Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: TULANE LAW SCHOOL THREAD  (Read 32584 times)

monet

• View Profile
Re: TULANE LAW SCHOOL THREAD
« Reply #130 on: May 05, 2006, 05:09:46 PM »
i just got into W&L.. thread here: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,61761.0.html

no idea what i'm going to do. any input will be very much appreciated.

PSYCHOANALYSIS: You came on the pro-Tulane, hyper accepted student thread to ask this question. You know we will say Tulane is better. AND IT IS! Do you really want to live in that backwater where W&L is? You want to be told to go to Tulane.

I enjoyed my visit to Tulane and I love New Orleans. Maybe you should visit both schools.

hahaha you are so correct i am laughing out loud. convince meeeee not to be a rankings whore!

There are some schools where the rankings difference would be real and choosing Tulane at equal money would be a pretty dumb move.  Duke, for example.  Cornell.  Maybe Texas or Vanderbilt.  Washington and Lee is clearly not one of those schools--and so, your choice is actually pretty easy. :D

Tsk tsk.  C'mon Monet, listen to the little angel on your shoulder, not the little devil . . .

Angel: "You know it will be easier to concentrate on your studies at W&L, it's simply the right thing to do - you're going to law school to learn, aren't you?  And don't listen to Halfie, he's a notoriously irrational W&L hater."

Devil: "C'mon, all work and no play only makes for a dull Monet!  Live a little!  You can drink on the sidewalk here!  Have you ever ordered a strawberry daiquiri TO GO?!?!  Best feeling EVER!"

Just something to think about.  And before you all jump on me, my sister went to Tulane and loved it, so I'm not trying to rain on your parade.  I'm just sick of everyone falling back on the one thing they know about W&L, that it's in a small town.  I will be there and fun will be had, although most likely none that will compete with NoLa on the debauchery scale.  Good luck to ya . . . 

Haha, probably a bad idea mentioning the daiquiri... mmm... mango. Mmm... walking like the drunk man in the middle of traffic at 6pm on Canal street...
Washington & Lee -- 2009

mead

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 05, 2006, 08:05:30 PM »
Don't you guys think that people who post on two or three school threads as 'undecided' are doing it to convince the schools to pay them more? The schools probably can identify them and market their school more (i.e. offer more $$$)?

bean

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 06, 2006, 12:43:05 AM »
barring a full ride offer from the one school i'm still unsure about (or a major levee breach this summer), I will be joining you all in the fall.  hell, i've already moved to NOLA & put the decal on my car.  i'd need a hairdryer to remove it.  don't own a hairdryer.

might have to crash in a friend's RV 'til student loans get disbursed (September?) in order to make this happen, but after spending some time with the recovery effort, visiting the campus & surrounding area, and encountering so many friendly, intelligent, chill people- both at the school and on this site- i'm totally psyched.

as for using this board to try to manipulate schools, that sounds kind of far fetched.  it's easy enough to ask them directly for more money and to tell them what other schools you're considering, what offers are on the table and why you think you deserve more.  some say yes, some no.  that simple.  somhow i don't think admissions directors are finding time to frantically scan prelaw discussion boards, thinking, "oh, man, juris1234 is interested in us and another school ranked 3 places higher in this year's US News report... we'd better track down hir IP address, connect it to an ISP, subpoena them to get a phone number, call it and and offer more money."

nolalove

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 06, 2006, 03:23:36 PM »
right on, bean!

joespecial

« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2006, 04:37:16 AM »
anyhow, one of the main reasons I chose tulane was because i thought it would be the place where i was the happiest. it was not the highest ranked school i got into, but i truly think that i am going to pursue an equally prestigious career path as i would going to any of the other schools i considered becomes i'm motivated to do so, i'll be involved in great work at tulane, and i'm coming from a nationally recognized school. plus I AM GOING TO HAVE FUN DOING IT!!!!!!

I feel the exact same!

Bow Tied Up

• Sr. Citizen
  • they tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 10, 2006, 11:28:27 AM »

so...has anyone worked on a NOLA/Tulane budget for the year?

joespecial

« Reply #136 on: May 10, 2006, 12:14:44 PM »

monet

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 10, 2006, 12:35:16 PM »
Tulane's tuition for this Fall is 35k and their COS is 15k (and I am rounding down)... this totals 50k.
Washington & Lee -- 2009

Bow Tied Up

• Sr. Citizen
  • they tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 10, 2006, 12:46:17 PM »

so we're looking at around 42K for Tulane.  I'll throw in a grand for a new computer, fifty bucks for a 'tulane law' sweatshirt, and another two for my 'tulane law' sticker for the back of my whip.  add in a few more things, and i'm quickly thinking 45K is a reasonable estimation..

now what other things?  700-800 for rent.  a'ight.  how about utilities down there?  200 a month?  food -- 400 a month?  recreation?  another 15K? 

i guess i should just plan on bringing 60 large?  law school really is going to cost mad duckets.  yo.

monet

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 10, 2006, 01:05:02 PM »
42k for tuition? how can that be right
Washington & Lee -- 2009