Law School Discussion

Is this a good topic for my PS?

Is this a good topic for my PS?
« on: April 14, 2006, 02:13:37 PM »
I have a lot of work to do on it, but I wrote a rough draft for my PS. The topic is basically about having a baby at the age of 17 and overcoming the difficulties associated with being a teenage single parent. This also explains some problems I had early on in college. I know those can be explained in an addendum, but it seemed to flow from my topic, so I went with it. I am not sure if it helps my chances by showing the problems I have overcome to get where I am now, or if it hurts my chances by showing that I have responsibilities other than school that are very important to me. I don't know that there is any way of getting around that information, though, since I need to provide that information to explain certain aspects of my transcript. What do you think?

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a good topic for my PS?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 02:29:00 PM »
They won't hold it against you.  Try out a PS and email it to me. I can take a look at whether you are making that topic work. 

I personally, would rather use my PS to write about something else, then use the addendum to give more info.  Take advantage of the situation to write more about yourself.

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 02:43:56 PM »
I sent it to you in a pm, since your email is hidden. I hope that's okay.

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 02:57:04 PM »
Thank you both for your advice, btw.  :)

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 11:47:31 PM »
You are welcome!  I am sure you will get into the school of your dreams!

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 12:18:08 AM »
You are welcome!  I am sure you will get into the school of your dreams!

Thank you. I hope you are right.  :)

aerynn

• Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 08:11:08 PM »
I think it is a great PS.  I would be happy to read it as well, if you want.  My email isn't hidden if you want to send it over. :)

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 08:42:12 PM »
Thanks. I'll go ahead and send it.  :)

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 10:09:41 PM »
I have a lot of work to do on it, but I wrote a rough draft for my PS. The topic is basically about having a baby at the age of 17 and overcoming the difficulties associated with being a teenage single parent. This also explains some problems I had early on in college. I know those can be explained in an addendum, but it seemed to flow from my topic, so I went with it. I am not sure if it helps my chances by showing the problems I have overcome to get where I am now, or if it hurts my chances by showing that I have responsibilities other than school that are very important to me. I don't know that there is any way of getting around that information, though, since I need to provide that information to explain certain aspects of my transcript. What do you think?

I think this is a great idea and it doesn't see like it would be a "why me" or complaining/making excuses type of PS. 

Send it to me if you want... xoxchyna9xox@gmail.com

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 10:15:08 PM »
Thank you. I sent it to you.  :)