Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How much does race affect admissions?  (Read 7317 times)

John Galt

Re: How much does race affect admissions?
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2006, 02:55:58 AM »
why is that?

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2006, 02:56:09 AM »
They should both matter IMO.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2006, 02:58:14 AM »
why is that?

Poverty is a barrier to opportunity, like it or not. Being black is not a barrier to beeing intellectually capable. To the extent that many blacks and hispanics would still qualify because of high poverty rates in their community, i am all for that.

John Galt

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2006, 03:03:35 AM »
why is that?

Poverty is a barrier to opportunity, like it or not. Being black is not a barrier to beeing intellectually capable. To the extent that many blacks and hispanics would still qualify because of high poverty rates in their community, i am all for that.

Wow, I agree with this entire post, yet I disagree that SES should be more of a factor than race. Why not both since being a minority is a barrier to opportunity as well. Being poor is not a barrier to being intellectually capable.

Unless of course we are talking about SES as social scientists define it which includes race :)

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2006, 03:06:00 AM »
in our society, poverty is. as for race, yes there are racist bastards still out there, but we have enough laws to protect minorities. Should it be no factor? no it should but economic status should weigh more now.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2006, 03:07:42 AM »
I think race should count, I think SES should count. I think SES should count more than race.  That means I just agreed with Ivywhore.  ???
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

John Galt

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2006, 03:10:54 AM »
perhaps. I'm not opposed to the poverty argument. Its pretty compelling IMO. Statistically speaking, however, since there are more poor whites out there, it would seem they would get the competitive advantage of a system weighing poverty and not race or weighing poverty greater than race. So such a system could result in law schools being even less diverse than they are now. On the flip side, poor whites deserve opportunities as well and the door is not exactly open for them in terms of professional school admissions. So its a tough issue.

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2006, 03:12:26 AM »
perhaps. I'm not opposed to the poverty argument. Its pretty compelling IMO. Statistically speaking, however, since there are more poor whites out there, it would seem they would get the competitive advantage of a system weighing poverty and not race or weighing poverty greater than race. So such a system could result in law schools being even less diverse than they are now. On the flip side, poor whites deserve opportunities as well and the door is not exactly open for them in terms of professional school admissions. So its a tough issue.

it is.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2006, 03:13:36 AM »
I don't think it would result in a competitive advantage to whites. Most poor students that I know who have gone to law school have also been minorities. However, poor people in general should be recognized for overcoming adversity, beating the odds etc.

-TMcGraw

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2006, 03:14:41 AM »
I don't think it would result in a competitive advantage to whites. Most poor students that I know who have gone to law school have also been minorities. However, poor people in general should be recognized for overcoming adversity, beating the odds etc.

poverty hurts...in many ways.