Law School Discussion

CLS class of 2009

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
Re: CLS class of 2009
« Reply #480 on: June 21, 2006, 11:57:08 PM »
Yeah, it's a one bedroom, with a living room, kitchen, and bathroom, and looks reasonably large (larger than I expected). It comes unfurnished, so I've got some shopping to do.

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 22, 2006, 12:09:15 AM »
I requested a one bedroom in the residences on 115th and 116th. So I didn't get exactly what I wanted. My apartment isn't in a law school building, it's in university apartment housing. The rent is cheap ($1200).

« Reply #482 on: June 22, 2006, 12:14:37 AM »
Southside, did you get the 1-bedroom by applying for couples' housing?  Or are you single?  I'm asking because I was under the impression that 1-bedrooms were only for couples. 

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 22, 2006, 12:15:42 AM »

by the way it's insane that you're already awake.

Yeah, I wish I wasn't. My life has been erratic recently.

I'm vaguely concerned that it will be a really crappy building in some way, because the rent seems low, but I've heard nothing but good things about Columbia housing in general.

Southside, did you get the 1-bedroom by applying for couples' housing?  Or are you single?  I'm asking because I was under the impression that 1-bedrooms were only for couples. 

Yes, I applied for couples housing.

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 22, 2006, 12:20:54 AM »
is your girlfriend still there?  maybe she can go check it out.

She's in India. She won't even be coming back until after I've already moved in and gotten settled.

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 22, 2006, 12:24:05 AM »
I'm surprised I'm the first one to get the assignment. Hopefully, there will a wave of good news coming up.

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 22, 2006, 12:34:35 AM »
It was sent around 3 oclock Wednesday afternoon, and they are giving me one week to accept and pay rent plus one month's security deposit.

« Reply #487 on: June 22, 2006, 12:36:48 AM »
what time was the email? 

man i feel like we're doing a LSAT report roll call.

That's funny.

By the way, Southside, you're not the only one who's gotten the housing assignment.  Someone on Facebook posted that she got hers as well.  All I know is I want mine, and soon, because everyday I just watch JetBlue's rates go up and up.

By the way, does anybody know how the security deposit *return* works?  Do they apply it as your last month's rent if you give them notice that you'll be moving out/subletting?  Or is it like a standard deposit, refunded after you leave and the landlord inspects the apartment for damages...?  I'm thinking about calling housing tomorrow, unless somebody knows the answer.

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: June 22, 2006, 12:41:13 AM »
they're expecting you to mail a check or something?

that might cause problems for people who haven't gotten their loan money yet.

They want you to pay with credit or debit card on a web site that they send you a link to.

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 22, 2006, 12:54:22 AM »
they're expecting you to mail a check or something?

that might cause problems for people who haven't gotten their loan money yet.

They want you to pay with credit or debit card on a web site that they send you a link to.

well that's a bit better i guess, but i can still see it causing people problems. 

How long does it take people to get loans from the time they apply? As long as it's under a month, you can just put it on your credit card and pay it off when you get the loan money.