Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: TULANE LAW SCHOOL THREAD  (Read 32585 times)

nolalove

• View Profile
Re: TULANE LAW SCHOOL THREAD
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2006, 04:38:07 PM »
awesome, monet and imago.
 ;D

toinore

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2006, 08:41:34 PM »
I am visiting Tulane at the end of April (couldn't get there before then).  So far, I am leaning towards it because of the environmental law programs and the scholarship they offered me.  Anyone know what the curve is like there? 

Pretty far away from my native CA though.....

Ever

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2006, 10:22:53 PM »
It is a B Curve:

In any course with 21 or more JD students, except for the clinics and the clinic seminars, the professor shall award no less than 60% and no more than 65% grades of B and above, and no more than 75% grades of B- and above to those JD students.

If I remember rightly they have an environmental law clinic that sounded down right awesome.

doubletree

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2006, 12:51:21 AM »
I've heard many disturbing stories about the future of Tulane. There are good environmental law programs at other schools so do take this decision seriously.

Also, is it true that Tulane students are not permitted to visit at other law schools?

Ever

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2006, 01:57:27 AM »
I've heard many disturbing stories about the future of Tulane. There are good environmental law programs at other schools so do take this decision seriously.

Also, is it true that Tulane students are not permitted to visit at other law schools?

I haven't heard that, but it might be true. Call and ask if that is an issue and you are considering the school.

Honestly, the school will be fine as long as people don't freak out. There is nothing wrong with the faculty or the campus. They lost four professors this semester, but they are looking for replacements which are the same quality if not better. They didn't touch the endowment in doing repairs, nor did they lower their admissions standards. The entering class is going to be smaller this cycle which means more hands on focus from the teachers. The city itself is iffy, but there is enough money in the area around the school that people will remain tied there. New Orleans will remain a major port because it simply has to be. That would suggest that their maritime programs should be fine. There is a big focus shift at Tulane towards disaster relief AND they are maintaining the current course selection which is already large; over 200 options after the first year. The clinics are great; the quality and variety of the cases they will take can only increase. Same teachers, same library, same alumni, same journals, and same students.

Think of the clinics this way:

Environmental Law: You just lost a city and now you have to clean up the toxic waste and rebuild it cleanly. That should be an activistís wet dream.

Child advocacy: They have the unique problem of having to track down kids and figure out how to help them when they are now in different states. The opportunity to learn about inner state law and to help people is there.

Criminal Defense, Domestic Violence, Public Law, all of them are going to have issues which arise from the disaster.

The dean has the right outlook: the school can find opportunity in disaster and they will as long as people donít abandon everything. There is no reason to dump on the school other than baseless pessimism.

bamabanana

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2006, 02:18:04 AM »
The problems you refer to are real and it will take more than experimenting law students to solve them. Moreover, if the conditions are so bad that students are confined to the upperclass univ. area suburbs, isn't that a rather bland experience to have during law school?

Hedley Lamarr

• Sr. Citizen
  • What in the wide, wide world of sports is agoin on
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2006, 09:27:29 AM »
The students aren't confined to "upperclass university area suburbs," actually the areas that got badly damaged were mostly areas of low-income tract homes where I don't think too many students were gravitating towards in their daily lives anyway.

One thing I am finding on this thread is that people who have not visited tend to be the most alarmist. Maybe you should visit and see for yourself. A lot of people don't understand New Orleans and how a lot of people want to see it come back. It is not just any city. Even the French love New Orleans, and everyone knows they hate America.

Yea and they are all newbies.  Maybe they got waitlisted and are trying to convince someone not to send in their deposit. 
Well, I'd love to stay and chat, but you're a total female dog

What are ya a bunch of Kansas City faggots

bloodbath

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2006, 09:50:01 AM »

If you've heard so many "disturing stories" and would never consider the school, why do you care so much about whether they allow students to visit? This cat probably is on the waitlist.

Seriously, why so much hating on Tulane recently?

fmooy

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2006, 09:55:48 AM »
Well, I just sent in my seat deposit, so I will be seeing you all sometime in late July. I have to agree with Bonkers, there doesn't seem to be any reason for alarm. I haven't visited myself, but given the number of students that returned who didn't have to (i.e. could have transfered to other schools) I feel comfortable going to Tulane. I am really excited about the joint JD / MPH degree at Tulane. It turns out that Tulane's renewal plan is providing some interesting opportunities for incoming law students. The previous MA in International Development is being combined into a new program within the school of public health to form a new International Health and Development degree. The degree will have several different areas of specialization: Emergency and Disaster Management, War as a Public Health Consern, International Health Policy, etc. This will be one of the only programs of its kind in the U.S. On the topic of Housing, is anyone considering buying a condo or something? I would like to, but I don't want to be too far from campus. If anyone knows anything about the real estate market near Tulane, I would appreciate input. Obviously the area directly adjacent to the University will be very expensive, but there must be some neighborhoods within biking distance where prices are reasonable.

Go Green Wave!  

Hedley Lamarr

• Sr. Citizen
  • What in the wide, wide world of sports is agoin on
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2006, 10:18:35 AM »
The thing about NOLA is that the neighborhoods can be deceptive.  There are ghettos right next to the million dollar houses on St. Charles.  Uptown, the warehouse and garden districts are good. If you like the burbs Algiers and Metairie are close.  Some people like Slidell, but it is kinda far.
Well, I'd love to stay and chat, but you're a total female dog

What are ya a bunch of Kansas City faggots