Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: dependant vs. dependent  (Read 5974 times)

Nylo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: dependant vs. dependent
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2004, 09:40:13 AM »
"Dependant" is a noun (i.e. a person who relies on another for financial support). "Dependent" is an adjective (i.e. an alcoholic is dependent on alcohol), but in the U.S., it can also be used as a noun to mean the same thing as "dependant". Hence the confusion.

jgruber

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2004, 09:42:34 AM »
dependent is also a noun

"Dependant" is a noun (i.e. a person who relies on another for financial support). "Dependent" is an adjective (i.e. an alcoholic is dependent on alcohol), but in the U.S., it can also be used as a noun to mean the same thing as "dependant". Hence the confusion.

shortbus

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2004, 06:18:06 PM »
jeffjoe I find the photo with the baby annoying. Is that supposed to show us how you are a Sensitive Loving Human Being?

inthesun

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2004, 06:23:06 PM »
Where's literary lexi when you need her?

jgruber

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2004, 08:20:12 PM »
You find babies annoying?  Hmmmmm

jeffjoe I find the photo with the baby annoying. Is that supposed to show us how you are a Sensitive Loving Human Being?

darren

• Sr. Citizen
  • Nader / Camejo 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2004, 08:26:03 PM »
A few weeks ago, my softball team was playing against a bunch of drunken assholes who kept wanting to start fights with us.  At one point, their pitcher starting shaking the fence in front of our dugout in a fit of rage.  It was pretty funny.

Anyway, after the game, during the handshake, he carried his 2 little kids on the field, I guess trying to show what a good guy he is.  What a dipshit.

This has nothing to do with jeffjoe though.  I'm sure he's a good dad, teaching the next generation all about social justice.

The only annoying thing on this board are comments like:

GPA - 3.55 Overall, 3.75 Last 3 Years
LSAT - 169,171 on Timed Practice Tests

noell.sweet

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2004, 08:31:18 PM »
Dependent is NOT a noun.  Dependent is only an adjective, and dependant is the noun, that's why they say it is a variant of dependent.  It's the "noun version" of dependent.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=dependant

In college I got "scolded" for not knowing this, so I had a lovely 1 1/2 hour lecture on it!  :-\

dependent is also a noun

jgruber

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2004, 08:32:46 PM »
I can read, ya know.  My dictionary said that dependent is a noun.

de·pend·ent (d-pndnt)
adj.

1. Contingent on or subordinate to another.
   2. Relying on or requiring the aid of another for support.
   3. Hanging down.

n.

One who relies on another especially for financial support.

Dependent is NOT a noun.  Dependent is only an adjective, and dependant is the noun, that's why they say it is a variant of dependent.  It's the "noun version" of dependent.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=dependant

In college I got "scolded" for not knowing this, so I had a lovely 1 1/2 hour lecture on it!  :-\

dependent is also a noun

noell.sweet

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2004, 08:42:09 PM »
Whoa, chill out ... I'm not saying *I AM RIGHT YOU ARE WRONG*, I am just saying that is what *I* was taught.  If I'm wrong, it's all good ... no problem ... that's just what *I* was taught ...

de·pend·ent (d-pndnt)
adj.

3. Hanging down.

n.

jgruber

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2004, 08:44:03 PM »
OK.  I wasn't worked up over it.

Whoa, chill out ... I'm not saying *I AM RIGHT YOU ARE WRONG*, I am just saying that is what *I* was taught.  If I'm wrong, it's all good ... no problem ... that's just what *I* was taught ...

de·pend·ent (d-pndnt)
adj.

3. Hanging down.

n.