Law School Discussion

Diversity vs. #s Needs

RunawayChild

Diversity vs. #s Needs
« on: April 14, 2006, 07:04:48 PM »

Generally speaking, schools pull students off of waiting list to meet either of these two needs.  Do you guys think that URM status is as equally important as #s when schools decide who they will select from their waiting list? 

Re: Diversity vs. #s Needs
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 01:01:08 PM »
Prolly not... I think #s are their main concern.  Though I like to think that because minorities sometimes have to work harder to compensate for adversities, they tend to be stronger and really appreciate their successes.  I think that the hard work and diligence required to achieve this success really become assets in the long run.  Obviously this is NOT true for everyone... but I'd like to think that it's the case for many law students.  Good luck!

Skeptic

• I need Radiohead tickets for show in L.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 04:38:03 PM »
I'm inclined to think the former in some cases due to my waitlist at loyola.  I've been trying to analyze why they didn't straight out reject me based on my credentials if waitlists are all about numbers?  I really doubt it is entirely about numbers, because really i'd be screwed!  There are obviously other factors, like diversity which is the category i probably fit in.  But who really knows?

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 05:23:17 PM »

Generally speaking, schools pull students off of waiting list to meet either of these two needs.  Do you guys think that URM status is as equally important as #s when schools decide who they will select from their waiting list? 

I think it all depends on the school. Schools that are super # conscious like Georgetown will put more weight on #'s. Schools like Michigan or Boalt that are more holistic would give URM status more weight.