Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Microsoft OneNote - yay or nay?  (Read 23160 times)

marlinspike

• Sr. Citizen
  • Why yes, I am the one who took my avatar photo.
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
Re: Microsoft OneNote - yay or nay?
« Reply #180 on: September 04, 2007, 09:51:16 PM »
My roommate's new computer is Vista and she's had nonstop problems since taking it out of the box.  She's trying to figure out if she'd be able to uninstall it and put XP on instead...

Can you describe the problems she is having?

i did that. vista sucks it's a pain the as- and i spend more time d--king around with it than anything else. install XP

Gives me no problems, but then I did some initial configuring.
Gas: UMD, W&M ($$), Wake Forest, Emory, GW, GMU
Clutch: Michigan, Notre Dame, UVA, AU (yield protect?), Duke, BC (Michigan told me no on 6/13 - Thank you MI for being courteous and letting me know)
Brakes: Gtown.
(3.23 169)

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 04, 2007, 10:50:59 PM »
My roommate's new computer is Vista and she's had nonstop problems since taking it out of the box.  She's trying to figure out if she'd be able to uninstall it and put XP on instead...

i did that. vista sucks it's a pain the as- and i spend more time d--king around with it than anything else. install XP

i did the configuring but it's still a pain...half of it is that my school's "stellar" IT department doens't have anything up to date i.e. compatible w/ vista added to the fact they make you down load norton even if you already have better protection on your system, which 'causes all kinds of problems. i shoulda spent the money and got a mac
...man, you was who you was before you got here

. . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 04, 2007, 11:12:25 PM »
FWIW, i am liking vista and onenote.

there's not a lot of people using onenote in my classes, though. however,someone today was watching my onenote handywork from the back row and asked what program i was using  :D

but, i am having the same problem with the copyright c. annoying...

marlinspike

• Sr. Citizen
  • Why yes, I am the one who took my avatar photo.
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
« Reply #183 on: September 04, 2007, 11:16:28 PM »

i did the configuring but it's still a pain...half of it is that my school's "stellar" IT department doens't have anything up to date i.e. compatible w/ vista added to the fact they make you down load norton even if you already have better protection on your system, which 'causes all
kinds of problems. i shoulda spent the money and got a mac

Ah yes, compatability can be a problem (and software forced on you by your school is always a problem), but I suspect when SP1 comes out shortly will see a lot of fixes.
Gas: UMD, W&M ($$), Wake Forest, Emory, GW, GMU
Clutch: Michigan, Notre Dame, UVA, AU (yield protect?), Duke, BC (Michigan told me no on 6/13 - Thank you MI for being courteous and letting me know)
Brakes: Gtown.
(3.23 169)

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #184 on: September 05, 2007, 04:01:37 PM »
all good suggestions, but seriously guys, if i wanted to type alt + "0, 1, A, 1" (or whatever), that wouldn't be much different than just writing "(D)" or "(P)" or "sec.", right?  perhaps i'm obsessing too much over this (actually i know i am  :D ).  but for some reason it just irks me that microsoft office doesn't have the same features in each program.  the shortcut key just seems like such a simple concept that would be useful to integrate into the note-taking software.

No, go to Insert-->Special Characters

Then find the character.  When you do, it will allow you to program your own shortcut, such as ATL+D or whatever.  Then everytime you press ALT+D in any MS Office program, it will insert the Delta for defendant.

This function is not on my version of One Note (2007, Vista).  I see how you can do this in Word (notice how I mentioned "shortcut keys"), but there is no "shortcut key" option in One Note.

After getting frustrated with myself I think I may have found a way around it...coincidentally, using another feature that often frustrates me as well-- the "auto correct" function.  You know, that thing that creates a copyright symbol every time you type (c)? 

Anyways, these corrections can be programed to your liking.  Go to "Tools" ---> "AutoCorrect Options" and use the "replace:" and "with:" entry blanks to associate keys with their new symbol.  I used pf for pi, sx for section and df for delta.  So every time I write pf  and type a space after it, the pi symbol comes up.  Thinking about it, I could just associate "pf" with "plaintiff" (having the feature write out the entire word for me), but I think I've gone through so much frustration trying to figure out how to put these darn symbols in that for my own satisfaction I just need to see them in my notes from now on   :P

There's no option in OneNote, but if you do it in Word, it will work in OneNote . . . at least, that's true in the 2005 suite.
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

Rockie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Scream for me LSD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 16, 2007, 02:05:40 PM »
I don't know what I clicked, but my pointer became stuck momentarily and now every time I add a new page it defaults to a grid background. I really want to get rid of the grid background and go back tot he default notebook style. Can anyone help me undo this?

Papa Bear

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 16, 2007, 04:45:14 PM »
There's no option in OneNote, but if you do it in Word, it will work in OneNote . . . at least, that's true in the 2005 suite.

There's a short conversation about this on the student board. The latest version of OneNote doesn't recognize hotkeys, even ones you've put into Word. At least, mine doesn't. Jacy told me the way to get it to work in One Note is to insert the section symbol in a page, select and copy the symbol, go to Tools - Auto Correct, type SS in the "replace" box, paste your section symbol in the "With" box, then hit the add button & OK. Now every time you type SS in OneNote it'll replace it with the section symbol. You can do the same with pi & delta for plaintiff & defendant. I went with Jacy's suggestion and used PP & DD for those.
"Facts have a well-known liberal bias."

Rockie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Scream for me LSD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 16, 2007, 08:59:52 PM »
I don't know what I clicked, but my pointer became stuck momentarily and now every time I add a new page it defaults to a grid background. I really want to get rid of the grid background and go back tot he default notebook style. Can anyone help me undo this?

Format---> Rule Lines ---> choose

Thanks!