Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How much does race affect admissions?  (Read 7529 times)

petitschoque

Re: How much does race affect admissions?
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2006, 08:40:22 AM »
Fincavigia, I can't help but notice that you didn't answer my first question. So here it is again:

1. Are you somehow unaware of the fact that blacks aren't the only group to benefit from Affirmative Action? Hispanics and Native Americans also get a "boost" yet people like you never mention those two groups. Why is this?

You don't start a lot of threads about Affirmative Action. You start a lot of threads about Affirmative Action and blacks. Why is it that you scapegoat only this one group? Does Affirmative Action only bother you when it benefits blacks or why the focus on blacks only?

fincavigia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2006, 11:46:01 AM »
I said blacks becaause I've been told that Latinos get a much smaller boost in admissions (2 or 3 LSAT points compared to about 10 points).EDIT: That said, in the unlikely event I try to start a similar thread, I'll just say URM.

As for "You say that GPA/LSAT is all schools care about and yet you "ask" if they're lower at a given school for black students. I see a problem in your post. Do you?" I don't understand the question. Are saying that GPA/LSAT are not really all schools care about or are you saying that I should have said GPA/LSAT race are all schools care about? Or are you saying something else?

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2006, 12:00:11 PM »
i'm not a racist.  i just like to go to klan meetings.  hey, they have bbq.   ;D
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

petitschoque

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2006, 12:54:16 PM »
I said blacks becaause I've been told that Latinos get a much smaller boost in admissions (2 or 3 LSAT points compared to about 10 points).

Ehnnn. Your explanation does not suffice. Please try again.

The sources that specify points actaully say that hispanics get 5 to 7. The fact that you are (deliberately, I'm sure) understating the impact of AA in their admissions speaks volumes. What also speaks volumes is the fact that you conveniently don't mention that American Indians get the highest "boost" of all--10+ LSAT points. So if you're going by who gets the greatest boost, wouldn't your trollish attempts focus on Native Americans? And before you try the "there aren't that many native Americans in law school" BS card I'm sure you'd like to pull out, let's not forget that there are many of your fellow whites with 1/2 a drop of native American blood who put Native American on their apps and skate by under that technicality. Look around this site for the "my great-great-grandfather seventeen times removed bought a brood mare from an american indian, can I put American Indian on my app" threads and ask if there's anyone who doesn't know white people who were rediscovering the Sitting Bull in them during admissions. So while the actual number of full-blooded NAs might be lower, there is no shortage of mixed people and dishonest others with no ties to the culture who still use the "advantage."

SO, the basic point is that your excuse of "blacks get more points" fails miserably and really no explanation at all because if that was what your POV was really based on, you'd be focusing on American Indians.

Were you somehow unaware of this, Fincavigia?

Now let me repose the question before I condemn you as the trollish and most likely anti-black, insidious little sneak that I think you are:

In light of the fact (that I'm sure you knew since you were able to pull out "points" to bolster your fib) that blacks do not get the most points, why do your threads still focus on them and only them?

fincavigia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2006, 06:23:24 PM »
You make some pretty bold statements. Whatever I say, you seem to come up with some sophmoric little quip and then proceed to tell me I'm racist.

Case in point: "Ehnnn. Your explanation does not suffice. Please try again."- Come on man, you've got to do better than that. You just sound like an a-hole.

I think I'm done responding to stuff like this. I'm sorry about your erroneous impression of me as an "anti-black, insidious little sneak," but I think I'm just going to have to find some way to carry that weight.

Ever

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2006, 08:16:47 PM »
Legacies give much more money than non legacies. Also, I think Blacks are most often associated with AA because the main public advocates of the program are black. Hispanics and Native Americans lack a bold public figure like say Jessie Jackson. JS

-------

Anyway, AA is an imperfect response to a problem that simply has to be addressed. No one can honestly deny the need for racial and cultural diversity at a school and in general minorities are not given the same socio-economic opportunities as whites are as a race. Yes, there are disadvantaged whites, but that is not the issue. There are enough whites who are not disadvantaged that their representation in various public/private sectors has never been a problem. Those individuals who benefit from the program are not less qualified.

Yale has no interest in having a stupid person in their classrooms. As has been said elsewhere the admission committee knows that an individual with a 3.6/164 can do the work required at the school. The problem is they have enough 4.0/175ís applying that the 164 cannot compete in the admissions process. However, the school does not have enough URMs with 4.0/175 numbers and therefore lower GPA/LSAT numbers can compete. They are no less able to succeed within the school or the profession because of their intelligence.

AA is not a punishment it is a social correction. Suck it up and realize the immense and institutionalized racism that these groups have been subjected to by this country which still negatively influences these populations today. Attacking the system by saying they are less qualified fails to take into account these historic injustices as well as the fact that these groups are under represented within certain professions as a direct result of those injustices. Any Anglo who lives in Cali or Texas most likely owes their land to a disenfranchised Californio or Tejano family and similar things can be said about Black, Indians, etc. We may not have benefited from past racism directly but our race certainly has.

Then again I am most likely wrong. I never bothered with AA or this board before.

petitschoque

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2006, 12:42:58 AM »
You make some pretty bold statements.

The truth demands boldness.

Whatever I say, you seem to come up with some sophmoric little quip and then proceed to tell me I'm racist.

That's because you're trying to be clever with your flimsy excuses about why you have this clearly unnecessary and undue focus on blacks. I won't treat you with even a bit of respect when your behavior is spineless and sneaky. You have yet to offer a plausible alternative explanation so you leave the obvious--that your real issue is with blacks not Affirmative Action.

Case in point: "Ehnnn. Your explanation does not suffice. Please try again."- Come on man, you've got to do better than that. You just sound like an a-hole.

Nice try, "man"...but the point of the exchange between us is why you are focusing on blacks. So don't try to reroute the discussion.

I think I'm done responding to stuff like this. I'm sorry about your erroneous impression of me as an "anti-black, insidious little sneak," but I think I'm just going to have to find some way to carry that weight.

Good. It's better for you to run off when you've run out of ways to dodge the truth than for you to keep abusing my intelligence with your half-assed explanations and avoidance. And don't even try to pretend that you're slinking off because of my (true) observations about you. You're slinking off with your tail between your legs because you've been cornered and have nothing else to say for yourself.

There's something to be said for boldness, Fincavigia. I might be a jackass but I'm an audacious, forthright jackass and always put my hands where people's eyes can see (name that song!). It's really loathesome that you start these threads about blacks, knowing where they'll go, knowing your true intention yet trying to pull the wool over people's eyes with horrid disclaimers like this one:

I'm not advocating either side with this so don't flame me.

...as if anyone's fooled. You don't even do a good job of being dodgy yet want others to play along as if you didn't already tell on yourself. I mean "how much does race affect admissions"--if my dog could type, she'd troll with more subtlety than that. What a stupid, transparent question.

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2006, 02:51:08 AM »
too damn much

John Galt

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2006, 02:53:26 AM »
not enough.

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2006, 02:55:18 AM »
economically disadvantaged should be more of a factor than race.