Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: TULANE LAW SCHOOL THREAD  (Read 33462 times)

Bow Tied Up

• Sr. Citizen
  • they tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
    • View Profile
Re: TULANE LAW SCHOOL THREAD
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2006, 01:28:45 PM »

I think it's rather safe to say that the people who have returned to New Orleans post-Katrina (and those that are applying to and subsequently attending Tulane, Loyola, etc) WANT to be there.

When visiting the city a few weeks ago, the passion that I associate with New Orleans and her people was still there.  It's just something that has to be "felt" to be understood.

bamabanana

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2006, 01:57:10 PM »
Very intolerant, overly sensitive, downright autocratic.

Bonkers, your point about the survival of American cities is a good one (especially the SF example). However, a school of thought has existed for some time now that insists that the geophysical characteristics of NOLA make its long-term survivability infeasible (i.e. 20ft below sea level, located between a lake and an expanding river, and prone to tropical storms). The govt's reaction so far seems to support that school of thought.

Nola

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2006, 01:53:47 PM »
But you know when you're here, you see all of the businesses that are open and people repairing and improving their homes, and it's pretty hard to envision all of those people just walking away from everything.

Listen, New Orleans right now is like post-Civil War Atlanta.  There's a construction boom.  There are more jobs than ever, paying better wages.  Citizens are newly interested in reforming city government.  There's an influx of government money to support rebuilding the aging infrastructure.   The population is down, but the people who didn't come back are the ones without a lot invested in rebuilding.  Mark my words - when the dust settles, New Orleans will be far better off than it was before.  Smaller perhaps, but with a better quality of life.

As far as law jobs go, if you're interested in insurance, environmental, or criminal law, there's enough work here to employ anyone who shows up.  Everybody is suing everybody else.  Insurance companies, contractors, the city, the Corps of Engineers.  It's a litigator's dream.  I suspect Tulane's law clinic will be doing the lion's share of clearing the backed up criminal courts.  Students will have much more access to actually participate in cases, not just fetch coffee and do research.

The biggest problem right now with buying property is getting insurance.  The insurance companies are dropping like flies and the ones that are staying are jacking up the rates beyond belief.  Eventually the state is going to have to step in but right now it's very hard to get a mortgage because nobody will write new insurance policies.

LegallyDrunk- I live on Jefferson between Claiborne and Freret.  Once you cross Claiborne, the houses do tend to be raised higher, but then the area floods worse too.  In general, people looking at housing should check the flood maps or the city's flood elevation levels and make sure wherever you are moving is above the flood level.  I.e., if the water on that block was 3 feet, look for a place elevated 4 feet.   But even that's only if you feel very cautious.   It's not likely that another flood of this magnitude will occur.  And really, if you're a student living in a rented apartment with second-hand furniture, you don't have that much to lose anyway.  Keep your electronics off the floor, and your fine.

nolalove

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2006, 02:11:35 PM »
I just signed a lease a block and a half from campus on a GREAT property that is also a good deal, compared to all the other properties i looked at/researched. The house is half a double shotgun w/ living room, dining room, kitchen, w/d, two bedrooms and a study, and a backyard and front portch for 1100. i absolutely adore the house and really feel lucky to have gotten it. !!!!

here's my summary of househunting in nola. (i looked for the past week for me and for my sister). there are a lot of overpriced houses right now because there really is a housing shortage, particularly close to campus. on the other hand, there are also landlords who are trying to keep rents relatively reasonable, and you can get a great deal w/ the right amount of research and luck. two bedrooms are much more readily available than three bedrooms, and three bedroom prices have been rising to the point that they no longer really save joint tenants any money. i personally had an excellent experience w/ latter and blum realty (on maple st.) and a terrible experience w/ riverlake properties (i personally would not recommend them. i witnessed a landlord tenant fight, and properties in serious disrepair).

also, if you are willing to live in an area w/ more storm damage in the surrounding area, you can get a house (that has been repaired completely since the hurricane) for roughly one and half to two times the size of mine for similar rent. however, that means you'll have a serious walk/drive to the nearest store and all of your neighbors won't have returned just yet. . .(call "go mango" neighborhood restoration 504-236-5527 if you are interested in property on freret st. about 15 min. walk from the law school in a relatively more damaged neighborhood. i saw two nice and HUGE apartment there for a more than reasonable rent). latter and blum was helping several out of staters find houses, so if you can't be in the city that might be one way to go.

i had been interested in living in the magazine area, but did not see a single listing for a house in that area, nor did any of the agents i spoke w/ have available houses in that area.

and, in other great news, i talked to a graduating tulane ls student and he said, verbatim, "the last three years have been the absolute best. if i could live them all over again, i would."  ;D

Bow Tied Up

• Sr. Citizen
  • they tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2006, 03:00:52 PM »

nolalove,

thanks for the great post; much appreciated.  sad to know that the magazine area won't be the easiest to get into, but i guess it's good to realize that now.  does the market seem to be drying up pretty quickly, or do you think there will still be decent options available in june?

thanks again!

withj

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2006, 06:01:45 PM »
Steering this thread back to its titular origins...

I'm in at Tulane! Woo-Hoo! I got the e-mail yesterday, the turnaround -my app was sent April 5- was spectacular.

Background: I'm what they call a non-traditional applicant (I'll turn 40 first week of December). I took the February 2005 LSAT and scored 168. I retook in October 2005 but cancelled my score.

The real kicker: I don't have an undergraduate degree. There's a whole history behind that fact I won't bore anybody with, but I included a fairly detailed addendum with all my applications explaining why, and why I thought I merited consideration under the ABA 502(b) rule.

So, this cycle I decided to respond to every school that sent a fee waiver, just to see if any would bite. Most didn't, no surprise, but I got accepted at Hofstra and Ave Maria, and wait-listed at Illinois (priority), W&L, and Loyola-Chicago.

I used to post on this site, but cancelled my account a while ago. Had to pop back in to share the news about Tulane.

Good luck to everybody making their decisions.

bamabanana

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2006, 07:54:20 PM »
However, a school of thought has existed for some time now that insists that the geophysical characteristics of NOLA make its long-term survivability infeasible (i.e. 20ft below sea level, located between a lake and an expanding river, and prone to tropical storms).

New Orleans is at varying elevations, as was obvious from Katrina. Parts of it flooded to something like 10+ feet, other parts didn't flood at all.

If you are saying that New Orleans should not survive, you must feel the same way about all of Southeastern Louisiana, much of which is closer to the Gulf of Mexico than New Orleans, is that what you're saying?

Last time I checked, there was also a school of thought that said by allowing some of the flooded areas to return to wetlands it would provide a better barrier against future hurricanes. Is that option no longer on the table? Maybe we should just nuke New Orleans so you don't have to worry about people living there against your will.

Now now Bonkers, you seem too intelligent to lose your cool on this issue. Yes there are minor variations in elevation but it is generally a flat region, most of it part of a flood plain. Look at insurance company behaviour to evaluate the level of concern. They would love to take people's premium payments if they were not so concerned about the flooding potential.

Should we nuke NOLA? Certainly not and please don't even suggest it as members of the Bush Admin might be tempted. NOLA may not disappar. The ghost town scenario, it if occurs would take centuries. However, it will be a much smaller city, less international, less a center of big business and investment, perhaps a charming tourist town, but not too cosmopolitan. Tulane is downsizing to reflect this reality. What will a smaller NOLA and a smaller Tulane mean for the future of the school's prestige and ability to attract the best faculty? I'm not sure.

Few current students would say that their time at Tulane was negative, although some are starting to vent their frustrations. Again, people are making important financial and educational decisions that will impact the rest of their lives. We need to expose all sides of the story. I do not intend to have others decide based on my wishes rather, as the title of this site indicates, to have a discussion.

Bethie204

• Mmmm... Prince. Yummy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2006, 10:37:27 PM »
In all fairness, bamabanana, I think you're really underestimating the people who have decided to attend Tulane.  When I first applied, I did enough research to realize what I was getting myself into.  I know about the levee situation, local politics, population, housing problems, etc.  I've considered what effect the problems in New Orleans will have upon Tulane. I firmly believe that every person who is attending in the fall has taken these issues into account.  For whatever reason, you seem deadset on warning people about the negative aspects of Tulane/NOLA as if they have no clue.  We do!  Can this thread get back to what it was intended to do: share much needed info about Tulane with those who have decided to attend? Please?  Oh yeah, congrats withj!!  :)

bamabanana

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2006, 11:21:37 PM »
In all fairness, bamabanana, I think you're really underestimating the people who have decided to attend Tulane.  When I first applied, I did enough research to realize what I was getting myself into.  I know about the levee situation, local politics, population, housing problems, etc.  I've considered what effect the problems in New Orleans will have upon Tulane. I firmly believe that every person who is attending in the fall has taken these issues into account.  For whatever reason, you seem deadset on warning people about the negative aspects of Tulane/NOLA as if they have no clue.  We do!  Can this thread get back to what it was intended to do: share much needed info about Tulane with those who have decided to attend? Please?  Oh yeah, congrats withj!!  :)

Bethie204,

This is the time when many have narrowed their selections to two or three schools. Some have done extensive research on Tulane and NOLA. Others are still seeking information and advice. This is a great place to share information for decided people and to address concerns abbout the school. There's room for everyone. Let's not censor.

Ever

« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2006, 02:41:33 AM »

Background: I'm what they call a non-traditional applicant (I'll turn 40 first week of December). I took the February 2005 LSAT and scored 168. I retook in October 2005 but cancelled my score.

The real kicker: I don't have an undergraduate degree. There's a whole history behind that fact I won't bore anybody with, but I included a fairly detailed addendum with all my applications explaining why, and why I thought I merited consideration under the ABA 502(b) rule.

No no no. That's pretty impressive and I want to hear this story if you feel like telling it. Also, a 168 is pretty sweet, why did you decide to retake and then cancel as well?

Either way: Way to go! Congrats! Are you going to attend?