Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: TULANE LAW SCHOOL THREAD  (Read 34255 times)

bean

• View Profile
Re: TULANE LAW SCHOOL THREAD
« Reply #200 on: July 16, 2006, 10:47:03 PM »
hey, i just rediscovered this website.  as for the drama-fest above, tulane reports that 95% of graduates are employed less than a year after graduation... way i see it, unless you're a status-obsessed nut, those are pretty good odds.  i've already gone far enough in one career to know that ultimately my long-term job prospects & happiness will be determined by my own actions anyway- and the lawyers i know back home were suitably impressed that i'm damn sure attending this school at this time won't be actively holding me back in the least.  but then, i happen to have both high scores AND "an enthusiasm for New Orleans, rebuilding, and public interest work."  ...so maybe my priorities are different.  about the disaster plan, well, that's just a stupid argument.  there's a really good chance a massive earthquake will decimate SF in the next 30 years, but that doesn't seem to keep folks away from Berkeley.  or the New College, for that matter.

wow, got distracted.  really i'm just writing to let my fellow activist types know that plans are already in the works for the creation of both new orleans & tulane chapters of the national lawyer's guild- http://www.nlg.org/.  still in early planning stages, but hit me up if you want listserv/real-life meeting info.

nolalove

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 18, 2006, 04:30:58 PM »
working with people in the gulf coast area over the summer has been absolutely amazing. you all should look forward to meeting some great people.

the student hurricane network has started recruiting students from around the country to continue working in the gulf coast area. we are getting often over 100 responses/week, which is unbelievable.

the orgs we've been working with have been able to put together some interesting projects for students because the efforts at recovery have been able to move past just the basic needs of gutting houses towards helping people fight legal battles for their houses, property and insurance money. (of course, some places are still in desperate need of "basic" and essential support, i just mean to say that it is an interesting time to be a law student here).

on a different note, i had the awesome experience of arriving back in new orleans after travelling around india. when i stepped off the plane, my immediate reaction was, "thank god i'm home!" YAY for new orleans being home.

i tried to throw a party for all of the incoming 1Ls during orientation, but i got rebuffed. . .no release of y'alls email addresses and i don't know how else i'd contact everyone before school starts. . .but anyways, i'll have to wait til later in the semester. . .maybe that's better anyhow for stress relief purposes. still looking forward to meeting everyone!!!

AndyJay

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 24, 2006, 12:39:26 AM »
Hey Bonkers, Jr.,
I saw on your LSN profile that you are interested in animal law activism. In case you don't already know, Tulane has an animal law society. I *think* they were involved with the post-Katrina issues of displaced animals. I'm unsure how active they've been overall, but they were recruiting back in January when we restarted. The student organizations down here are great, so I encourage everyone to roll up their sleeves and join a few, particularly in the capacity of an officer, if possible.

-Andy (TLS '08)

nolalove

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 07, 2006, 03:55:08 AM »
Match Makers For Justice ~ Work With Residents To Help Them Rebuild Their Lives!

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, many residents are still experiencing difficulties in putting their lives back together.   Media attention has noticeably focused on the socio-economic inequities of the rebuilding process increasingly less so.  Aid is flowing into the region, but residents with the greatest need face the greatest difficulties in accessing government assistance.   

Match Makers for Justice (M4J) is a pilot project designed to help displaced residents help themselves by connecting residents with training and a law student advocate to effectively navigate government systems and gain access to quality jobs, education, health care, and housing.   The M4J program will pair interested students with displaced residents, host a training session in New Orleans and provide ongoing support as students and residents work together to help resolve the resident's post-Katrina challenges. For additional details about both SHN and M4J, see studenthurricanenetwork.org or email matchmakers4justice@gmail.com.

What Does my Commitment Entail?

Simply put, each student is expected to: 1) articulate and document the specific challenge(s) faced by the resident; 2) attend a training session in New Orleans with their resident partner on Saturday, September 2, 2006; and 3) help empower their resident to address his/her ongoing challenges in securing quality jobs, education, health care, and housing. Student participants will also be asked to identify their professor mentor and to assist with fundraising for the training session. SHN will work with partner organizations to provide students and residents with necessary informational materials. Additionally, SHN will arrange a network of support structures for both residents and students, including:   survivor council meetings; student support group teams; professor mentors for each law student; cultural competency advisors; and legal aid referral advisors. Participation in the program is a six-week commitment.   

How Do I Apply?

Completed applications must be submitted online by 11:59 p.m. EST, Saturday August 12th. Please note that space will be limited in the pilot program to 60 law students and 60 residents. Questions about the program and/or the application process should be emailed to matchmakers4justice@gmail.com.

cheesesteak

« Reply #204 on: August 14, 2006, 04:53:29 PM »
I am in New Orleans, just drove down from Philly yesterday.  I have two roomies who I could convince to go out if I pulled their legs hard enough.  I would like to meet people before classes start.  I live three blocks from campus and have transportation.  If anyone wants to hang out reply to this thread and we can meet up.

cheesesteak

« Reply #205 on: August 14, 2006, 04:58:48 PM »
PM me and we'll set something up.  I don't want to give everyone on LSD my #.

AndyJay

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 14, 2006, 07:06:25 PM »
Hi Cheesesteak, Bonkers, Jr. and NolaLove,

The upcoming 2L class tends to hang out a lot at the Balcony Bar down on Magazine st. Many of the 2Ls aren't back in town yet. There will be an information presentation on Thursday for all the law societies, and then everyone is going to Phillip's Bar (nearby) after that.

-Andy

cgriffi1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #207 on: October 17, 2006, 03:29:15 PM »
hey, i'm a current tulane senior (undergrad) and was wondering about what i need to get into tht law school. Any advantages bc i attend tulane as an undergrad? What about scholarships and does anyone know what the job market is like for tulane law grads post-K in major cities like NY?

Nickledime85

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 25, 2006, 08:36:40 AM »
Do I have a chance in hell of getting into Tulane with a 3.6 UGPA and a 158 LSAT? It's my number one choice, but I don't want to waste my money applying if it's pointless.
University of Pittsburgh, Class of 2010 :-)

cwalk

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #209 on: October 26, 2006, 03:42:40 PM »
According to chiashu you have a

percent chance of getting in.  It's my number one too, but I'm afraid mine is a lost cause.  But you should definitely go for it with that chance.