Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How much does race affect admissions?  (Read 7662 times)

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
Re: How much does race affect admissions?
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2006, 03:22:14 AM »
For one thing poor people don't have LSAT prepcourse $$.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2006, 03:25:14 AM »
For one thing poor people don't have LSAT prepcourse $$.

or study abroad or good recommenders or parents with time to help w/hw etc....many problems.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2006, 03:27:24 AM »
I had good recommendations ... but only because of my work experience. The parents didn't help a damn bit.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2006, 03:30:58 AM »
I had good recommendations ... but only because of my work experience. The parents didn't help a damn bit.

good deal db. the one benefit is you learn self-reliance.  :)

Ever

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2006, 09:28:22 PM »
economically disadvantaged should be more of a factor than race.

Did you not agree with what I posted then?

Lsassy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2006, 11:06:00 PM »
Hummm, are you sure that "unless they have absolutely phenomenal connections no white male with a LSAT lower than 175 is getting into Yale", because I happen to know a few of them who got admitted with a 172, 170 and (gasp!)a 168 .  Oh and by the way, when schools publish their median LSATs and GPAs, it inherently means that some people will fall below and above that number. Sheeshhh, one would hope that someone planning on attending (or who is currently in) law school could figure that out, à moins que tu sois un imbécile, hein Merde?

You're right I should have said 170, my mistake. I don't know about the friend you're mentioning, but if you check LSN there isn't any nonURM admit with less than 170.
Really, there's no need to prove how correct you're screen name by including generally bitchy comments and poor french.

The reason most people don't get upset about legacy admissions is because legacy does not carry nearly as much weight as people argueing for AA like to assume. It's not a defining characteristic of an application and isn' going to get you an admit if you're numbers are below the school's average.

I seldom post on these boards, but I'd like for you, Merde, what an appropriate name might I add, point to any grammatical error in my phrase.  In fact, I did you a favor by correcting "absolutely" for you when I quoted you.  In any case, you cannot question my French.  Why didn't you respond to my reply in french, huh?  FYI, French is my first language, I was educated at Sciences-Po, so do not for a minute  think about questioning my french, especially when you have when you have nothing to show for.  I'm not going to argue with you about the Yale comment, any logical person would agree with me that one does not have to score above a 170 to be admitted into Yale...what then would explain those with above 170s and aren't admitted.  I was under the weird impression that a combination of factors went into the decision making process of admissions committees.

Alas, I rest my case, it's no use arguing with a wall.

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2006, 11:20:19 PM »
I have posted it many times, but I don't think AA is about social justice.  It just isn't.  The social justice idea is that we help the deserving who need just a little boost, but being needy does not make you deserving, its just the status you were born into, whether it is fair or not-wealth inequality is part of the system we live in (for all races).  Furthermore, if you made it to the point where a little boost is all you need, then you are going to get out of poverty already, for example, you would already have a college degree and such.  I can't say for sure I understand AA, if somebody researched the history of it, it would make for a fasnciating journal note, but I can tell its not about social justice. 

2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

Ever

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2006, 12:24:28 AM »
I have posted it many times, but I don't think AA is about social justice.  It just isn't.  The social justice idea is that we help the deserving who need just a little boost, but being needy does not make you deserving, its just the status you were born into, whether it is fair or not-wealth inequality is part of the system we live in (for all races).  Furthermore, if you made it to the point where a little boost is all you need, then you are going to get out of poverty already, for example, you would already have a college degree and such.  I can't say for sure I understand AA, if somebody researched the history of it, it would make for a fasnciating journal note, but I can tell its not about social justice. 

It is about social justice. Being born into a family whose ancestor were slaves and whose father was denied a basic college education simply because he was black is not some social status you are born into. Today’s minorities are not victims of economics or their fathers failing to pull themselves up by their boot straps.

Both the Attacks on the programs and the defenses center on social justice. The scolarly articles are out there for you to find - Hell I am reading one right now on the subject.

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2006, 12:37:15 AM »
We definitely disagree on this.  Please contribute to my what drives AA thread though if you have a strong feeling on the subject.  Actually we agree to some degree, I think everything you said about being born into a family whose ancestors were slaves is very much indeed part of the social system and social history.  Poor white people did not get there magically either, they come from a host of backgrounds and faced social prejudice to that contributed to their economic and social status.  I think what you meant to say was that though they are both about social status you are born into, one is different than the other for historical purposes and from a collective conscience purpose.  If thats what you meant than I agree with it, but that doesn't necessarily imply AA is based on social justice.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

Ever

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2006, 12:43:14 AM »
I will take a look at the thread and comment if I feel I need to.