Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: anyone going to a school they barely considered when they applied?  (Read 3228 times)

reynolda

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - fashunista4ward
    • View Profile
Re: anyone going to a school they barely considered when they applied?
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 08:17:43 PM »
USC for me as well.  I liked the programs a lot, and it's a good school, but I really expected (very naively... my undergrad basically sends zero people a year to good law schools outside of the mid-west and the "pre-law advising" is truly an abomination) to get into one of the 6 I really wanted to go to (all t-14's).  As this obviously didn't happen, USC was next down on my list as far as things I wanted (small class size, interdisciplinary focus, urban atmosphere), so that's where I'm headed :)
i like complicated :)

thenextstep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2006, 09:33:44 PM »
Yep, Michigan.  I only applied because I told my partner (he likes Ann Arbor) I would if I got a fee waiver - which I did.  Then the Darrow... which I have to say is still mind-blowing.  Before that I was pretty sure UNC or American would win for money and academic environment in the end (wanting to get back to the South and do public interest)... not true.  I really did no research on Michigan before applying other than enough to make a school-specific PS reasonable.  But I'm really excited about it!  God the Law Quad is gorgeous!

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2006, 09:43:58 PM »
USC for me as well. I liked the programs a lot, and it's a good school, but I really expected (very naively... my undergrad basically sends zero people a year to good law schools outside of the mid-west and the "pre-law advising" is truly an abomination) to get into one of the 6 I really wanted to go to (all t-14's). As this obviously didn't happen, USC was next down on my list as far as things I wanted (small class size, interdisciplinary focus, urban atmosphere), so that's where I'm headed :).

Did you go to UW- Milwaukee too?  The pre-law advisor there didn't know what public interest law was or what an LRAP was!!!

laurrk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2006, 09:54:59 PM »
For me it's Syracuse. I only applied to Syracuse because my mother went there for undergrad, and I knew it would make her happy if I applied there. When I got in with a good scholarship I figured it would be stupid not to visit, and for some reason I loved the school. I questioned my decision a little when they dropped out of the top 100, but oh well - I think I'll be very happy there. Thanks Mom. :)

talula8828

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2006, 11:37:40 PM »
Yup, BU.  I only wasn't considering it seriously because I thought maybe I'd want a big change and leave Boston.  But they offered me a scholarship I couldn't refuse.  Plus, i think law school will be enough of a change anyways. :P

mdpeterson42

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2006, 03:47:38 AM »
Well, as of right now, it looks like I'll be going to Loyola, my safety school. I thought I had a good chance to get into either NU, G-Town, UCLA or USC but it's looking worse everyday. I kinda hoped they might put more weight on my second LSAT score (170) than my average. Plus I thought they would give me a bit of a break on my GPA because I worked at least one job for my entire undergrad life, and I have worked for two years since getting the BA. But, now I have resigned myself to the possibility of going to Loyola, and actually warmed up to the idea after visiting the school.
Lets get married: Loyola, Hastings, Davis, George Mason
It's not you, it's me. OK - it's you: Berkeley, Georgetown, UCLA
If it doesn't work out with my current boyfriend, I'll choose you: Northwestern, William & Mary, USC

Deus Ex Machina

• Sr. Citizen
  • Magnus frater spectat te
    • View Profile
    • Take the Roger Water's Cynicism test!
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2006, 03:53:00 AM »
I was accepted at the University of Hawaii. I may go there because they place well in Honolulu (I lived there for several years in the 90s and I might relocate permanently back there)
Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos were lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armor and shouting 'All gods are bastards.'-T.Pratchett

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2006, 08:46:17 AM »
I applied to W&M because of the fee waiver, but all the communication from Admissions really showed how much the school had to offer.  Then I went to visit and I knew right away that it was where I wanted to be.
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

bobcat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2006, 08:48:57 AM »
Aside from the University of Arizona, which was my top choice and where I'll probably be waitlisted, all of the schools I seriously considered were ones that I thought I'd never attend.  I didn't even apply to Minnesota until a month after I thought I had sent in my last application.  I only applied to the University of Illinois because they gave me a fee waiver, and now I've fallen in love with their Law&Econ program.  My ASU deposit check is sitting on my desk, waiting to be mailed (and waiting for me to FINALLY decide), and two months ago they were nothing more than a total safety. 

Before the cycle started, I was almost 100% sure that the decision would come down to being between the University of Utah (my alma mater), and the University of Arizona.  The former rejected me, and the latter hasn't given me a decision yet.  Funny how things work out.
Accepted: Arizona State, DePaul ($$), Illinois ($$), Indiana-Bloomington, Minnesota
Waitlisted: Arizona
Rejected: Utah

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=bdoxey

jbs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2006, 10:31:58 AM »
out of 13 apps (though honestly almost all of them were reaches, lol) only one has accepted me so far...and i didn't even plan on applying.  golden gate university sent me a fee waiver so i figured, "why not?"  good thing i did because 5 months they're the only ones seriously interested in me.  i was placed on usf's waitlist (and they were one of my top choices) so maybe this will change. 
"i don't know what you're afraid of
i don't know what you've heard
get up, come on, let's do something
dontcha wanna know the Word"

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jbs