Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do you think it matters that my mom is deaf?  (Read 1100 times)

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
Do you think it matters that my mom is deaf?
« on: April 13, 2006, 06:17:45 PM »
I didn't include this on any materials I sent the law school I will be attending.  I went to lunch with another 1L who told me that I absolutely should let them know for the purpose of obtaining need-based aid.  I am not sure it matters.

Opinions?

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Do you think it matters that my mom is deaf?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 06:30:24 PM »
why would that matter?

Towlie

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 06:31:35 PM »
Unless it affects her income, I don't think it matters at all.

wunder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 07:35:49 PM »
Sounds more like a personal statement topic than a financial aid issue.  I wouldn't worry about it.  (Unless, of course, they are going to try to call your mother on the telephone for some reason and need to be aware that it's a TTY line or something)

cyberrev

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 10:42:17 PM »
I didn't include this on any materials I sent the law school I will be attending.  I went to lunch with another 1L who told me that I absolutely should let them know for the purpose of obtaining need-based aid.  I am not sure it matters.

Opinions?

heck no, i think it's great!  she won't hear your headboard banging the wall when i spend the night!   ;)

but seriously folks..... it would only matter if you were deaf.  there's scholarships for deaf students

phooey

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 01:42:20 PM »

Opinions?

heck no, i think it's great!  she won't hear your headboard banging the wall when i spend the night!   ;)

Awesome! :D

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 02:19:01 PM »
My mom can't work because of her hearing...she has tried a few times unsuccessfully, and it certainly negatively affected the financial status of our family (and continues to).  Thanks for you input everyone.

phooey

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 03:57:11 PM »
How old are you?  Is your parent's financial status going to affect your finaid eligibility?

icf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 06:29:47 PM »
i think you should definitely mention it to the financial aid office.  worst case scenario, they tell you that they can't give you any additional funds, and that'll happen whether you mention it or not.

i don't see the harm in letting them know -- maybe it will help, and if it doesn't, then at least you tried, right? 

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 10:01:05 PM »
wow - you all have no clue about what it is like growing up with a mom who can't talk like a normal person.  My sister and I both had to go through speech therapy to learn to talk correctly when we went to school.  My mom has a tiny bit of hearing and still talks rather than signs....that means that I learned to pronounce a lot of words wrong and that I essentially had one parent who worked all the time, and another who missed 50% of everything b/c she couldn't hear what was going on. 

Since I asked the question, I guess I have realized that I probably should have written my PS about this crap or something.  It affected me more than I thought.  When I read the responses of "why should it matter?" I actually got kind of angry about people not understanding why it "matters".  Funny, huh?