Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: anyone going to a school they barely considered when they applied?  (Read 3220 times)

john83

just wondering. as this is me.

azdezza

Re: anyone going to a school they barely considered when they applied?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 04:12:20 PM »
Yes, Duke.  I was fairly sure when I applied that I wanted to be in the Chicago area.  I was hoping to get into NU but thought Notre Dame was more likely.  I really hated NU when I visited.  I fell in love with Duke (and am easily persuaded by $$$  ;))

artie205

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 04:25:07 PM »
University of Oregon.  My expectations about my chances of getting in at University of Washington and UC Hastings were totally unrealistic.  I didn't even expect to have to consider going to U of O, but I didn't get into UW and haven't heard from Hastings, so my deposit is in the mail.  I have definitely warmed to the idea of being a Duck over the past few weeks.  Almost to the point that I don't know if I want to get accepted to Hastings, because then I'll have to rethink everything to make a final decision. If anyone in Hastings admissions is reading this, I'm totally just kidding.

kapstone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 04:32:02 PM »
USC.  I lived in Boston when I applied, and applied because I needed some more t-20, but not t-14 schools, but always thought of it as the University of Spoiled Children (and still do a little).  I moved to SF this January, love Cali, got into real estate development, and might head to USC because it would allow me to stay in Cali (a different part, but still) and because it  has a good real estate program. 
Hopefully more Sam Seaborn than Richard Nixon....

john83

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 04:39:23 PM »
it's so interesting how this pans out. honestly, i applied to bama b/c of the fee waiver, and i thought in january, what the heck, i need another app out.

low and behold, while alabama was near the bottom of my list when i applied, it now sits at the top. this is what a first class admissions office can do.

ashke14

• AOL Instant Messenger - Kalenedral14
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 04:42:31 PM »
If I do wind up at UCLA, which is looking quite possible depending on what I hear in the coming weeks, then yeah.  I initially applied to them just to have a possible option for staying in Cali, and because the numbers matched up, but while I always thought of them as a good school, I'd never even really wandered their website much, or the campus, even though it's close.  Now, though, they are a very appealing option - go figure!

joeyd005

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 04:53:46 PM »
yeah, for me it was vanderbilt.  i applied to 14 schools, half of them being long shots and half of them more realistic schools.  vanderbilt was the last school i threw in, and i dont even remember why i did include in.  i was confident i would get into a good amount of places, and at that time vanderbilt was probably the last place i would have gone to.  but as everyone knows, you learn a ton more about these schools after youve applied and been accepted.  now i would choose vanderbilt over any of those "realistic" schools and over some long shots as well. 
Cornell son

natsirt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 06:07:44 PM »
UIUC.  I was dead set on William and Mary or Cornell, but the application to UIUC was0 free so I figured why not.  Then when I got accepted and learned about the school I decided I loved it.

05lawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 06:45:08 PM »
Yes, I considered Utah because Salt Lake is absolutely beautiful but then never gave it much thought.  I ended up applying two days before the priority deadline, and just assumed I would be rejected anyway so I never gave it much thought.  And by some chance they accepted me and now I'm off! That's exactly what I did with undergrad as well, was considering two schools and then all the sudden decided to go to another one. It worked out well then so hopefully i'll have the same luck!

ChlorasepticRelief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 07:29:03 PM »
I only applied to IUB because they gave me a fee waiver.

Heading to Indiana University, Bloomington