch over to Direct Assignment and ask for Lenfest, even if it is kind of over-priced. I just wanted to be able to have some choice in where me and my wife live, but they make it seem like my options might be really limited.

I'd also like to add I think the way they handle the housing payment and security deposit is kinda bad.

I spoke with Elizabeth Grainger about this, because I had initially thought in-person selection was better, too. She told me that less than 5% of all housing units go up for in-person selection, and some times there are no one-bedrooms available through in-person selection at all. I would recommend giving her a call, and talking about your options as well.

E. Grainger referred me to UAH, and UAH referred me back to E. Grainger. Seems like nobody wants to answer my question here.  ::) Thanks though.

BTW, the 2006-7 tuition figures are finally available.

http://www.law.columbia.edu/current_student/financial_aid/cost_billing

fainana

• :)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #502 on: June 26, 2006, 02:01:11 PM »

E. Grainger referred me to UAH, and UAH referred me back to E. Grainger. Seems like nobody wants to answer my question here.  ::) Thanks though.

Holy crap, am I wrong, or are the budget figures like 10,000 dollars more for this year than what we got back in May? I applied for loans based on the budget they gave me then, what are we supposed to do to cover the extra money? Ack!

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 26, 2006, 04:04:36 PM »

Holy crap, am I wrong, or are the budget figures like 10,000 dollars more for this year than what we got back in May? I applied for loans based on the budget they gave me then, what are we supposed to do to cover the extra money? Ack!

I looked at the budget figures and they look only 2 or 3k more than before...

You can take out more loans later or now if you want to cover the rest

lyrehc

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 27, 2006, 01:33:32 PM »
hey guys,

I was wondering how long did it take for Columbia to return the MPN to your selected sender once you sent in your signed MPN?...  Apparently, T.H.E. is still waiting for mine, and I mailed it to them 2 weeks ago...

Thanks!!

kina

« Reply #505 on: June 28, 2006, 11:20:50 PM »
What up y'all... I checked with my lender today and found out that my private loan has been approved for disbursement by CLS.  Hopefully more info from CLS is on the way.  I may have no place to live yet but at least I will have some money!

fainana

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #506 on: June 29, 2006, 02:59:37 AM »

I looked at the budget figures and they look only 2 or 3k more than before...

You can take out more loans later or now if you want to cover the rest

The budget they gave me when I got in said 61,500 and now the new one for married students is over 68000- not quite as bad as I thought, but a little frustrating considering a part of my decision had to do with scholarship money. I think its not very cool that this next year's budget figures go up after we've all made our decisions about where to go, and that they are so much higher.

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 29, 2006, 04:08:23 AM »
The budget they gave me when I got in said 61,500 and now the new one for married students is over 68000- not quite as bad as I thought, but a little frustrating considering a part of my decision had to do with scholarship money. I think its not very cool that this next year's budget figures go up after we've all made our decisions about where to go, and that they are so much higher.

I'm pretty sure the initial budget estimates they sent out were for single students, so that would explain the discrepancy. Ultimately, there's no reason to get too upset about the estimated budget, as your individual budget is a function of how cheaply you can live. It's not like the estimates they send out really mean anything. If anything, you would want the estimated budget to be as high as possible, because it helps you to qualify for more loans should the need arise.

Pythagoras

• ĦEn Mexique!
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 29, 2006, 09:30:29 AM »
All this waiting is getting on my nerves!  Grrr, argh!  And nevermind the fact that school starts in 6 weeks.

fainana

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #509 on: June 29, 2006, 03:07:07 PM »
Check your e-mail- looks like we should have known about housing for a while, but I'm really excited we're finding out soon! I'm off to compulsively check my e-mail...