Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Microsoft OneNote - yay or nay?  (Read 22160 times)

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft OneNote - yay or nay?
« Reply #170 on: August 29, 2007, 08:35:50 PM »
Anybody know if you can import your OneNote 2003 notes into 2007? Just got it and I would like to, but don't want to loose everything if it does not work. Keeping Vista happy seems to be a like walking in quick sand, I don't want to cuase any more problems then I already have.

I didn't have any from the 2003 version, but when I first opened my 2007 it still "went through the process" of converting all of your old notebooks (even though I didn't have any - maybe it was converting the default ones?).  It also said it saved a copy of them in 2003 format just in case. 

My roommate's new computer is Vista and she's had nonstop problems since taking it out of the box.  She's trying to figure out if she'd be able to uninstall it and put XP on instead...

i haven't had any probs so far...but then again, i just use word, one note, and internet, i don't do fancy things bc i'm quite comp illiterate
Columbia 3L

wolfpack2

• Sr. Citizen
  • I should be reading cases....
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 29, 2007, 10:47:32 PM »
I am just an organization person, so I like being able to drop stuff in my notes where it makes sense, not always in chronological order of when it came up in class.

Yea, thats why I like using a computer too.  So when my professor jumps around 15 different times my paper doesn't look like crap.  Plus, by the end of the day my handwriting is AWFUL. Sometimes I can't even read it, which wouldn't be very useful. LOL

jumpyoulikeabattery

• AOL Instant Messenger - pm+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 03, 2007, 08:20:14 PM »
Does anyone know how to program One Note to insert standard symbols (like a Pi, Delta or the "section" symbol) without having to go to the menu bar to "Insert" ---> "Symbol" every time? 

I programed Word to put a delta every time i press "Alt +D", etc, but there doesn't seem to be a function allowing this in One Note...

dcforlife

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 03, 2007, 09:09:56 PM »
Does anyone know how to program One Note to insert standard symbols (like a Pi, Delta or the "section" symbol) without having to go to the menu bar to "Insert" ---> "Symbol" every time? 

I programed Word to put a delta every time i press "Alt +D", etc, but there doesn't seem to be a function allowing this in One Note...
Another trick similar to piggy bank's is Windows Character Map, which should work in any application (I don't think Alt-X does). The code for section, for example, is Alt-0167 (press and hold Alt, type 0 1 6 7 on the numeric keypad, release Alt). The caveat to this method is that it only works if you have a numeric keypad... so probably a no on a laptop.

Start Menu -> Accessories -> System Tool -> Character Map.

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #174 on: September 03, 2007, 10:28:38 PM »

Another trick similar to piggy bank's is Windows Character Map, which should work in any application (I don't think Alt-X does). The code for section, for example, is Alt-0167 (press and hold Alt, type 0 1 6 7 on the numeric keypad, release Alt). The caveat to this method is that it only works if you have a numeric keypad... so probably a no on a laptop.

Start Menu -> Accessories -> System Tool -> Character Map.

Yeah, I just mapped it the way I do in Word and it works in all MS Office programs.
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

jumpyoulikeabattery

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 04, 2007, 01:01:11 AM »
all good suggestions, but seriously guys, if i wanted to type alt + "0, 1, A, 1" (or whatever), that wouldn't be much different than just writing "(D)" or "(P)" or "sec.", right?  perhaps i'm obsessing too much over this (actually i know i am  :D ).  but for some reason it just irks me that microsoft office doesn't have the same features in each program.  the shortcut key just seems like such a simple concept that would be useful to integrate into the note-taking software.

marlinspike

• Sr. Citizen
  • Why yes, I am the one who took my avatar photo.
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
« Reply #176 on: September 04, 2007, 01:32:35 AM »
My roommate's new computer is Vista and she's had nonstop problems since taking it out of the box.  She's trying to figure out if she'd be able to uninstall it and put XP on instead...

Can you describe the problems she is having?
Gas: UMD, W&M ($$), Wake Forest, Emory, GW, GMU
Clutch: Michigan, Notre Dame, UVA, AU (yield protect?), Duke, BC (Michigan told me no on 6/13 - Thank you MI for being courteous and letting me know)
Brakes: Gtown.
(3.23 169)

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #177 on: September 04, 2007, 04:24:30 PM »
all good suggestions, but seriously guys, if i wanted to type alt + "0, 1, A, 1" (or whatever), that wouldn't be much different than just writing "(D)" or "(P)" or "sec.", right?  perhaps i'm obsessing too much over this (actually i know i am  :D ).  but for some reason it just irks me that microsoft office doesn't have the same features in each program.  the shortcut key just seems like such a simple concept that would be useful to integrate into the note-taking software.

No, go to Insert-->Special Characters

Then find the character.  When you do, it will allow you to program your own shortcut, such as ATL+D or whatever.  Then everytime you press ALT+D in any MS Office program, it will insert the Delta for defendant.
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

jumpyoulikeabattery

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 04, 2007, 05:18:19 PM »

No, go to Insert-->Special Characters

Then find the character.  When you do, it will allow you to program your own shortcut, such as ATL+D or whatever.  Then everytime you press ALT+D in any MS Office program, it will insert the Delta for defendant.

This function is not on my version of One Note (2007, Vista).  I see how you can do this in Word (notice how I mentioned "shortcut keys"), but there is no "shortcut key" option in One Note.

After getting frustrated with myself I think I may have found a way around it...coincidentally, using another feature that often frustrates me as well-- the "auto correct" function.  You know, that thing that creates a copyright symbol every time you type (c)? 

Anyways, these corrections can be programed to your liking.  Go to "Tools" ---> "AutoCorrect Options" and use the "replace:" and "with:" entry blanks to associate keys with their new symbol.  I used pf for pi, sx for section and df for delta.  So every time I write pf  and type a space after it, the pi symbol comes up.  Thinking about it, I could just associate "pf" with "plaintiff" (having the feature write out the entire word for me), but I think I've gone through so much frustration trying to figure out how to put these darn symbols in that for my own satisfaction I just need to see them in my notes from now on   :P

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 04, 2007, 09:29:27 PM »

Can you describe the problems she is having?

i did that. vista sucks it's a pain the as- and i spend more time d--king around with it than anything else. install XP
...man, you was who you was before you got here