Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laptop-widescreen vs. regular  (Read 725 times)

Poetgrl21

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Laptop-widescreen vs. regular
« on: April 14, 2006, 12:51:15 AM »

Trying to decide which I want..can anyone point out some advantages or disadvantages to each?  Thanks.

Towlie

Re: Laptop-widescreen vs. regular
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 02:02:26 AM »
I'm getting a regular because it will be easier to transport (given that I'll be living in a city, this is pretty important to me).

The advantage of a wide screen is that if you don't have a TV you can watch movies on it. But it's also heavier. Can't think of any other real advantages..

sea dream

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 02:09:14 AM »
one thing you might notice is that viewing angles on widescreens are generally better than those on 4:3 screens.. at least it was that way when i was researching laptops, but that was a year or so ago.

and yeah, i don't know where towlie is coming from. Heavier? harder to transport? huh?
Nevermind. Queen of the Waitlists, anyways.

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 02:09:31 AM »
I'm getting a regular because it will be easier to transport (given that I'll be living in a city, this is pretty important to me).

The advantage of a wide screen is that if you don't have a TV you can watch movies on it. But it's also heavier. Can't think of any other real advantages..

You will be able to look at two documents side by side. I have said this in other threads and I think it is worth repeating here - pay attention, strict attention to screen resolutions. Not all screens are made equal. Don't think that just because you have bought a widescreen that it is automatically going to be easier to read and resolve images vs standard 4:3 screens.

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

cayberr

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 02:48:50 AM »

You will be able to look at two documents side by side. I have said this in other threads and I think it is worth repeating here - pay attention, strict attention to screen resolutions. Not all screens are made equal. Don't think that just because you have bought a widescreen that it is automatically going to be easier to read and resolve images vs standard 4:3 screens.

Oingo

My SO and sister both have the Dell 6000 widescreen.  He paid an extra $200 for the best screen available and she didn't.  The difference is HUGE.  The images/color on his screen look great from any angle (good considering he got windows media center and tv tuner) while her screen looks like crap if you don't have the monitor just right.  He can view documents side by side and she can't (if you can simply adjust this, let me know).

As for weight issues, I don't think widescreen=heavy.  It depends on the notebook.  Will I be getting the same notebook?  Hell no.  It's good as a desktop replacement but that Dell is really heavy to drag around every day (at least for 100lb me).

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 08:24:17 AM »
I was set on buying an ultra-lightweight, regular screen (Vaio TX). But I went to the Sony store and tried it out. It sure is light, but I decided against it because of the screen. I think the Dell Latitude line strikes the right balance between screen/keyboard size and weight. I'm looking at the 620. It's not that heavy, and the screen seems to be large enough to have a few windows open at once. It's reasonably priced, though when I start customizing it, I somehow add an additional $800 in bells and whistles.
Georgetown

gsl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 08:38:35 AM »
I just bought a Gateway Dual-Core Widescreeen M685 (loyal Gateway customer...I've had 2 bad experiences w/Dell). It has a 17.1" display. This is my first laptop...previously I had a 17 inch flatscreen w/ my desktop. I have to say that the display on this laptop is just as good as my flatscreen.

You could definitely work two documents side-by-side on the 17 inch. When I first got the laptop out of the box, I thought it looked enormous, but after having used it for 2 weeks, I can't imagine wanting anything smaller. I haven't ported it around yet, but honestly, it's not THAT heavy.

With rebates any everything, it cost me $1500, which I think was a pretty good deal.

I personally would go with the biggest screen you can get. It's worth the extra pound I might be carrying around.

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 08:52:55 AM »
The weight issue concerns me.  But my school is basically self-contained, so it's not like UG where I was hiking all over campus all day every day.  Am I going to hate myself for getting something heavier, or are the people who complain about having to tote their computers 50 feet down the hall to their next class just being wusses?
Emory '09

LSN

flydog

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 11:03:33 AM »
A widescreen notebook also has a wider keyboard in most cases. In a couple of years the narrow screen will cease to exist like floppy disks and whitewalls

gsl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 03:36:13 PM »
A widescreen notebook also has a wider keyboard in most cases. In a couple of years the narrow screen will cease to exist like floppy disks and whitewalls

Good point about the keyboard. My widescreen version has a pretty much full-size keyboard, including a number pad and the up-down-left-right arrows. I've used a desktop all my life, and have found this new keyboard to be about 95% as good as a full-size keyboard. Almost everything is the same size.