Law School Discussion

« on: April 14, 2006, 12:14:25 AM »
:)

Re: When will the Thomas Cooley Rankings pass the USNews Rankings?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 12:50:42 PM »
It appears as if the Thomas Cooley Rankings are getting a lot of love from xoxo and lsd.  I am curious whether people think this means that they will move ahead of the USNWR rankings.  The rankings seem to be able to steal USNWR's attention.  Could it steal their authoritativeness as well?

What are you talking about?  They already have.  Once I discovered the most prestigious law school rankings (Cooley's), I discovered the error of my ways.  I had been accepted to UChicago and Stanford, and was deciding between them--mistakenly thinking them to be great from the USNews rankings.  Luckily, I found out Cooley was itself ranked higher, and was able to earn a spot at that prestigious institution without the trouble of having a bachelor's degree, paying an application fee, or ever earning a grade above a D- in college.

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 01:00:59 PM »
It appears as if the Thomas Cooley Rankings are getting a lot of love from xoxo and lsd.  I am curious whether people think this means that they will move ahead of the USNWR rankings.  The rankings seem to be able to steal USNWR's attention.  Could it steal their authoritativeness as well?

What are you talking about?  They already have.  Once I discovered the most prestigious law school rankings (Cooley's), I discovered the error of my ways.  I had been accepted to UChicago and Stanford, and was deciding between them--mistakenly thinking them to be great from the USNews rankings.  Luckily, I found out Cooley was itself ranked higher, and was able to earn a spot at that prestigious institution without the trouble of having a bachelor's degree, paying an application fee, or ever earning a grade above a D- in college.

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 01:10:23 PM »
This brings up an interesting point: who ranks the rankings systems? Why is US News always regarded as being the best of the best, the final authority on rankings?

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 01:14:05 PM »
This brings up an interesting point: who ranks the rankings systems? Why is US News always regarded as being the best of the best, the final authority on rankings?

everyone uses it, if everyone started using the Cooley rankings they would be the best

All rankings systems have their faults, but we as a people decided USNWR was the best pick of the litter so  it is ;)

kmpnj

• View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 01:41:57 PM »
This does bring up an interesting question though.  How can a school be Top 10 in a specific area of legal study, according to US News and still rank T4 in the same ranking?  I would think that being Top 10 anything would preclude a T4 ranking.

kmpnj

• View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 02:06:40 PM »
This does bring up an interesting question though.  How can a school be Top 10 in a specific area of legal study, according to US News and still rank T4 in the same ranking?  I would think that being Top 10 anything would preclude a T4 ranking.

Do we know how they come up with their specialty rankings?  Would it be enough to have a (good) clinical program?  Will one superstar IP professor make a difference?

So, if I'm to take your questions to their logical conclusion, it would seem that the rankings for, say, health law programs would have the potential of being flawed.  So if a certain sub-ranking were to be flawed, then why wouldn't the entire ranking system be flawed.  I'm sure that U.S. News would not use different methodologies for the overall rankings and the more specialized rankings.  Using more than one methodology would seem to me to be vastly inefficient.  Therefore, a ranking methodology that is used for multiple rankings cannot be flawed for one list and not flawed for another list.  It is either wholly flawed or wholly not flawed.  I'm sorry, but having it both ways is not a viable option.

ms

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 03:53:33 PM »

Harvard should just buy US News & WR.

ChlorasepticRelief

• Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 05:43:46 PM »

Harvard should just buy US News & WR.

Yale already has.

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006, 10:16:57 AM »
For the specialty rankings, law professors were asked to name the best in each specific field, and then the 10 who got the most votes were the ones who were listed in the rankings.  Obviously, that's not the greatest system in the world.  As such, I'd say those specialty rankings are completely useless.  If you really want to go into health law should you go to Widener insted of Yale?