Law School Discussion

Who controls Iraq?

jgruber

Who controls Iraq?
« on: August 06, 2004, 05:54:29 AM »
Beheadings, bombs, daily death toll, mounting US casualities.

Who controls Iraq?

Re: Who controls Iraq?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 06:03:23 AM »
What kind of question is that?

Are you wanting a true answer or are you implying something?

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 06:06:40 AM »
What do you mean what kind of question is that?  Are you suggesting that the answer is obvious?

I don't know who controls it.  It looks like no one does.

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 06:19:50 AM »
What do you mean what kind of question is that?  Are you suggesting that the answer is obvious?

I meant exactly what I said.  I was not suggesting anything other than trying to understand what you were looking for.  Were you wanting an answer involving the interim Iraqi government,the Americans are still in charge (secretly), terrorists, or were you saying that nobody is leading this country?  I see now from your response you were using your question as a statement to say that nobody was indeed running that country.

jgruber

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 06:22:32 AM »
Sorry if I misunderstood your question.  I said it looks like no one is in charge.

I don't know who or if anyone is in charge.

Do you have some insight?

I meant exactly what I said.  I was not suggesting anything other than trying to understand what you were looking for.  Were you wanting an answer involving the interim Iraqi government,the Americans are still in charge (secretly), terrorists, or were you saying that nobody is leading this country?  I see now from your response you were using your question as a statement to say that nobody was indeed running that country.

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 06:24:46 AM »
I have only my personal beliefs.  I believe that the Iraqi government is trying to take control of their country; however, it is not something that is going to be easy or without problems.  At the moment, there is no absolute controlling authority in Iraq; however, is there truly an absolute controlling authority in any country?

jgruber

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 06:27:50 AM »
I don't doubt that many groups are trying to control the country.

As to does anyone control a country, I admit no one absolutely controls a country.  Let's just define control to mean to the extent of maintaining a significant degree of law, order and safe commerce.

I have only my personal beliefs.  I believe that the Iraqi government is trying to take control of their country; however, it is not something that is going to be easy or without problems.  At the moment, there is no absolute controlling authority in Iraq; however, is there truly an absolute controlling authority in any country?