Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: TULANE LAW SCHOOL THREAD  (Read 34770 times)

withj

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: TULANE LAW SCHOOL THREAD
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2006, 03:07:24 PM »
Thanks. I wanted this to be about me a little longer.  ;)

I don't want to get too specific, but it has to do with growing up poor, being raised by a single mom with 5 kids, working full-time since age 16, living on my own since 18, doing well in JuCo (3.61 GPA) when I was able to go, etc.

I retook because I was sure I could crack 170 based on practice tests. I cancelled because I didn't have the level of confidence about my performance that I wanted.

My PS and supplemental essays were, according to more than one admissions office, outstanding, and what swayed them to even consider my application. Also, got a great L.O.R. from my boss of the past year.

I'm honestly undecided. I sent in my seat deposit to Hofstra, and would probably attend if I had to leave by tomorrow. I have to see Tulane's financial aid offer, which comes in a few days. I'm still in debt from a long stretch of unemployment (job outsourced to India at the same time the Bay Area labor market was in the toilet), so the financial angle matters a LOT to me. And, I got an honors scholarship at Hofstra, 25K/yr with strings.

Rankings matter to me, but not that much. I just want to get a solid legal education, and I'll do the rest. I know I can get one at any of the schools I've been accepted to.

All the best.

No no no. That's pretty impressive and I want to hear this story if you feel like telling it. Also, a 168 is pretty sweet, why did you decide to retake and then cancel as well?

Either way: Way to go! Congrats! Are you going to attend?

kingralph

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2006, 04:53:22 PM »
I was in New Orleans last weekend and I had a blast. I toured the law school (for the second time) and felt pretty comfortable there. Unless I get off the waitlist at Texas or get more money elsewhere, I will be at Tulane next year.

nolalove

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2006, 10:49:57 PM »

nolalove,

thanks for the great post; much appreciated.  sad to know that the magazine area won't be the easiest to get into, but i guess it's good to realize that now.  does the market seem to be drying up pretty quickly, or do you think there will still be decent options available in june?

thanks again!

It's hard for me to say whether there will still be decent options in june. i can say that the houses that came up to rent near campus didn't even last a week on the market. i guess what it really depends on is whether a lot of people's leases will be ending in june or july, and that i don't know. . .sorry!

My husband is in new orleans right now as an election monitor. he said that in the districts he was working in the elections went smoothly. i'm looking forward to seeing how these elections turn out, and hoping that post-elections politicians can feel comfortable making some of the big decisions that need to be made.

Have any of you decided what kind of work you want to be doing in new orleans when you get there? have you contacted any organizations you want to work for? i just started my search and i'll let you know what cool organizations i find. (my husband works for new schools for new orleans. if you are interested in working on education in new orleans, i'd be happy to give you some contact info/ info about the organization. let me know!).

nolalove

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2006, 11:10:46 PM »
http://www.nola.com/elections/returns.ssf?all

Election returns coming out. Nagin's ahead. What do y'all think?

Ever

« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2006, 11:36:35 PM »
Wow - way to go. Hope Tulane pulled out all the stops for you then. Keep us posted.

I don't want to get too specific, but it has to do with growing up poor, being raised by a single mom with 5 kids, working full-time since age 16, living on my own since 18, doing well in JuCo (3.61 GPA) when I was able to go, etc.

I retook because I was sure I could crack 170 based on practice tests. I cancelled because I didn't have the level of confidence about my performance that I wanted.

My PS and supplemental essays were, according to more than one admissions office, outstanding, and what swayed them to even consider my application. Also, got a great L.O.R. from my boss of the past year.

I'm honestly undecided. I sent in my seat deposit to Hofstra, and would probably attend if I had to leave by tomorrow. I have to see Tulane's financial aid offer, which comes in a few days. I'm still in debt from a long stretch of unemployment (job outsourced to India at the same time the Bay Area labor market was in the toilet), so the financial angle matters a LOT to me. And, I got an honors scholarship at Hofstra, 25K/yr with strings.

Rankings matter to me, but not that much. I just want to get a solid legal education, and I'll do the rest. I know I can get one at any of the schools I've been accepted to.

All the best.

No no no. That's pretty impressive and I want to hear this story if you feel like telling it. Also, a 168 is pretty sweet, why did you decide to retake and then cancel as well?

Ever

« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2006, 11:40:26 PM »
http://www.nola.com/elections/returns.ssf?all

Election returns coming out. Nagin's ahead. What do y'all think?

Seems to me that the city is willing to accept more of the same. Though I don't know the Mayor's entire history, I would think that people would want to start over with something fresh. Then again it is only 39%.

nolalove

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2006, 11:41:54 PM »
Wow - way to go. Hope Tulane pulled out all the stops for you then. Keep us posted.

All the best.

Sorry for not responding to this sooner. Congrats on your Tulane admission and I am also rooting for a huge tulane scholarship for you!

nolalove

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2006, 12:29:11 AM »
But with the post-storm diaspora tilting voter demographics somewhat toward whites and raising racial sensitivities on both sides, polls indicate and political analysts say that volatile racial allegiances have become pronounced. Nagin's shifting political base and his standing in the polls is a case in point.

"Black voters are coming back to Nagin, not necessarily as a person but as a symbol of a racial regime," said Susan Howell, a pollster and professor at the University of New Orleans. "And in blunt terms, some white voters see this as an opportunity to take back power."

While black and white voter turnout on Saturday is difficult to predict, many here are assuming that the number of black and white voters will be about equal. Before Katrina, about two-thirds of the city's voters were black." washington post

i think it will be a shame if the city votes along strictly racial lines; i think that will say something disappointing about the available candidates. i also think it's a shame that there was not another viable african american candidate besides nagin.

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2006, 01:04:07 AM »
But with the post-storm diaspora tilting voter demographics somewhat toward whites and raising racial sensitivities on both sides, polls indicate and political analysts say that volatile racial allegiances have become pronounced. Nagin's shifting political base and his standing in the polls is a case in point.

"Black voters are coming back to Nagin, not necessarily as a person but as a symbol of a racial regime," said Susan Howell, a pollster and professor at the University of New Orleans. "And in blunt terms, some white voters see this as an opportunity to take back power."

While black and white voter turnout on Saturday is difficult to predict, many here are assuming that the number of black and white voters will be about equal. Before Katrina, about two-thirds of the city's voters were black." washington post

i think it will be a shame if the city votes along strictly racial lines; i think that will say something disappointing about the available candidates. i also think it's a shame that there was not another viable african american candidate besides nagin.

That's clearly a white person talking.

nolalove

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2006, 01:26:33 AM »
yes, true. i'm not quite sure how to respond to your response. i think you might be misinterpreting me, unless your comment was really meant to simply point out that i am white, which, in fact, i am. i have a feeling it was meant to imply something about what i meant. . .

here's the question: what do you think? that's why i post. because i'm interested in hearing other perspectives on things i'm thinking/reading about from other people interested in new orleans and tulane.