Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Alabama  (Read 2868 times)

midgetpiggyback

• View Profile
Alabama
« on: April 14, 2006, 01:46:24 PM »
I've done a search already, but most conversations have to do with Alabama's reputation in the south, football, and Tuscaloosa. This is all helpful, but does anyone have any specific information about the program (i.e. quality of professors, clinical opportunities, overall strengths or weaknesses, academic atmosphere, etc.)? Thanks for any info.

john83

Re: Alabama
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 03:59:29 PM »
I've done a search already, but most conversations have to do with Alabama's reputation in the south, football, and Tuscaloosa. This is all helpful, but does anyone have any specific information about the program (i.e. quality of professors, clinical opportunities, overall strengths or weaknesses, academic atmosphere, etc.)? Thanks for any info.

okay, let me address what i can from my limited knowledge...

quality of professors: i think alabama has "quality" faculty. it's not full of ivy-league scholars, but it does have a number of faculty who are passionate about their work and the students. students at alabama don't brag about the knowledge of their teachers so much as they brag about the approachability and availability of the faculty. take that as you may. i truly believe that alabama teachers are knoweldgeable and will teach me the legal concepts necessary for success in the field, but i think the best asset of the professors at alabama is that they are there to help you along the way.

clinical opportunities: i'd say alabama's clinicals are average. they don't have an exceptional program, but they do offer 5 clinics, and the new wing will have new offices for the clinicals, which will be pretty nice. i think they have enough clinics for most people to get in if they want, and enough that you have some options as to what type of clinic you are interested in. besides that, i always thought clinics were a bit of what you make of them.

strengths: i think the openness of the admnistration is a huge strength. from what i understand, the dean of the law shool is always available to meet with students over concerns. i really felt like every one working there would do whatever they could to help you succeed. i also think the ability to get to know your professors is a huge asset. i heard about prof's hanging out with their students on a regular basis, which to me is pretty cool. i assume that these professors will then be able to write great letters of recommendation, refer students to good jobs or to others who can help, etc. i also believe alabama's alumni network will be a huge asset. from what i understand, alabama alumni stick together well.

weaknesses: i think that alabama is primarily a regional school. therefore, jobs in New York, California, etc will be very very hard to come by. but if you are okay with working in the south, alabama is great. however, alabama's not the school you should go to if you have big dreams of working at Skadden or something. i enjoyed my meeting with career services when i was there, but i heard that career services at alabama could use some work. they help a lot, but you still have a lot of legwork to do on your own. however, the new facilities will make it easier for interviewers to come on campus, which will be a bonus. but the career services guy promised me that if i ranked well, he'd make sure i got the exact job i wanted--and i'm going to hold him to that. another weakness is diversity. with only 10% minorities there, everyone is white. which, as a minority, is a bit daunting. but the dean did tell me that they are working hard at recruiting minorities. and they worked hard to recruit me, so i'd say they are true to ther word.

academic atmosphere: i got the sense it was relaxed. it definitely wasn't academically "stuffy" or anything. i think the students genuinely got along with each other, so there's wasn't a sense of overcompetitiveness. in classes, when students answered, i didn't notice a lot of gunners trying to impress the prof with their broad range of legal knowledge. i think it's a place you can learn, but have fun as well. it's not all, "work, work, work" and "study, study, study." although, there's certainly a lot of work and study.

hope this helped.

mto83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 05:08:21 PM »
I wish I knew what I am getting into as well.

lash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 07:52:54 PM »

Listen, I went to the University of Alabama for my undergraduate degree. I do not recommend the school for minorities.  You will not feel one with the student body.  I am a middle eastern woman and I do not like the racist atmosphere that I have experiened here.  If I were you, I would take my acceptance to the Univ. of Miami.  They have a TON of diversity and you will get more out of their education.  Alabama is a good regional school.  Do you want to stay in the south?  They are trying to recruit minorites, but barely.  Anyway, best of luck and if you have anymore other questions I would love to answer them.

Alan Minor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 03:51:49 AM »

Listen, I went to the University of Alabama for my undergraduate degree. I do not recommend the school for minorities.  You will not feel one with the student body.  I am a middle eastern woman and I do not like the racist atmosphere that I have experiened here.  If I were you, I would take my acceptance to the Univ. of Miami.  They have a TON of diversity and you will get more out of their education.  Alabama is a good regional school.  Do you want to stay in the south?  They are trying to recruit minorites, but barely.  Anyway, best of luck and if you have anymore other questions I would love to answer them.

I'm a black male, and an undergrad at BAMA. I must say that I disagree with your characterization of Alabama and its student body. Can you please reference and example of a racist atmosphere? Your sentiment is a bit vague (to me).

lash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 08:31:48 PM »

I'm a black male, and an undergrad at BAMA. I must say that I disagree with your characterization of Alabama and its student body. Can you please reference and example of a racist atmosphere? Your sentiment is a bit vague (to me).

Should I start with the slave quarters that are still present on our campus?  Should I start with our segregrated but "equal" sororities and fraternities"?  Or should I merely reference the amount of times I've heard the "N" word since I've been here?  Or should I reference the sorority girls who told me that "Americans should only marry other Americans" and all the other ignorant comments I've heard while at this campus. 

I came from a big city where I was not used to this flagrant disregrad for integration and community building through diversity.  Maybe you're happy with the status quo, but I know that things can be better and until they are I do not recommend this campus to other minorities.

mto83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 11:33:30 PM »
You can't fix anything by running away from it. As a gay, Asian male, my existence will rub some people the wrong way, but one of the reason I chose to do so is to make people question their current existence.

On another note, Miami treated me like crap. After NYU, I cannot pay more money for people to treat me like crap.

verbal

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - verbaltrinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 11:51:18 PM »
how did miami treat u like crap. they were always very pleasent with me?
Attending: OU

mto83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 10:06:33 AM »
ok, indifference--so in my mind it was relatively crappy.  :P

stc34

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 12:25:18 PM »

Should I start with the slave quarters that are still present on our campus?  Should I start with our segregrated but "equal" sororities and fraternities"?  Or should I merely reference the amount of times I've heard the "N" word since I've been here?  Or should I reference the sorority girls who told me that "Americans should only marry other Americans" and all the other ignorant comments I've heard while at this campus. 

I came from a big city where I was not used to this flagrant disregrad for integration and community building through diversity.  Maybe you're happy with the status quo, but I know that things can be better and until they are I do not recommend this campus to other minorities.

Sororities and fraternities are segregated all over the country.  This is a problem, but it's not a problem exclusive to Alabama.  Plus, they're not segregated by policy or rule, they're segregated for the same reason that many residencial areas are: choice.  It's a huge problem, and very sad.  But it's not only a problem in Alabama.