Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ranking is flawed... - Deans speak out!  (Read 3386 times)

azrakunblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ranking is flawed... - Deans speak out!
« on: April 14, 2006, 01:31:09 PM »
Have you received an LSAC email directing you to a letter endorsed by various ABA-approved schools’ deans?
It ponders how the ranking does not provide full picture and does not serve a good purpose.

“These ranking systems are inherently flawed because none of them can take your special needs and circumstances into account when comparing law schools.”

http://www.lsac.org/LSAC.asp?url=/lsac/deans-speak-out-rankings.asp
I am a fresh immigrant. Please bear with my English skills :-)

ACK!

• Sr. Citizen
  • RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking is flawed... - Deans speak out!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 01:39:09 PM »
yeah, I got that. It's been up on the LSAC website forever.
U Chi '09

azrakunblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 01:46:00 PM »

Ok. I did not know. But I think it is positive to hear such strong voices opposing this whole ranking mania. You can not get full picture of a school based on those rankings. There is not a casual relationship between lower ranked school and unsuccessful law carrier.

YeShallBeGods

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 02:58:22 PM »

Ok. I did not know. But I think it is positive to hear such strong voices opposing this whole ranking mania. You can not get full picture of a school based on those rankings. There is not a casual relationship between lower ranked school and unsuccessful law carrier.

I personally question the motives behind many of the Deans that endorse the letter each year... it always comes across as very tongue-in-cheek to me.

lawnecon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 03:23:43 PM »
I like how the deans speak out against the rankings, but if a school increases its standing in USNWR (or tends to always rank well), the law school makes sure to trumpet the fact on its website and in all of its literature.
Villanova Law School Class of '09

"I don't believe in nothing, no more - I'm going to law school!" Jimbo Jones (The Simpsons)

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 03:25:06 PM »
I like that the deans of the higher ranked schools endorsed this letter. When the OP made this post, I thought all the deans who would feel this way would be from lower ranked schools. It's nice to see that even the highly ranked schools feel that the rankings are flawed.

azrakunblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 03:33:22 PM »
I like that the deans of the higher ranked schools endorsed this letter. When the OP made this post, I thought all the deans who would feel this way would be from lower ranked schools. It's nice to see that even the highly ranked schools feel that the rankings are flawed.

Yes. That is true. The first think I checked what schools the deans represent. There are/is from T14 as well (Boalt – at first glance). It gives it more credibility.

Of course ranking appears important, because of justifiable or unjustifiable reasons. My point was that it was nice to hear these voices. People give ranking too much weight – especially we, the potential first years applicants.

Actually I was already admitted and am attending T2 school.

azdezza

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 06:41:57 PM »
I was surprised to see that Northwestern didn't sign on.  I wonder if they had a particular reason for not doing so.

nesnut

• Sr. Citizen
  • Law School is thiiiiiiiis big!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 11:52:16 PM »
i hate rankings.  a lot. 
- P-dub Club: Minister of Entertainment & Recreation
 - Keeper of the Konami Code
 - Co-Founder & Supreme Chancellor: Kick Ass 80s Law Firm: The Law Offices of KTJA & Nesnut,  APC
 - Official Rant-Master of LSD
 - Head of Harem (per Lily)
 - Official Purveyor of Soup of the Revolution

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006, 12:19:05 AM »
I was surprised to see that Northwestern didn't sign on.  I wonder if they had a particular reason for not doing so.

they are the third best school in the midwest behind chicago and michigan and they know it.   nothing to argue about there. 
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.