Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: AU-WCL, here I come!  (Read 369 times)

scottyd1982

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • I'm a MySpace Whore
AU-WCL, here I come!
« on: April 14, 2006, 06:50:11 PM »
I'm taking a serious risk by so doing...but I turned down $$ at Pacific/McGeorge today to pay for AU out of pocket.

May be the craziest thing I've ever done in my life, but I would have been miserable in Sacramento. Anybody else hop on the AU train? And who's attending the Admitted Student's Day on the 28th?
UGPA: 3.4, 3.9 last 3 years
LSAT: 163
B.A.: University of Nevada
Majors: History/Poli Sci

Dates: DePaul ($$), San Francisco ($$), Temple, Villanova, Cincinnati ($$), Pacific ($$), Loyola Marymount, San Diego

Friends: Loyola-Chicago, UC-Davis

Rejections: None

Fiancee: American

Apples and Oranges

• Sr. Citizen
  • My puppy
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MissPalmboom
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: AU-WCL, here I come!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 08:48:48 PM »
I'm taking a serious risk by so doing...but I turned down $$ at Pacific/McGeorge today to pay for AU out of pocket.

May be the craziest thing I've ever done in my life, but I would have been miserable in Sacramento. Anybody else hop on the AU train? And who's attending the Admitted Student's Day on the 28th?

Kindred Soul! I just turned down the major scholarship (27k) at Seton Hall to do the JD/MA at AU next year! I'm scared witless because of the debt, but majorly excited about being in DC and getting to do the JD/MA! 

Won't be at the Admitted students day because of exams, but definitely let me know how it is! :)

SantiV

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 09:50:35 PM »
Just sent my deposit in today!!! AU here I come.  I'm excited as hell to start the apartment search and everything else prior to this fall.  I already attended last month's Admitted Students Day, so I won't be attending the next one.  But it's a good experience.
Don't feel bad about the debt, I'll be paying for it all myself as well.  My only recommendation would be to work your butt off and make the most of it.  If you do real well after the first year maybe the school will give you some money, that's what I plan/hope to do. 

Any other people send deposits in today or plan to tomorrow.  I know the deadline is the 15th.  DC here I come.

scottyd1982

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • I'm a MySpace Whore
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 10:49:10 PM »
SantiV,

You goin' to Admitted Student's Day on the 28th? Maybe we end up in the same section. This is ridiculously awesome. I don't think I've ever been this excited in my life.

Dates: DePaul ($$), San Francisco ($$), Temple, Villanova, Cincinnati ($$), Pacific ($$), Loyola Marymount, San Diego

SantiV

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 11:51:37 AM »
Hey ScottyD,
No I'm not going to the admitted students day.  As I said in my previous post, I attended the one in March.  I enjoyed it and was very pleased by many things.  The only discouraging time of the day was when we had to sit through a discussion about the cost of school.  However, I've already had a couple of weeks to think about it and concluded that regardless of the cost, I will be attending AU. 

What do you mean by ending up in the same section?  Are you talking about the classes this fall?  I heard that the sections are divided alphabetically, so unless your last name is at the end of the alphabet, then I'm don't think we'll be in the same section. 

What kind of law are you interested in?

Anyone else make up their minds and send the deposit into American lately?

scottyd1982

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • I'm a MySpace Whore
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 02:03:52 PM »
Santi,

Got it. After reading your post again, I feel like a dolt. No worries.

That alphabetical thing seems a little too simple, but if that is the case, then we won't be classmates until 2L. Man. This is just too exciting. It's gonna be awhile before I really get used to the idea that I'm going to be living in D.C. for at least 3 years.

I'm interested in a number of different things, so I'm not sure...I want to use my first year to dabble and explore a little bit, to expand my range of options. That's one of the reasons I chose American over Pacific...even though Pacific is closer to home, I don't want to limit myself to the I-80 corridor in Northern Nevada/California for job market. I already have connections in Reno to get me a job here when I graduate. I want to test the waters elsewhere, live the life, work hard, study hard, and play hard in the capital.

But to answer your question, these are the things I could envision myself as:

- Appellate Advocate
- Criminal Defense Attorney
- Civil Rights Lawyer
- Legislative or Executive Counsel
- Federal Judge

I also plan on, for shits and giggles, taking the Law of Professional Sports class as a 2L, and I know Ralph Nader teaches a Labor Law course there, too.

Exciting stuff.