Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: TULANE LAW SCHOOL THREAD  (Read 33863 times)

Bow Tied Up

• Sr. Citizen
  • they tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
    • View Profile
Re: TULANE LAW SCHOOL THREAD
« Reply #140 on: May 10, 2006, 01:23:01 PM »
additional fees, insurance, parking, etc.

Ever

« Reply #141 on: May 10, 2006, 01:31:04 PM »
additional fees, insurance, parking, etc.

??? The cost of attendance should include all of that

Bow Tied Up

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 10, 2006, 01:40:41 PM »

okay, so yeah...tuition and mandatory fees total $34,696.00 (according to tulane).

living and book expenses are estimated at $17,300.00 (for 9 months).

total is $51,996.00; so add another three months and other expensese (a computer, moving, etc), and after all is said and done...i'm just bringing 60K.   

imago

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: May 10, 2006, 01:49:40 PM »

so we're looking at around 42K for Tulane.  I'll throw in a grand for a new computer, fifty bucks for a 'tulane law' sweatshirt, and another two for my 'tulane law' sticker for the back of my whip.  add in a few more things, and i'm quickly thinking 45K is a reasonable estimation..

now what other things?  700-800 for rent.  a'ight.  how about utilities down there?  200 a month?  food -- 400 a month?  recreation?  another 15K? 

i guess i should just plan on bringing 60 large?  law school really is going to cost mad duckets.  yo.

Holy sh*t that's a lot of money. . .  I've been putting off adding it all up, content to live in ignorance a while longer.

So I got into UGA off the waitlist on Monday. . . $9100 in-state tuition and fees.  Do well enough to do Atlanta BigLaw after 2L, pay cash for my final year, and I'm looking at graduating with less than 40K in debt.

I'd gotten really excited about Tulane and New Orleans, but I don't know if I'm excited enough to take an additional 80K in private loans.

I'm torn.  I really beleive that I'd have a more unique academic and personal experience at TLS.

Bow Tied Up

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 10, 2006, 02:18:55 PM »

i haven't even heard back from UGA...apparently i'm still being reviewed...maybe it's taking so long because i'm no longer a resident (originally from the 'A' - but went to school/live in Boston).  oh well.

i'm really looking forward to NOLA...new culture, new laws (anyone know the specifics on what constitutes an open-container and what you can and cannot do?), food...etc, etc, etc.  plus, i think it'll give me the most options when i graduate.

but UGA in-state, if you know you want to practice in Georgia, certainly is appealing.

imago

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: May 10, 2006, 02:27:53 PM »

i haven't even heard back from UGA...apparently i'm still being reviewed...maybe it's taking so long because i'm no longer a resident (originally from the 'A' - but went to school/live in Boston).  oh well.

i'm really looking forward to NOLA...new culture, new laws (anyone know the specifics on what constitutes an open-container and what you can and cannot do?), food...etc, etc, etc.  plus, i think it'll give me the most options when i graduate.

but UGA in-state, if you know you want to practice in Georgia, certainly is appealing.

Yeah, it's a no-brainer from a dollars-and-cents standpoint.  And I'm a native Georgian with deep, multi-generational personal, familial and business ties in Georgia.

But NOLA has a really strong emotional appeal to me.  I've been a regular visitor over the years; I actually met my fiancee at Fat Harry's on the corner of St. Charles and Napoleon on the Friday before Mardi Gras two years ago.  There's something poetic about us returning to New Orleans to help rebuild.  Tulane definitely captures my imagination in a way that UGA does not.

But I think I can find ways to indulge my imagination in other ways with the 80 grand I'll save.  It'll break my heart to tell Tulane 'no thanks.'  Guess I'll decide soon.

bean

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 10, 2006, 10:42:53 PM »
Every person at Tulane next year, it seems to me, will be someone who is not just floating through life.

...we'll all be too busy trying to float to safety.

badum dum.

103 days!  Did I do that math right?  Anyone else wanna meet up this summer?

nolalove

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2006, 01:28:58 PM »
imago, good luck on your tough decision  :-\

just think of it this way-- you would have been so happy to be given these options at the beginning of the cycle! (does that help at all??? hahah)

Ever

« Reply #148 on: May 12, 2006, 03:19:38 AM »

But I think I can find ways to indulge my imagination in other ways with the 80 grand I'll save.  It'll break my heart to tell Tulane 'no thanks.'  Guess I'll decide soon.

You and I are in the same boat...  :-\

Bow Tied Up

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 12, 2006, 09:29:27 AM »
definitely a tough decision for y'all...no envy here.

on a completely unrelated note, has anyone played the golf course that's across the street from tulane?