Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: dependant vs. dependent  (Read 5706 times)

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
Re: dependant vs. dependent
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2004, 12:34:39 AM »
Yeah Warren Harding was known for using some off the wall words, and eventually, the world normalcy was born.  I think his platforn was "we are going to return our country back to normalcy"  He was laughed at, but it's in the dictionary.  Also, ain't is in the dictionary too, got in their the same way dependant did I suppose.  However, I checked Webster's dictionary, and again, no mention of dependant.  But the online link that someone gave does mention it.  So when you run across problems like this, ESPECIALLY ENGLSIH MAJORES, LEXY,
There has to be soem authority or guideline that should be followed.  no? 
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

EnglishToLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bow ties: quintessential legal fashion accessories
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2004, 12:44:12 AM »
You'd probably rather hear this from Lexy (and who can blame you?), but two points: (1) The problem with the notion of "authority" is that there are competing authorities. Should we abide by the dictates of Samuel Johnson? Of the Oxford English Dictionary (OED)? Of Mirriam Webster? Lexicography is not an exact science; it's developed by committees of experts, yes, but it's naturally delimited by certain socioeconomic, cultural, and linguistic barriers. (Example: Samuel Johnson had prejudices against certain Scots that he imported into his dictionary. I have to believe that other lexicographers have had similar blinders.) Anyway, your best bet is to cull together some consensus from a number of sources. I like the Webster's Collegiate, but that's just one source. If you really want to know about the history of a word and how it's been used, you should consult the OED. Other sources are clearly available, but take each one with a grain of proverbial salt, weighing its weaknesses as well as its strengths. Does the dictionary observe real changes in uses? Incorporate slang? Acknowledge dialectical variance and "creative spelling"?

(2) Technically, Warren Harding didn't coin "normalcy." In England, the word had been used interchangeably with "normality" since the middle of the nineteenth century. He did, however, popularize the word in America. Maybe some day we'll all be saying "nucular," thanks to a certain modern president.  ::)

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2004, 01:04:45 AM »
You forgot subliminable.  8)
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

inthesun

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2004, 04:04:32 AM »
holy crap, english to law, i love you.  i wish i was an expert at something.  oh wait, i am.  making an ass out of myself.  and jacy is an expert at pulling me out of those damn holes i bury myself in.  i guess we're all good at something:D

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2004, 08:03:43 AM »
Glad to be of service, I suppose!  ;D

EnglishToLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2004, 11:02:03 AM »
holy crap, english to law, i love you.

Likewise, I'm shuah, but let's take this slow. I just don't want to get hurt again.  ::)

inthesun

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2004, 11:03:10 AM »
holy crap, english to law, i love you.

Likewise, I'm shuah, but let's take this slow. I just don't want to get hurt again.  ::)

I'll be gentle.  I'm all love. :-*

EnglishToLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2004, 11:04:23 AM »
I'll be gentle.  I'm all love. :-*

Damn, baby, if ya put it that way....

;D