Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Microsoft OneNote - yay or nay?  (Read 22726 times)

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft OneNote - yay or nay?
« Reply #160 on: August 28, 2007, 02:56:24 PM »
OneNote is great and all..THE way to go if you are going to type your notes, but after the first day of classes I've decided that as soon as I get some notebooks I'm going back to the paper and pen.

Our contracts teacher already told us that laptops are prohibted.

Otherwise, I love me some One Note. :)

writing it may be beneficial.  some studies say that it helps u remember more.

not really...the profs speak fast, and don't repeat themselves.  i can never get a complete thought  down bc i end up 4getting the 2nd part of whatever they say.
Columbia 3L

justGem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let them eat cake!
    • View Profile
    • when i need a laugh
« Reply #161 on: August 28, 2007, 03:11:18 PM »
Likely naive questions (at least the second one) but here goes...

After recondidering my decision to sell it, I may just hold on to my new copy of OneNote 2007....but:

- It is my understanding that the MS Office 2007 suite was designed for Vista and I am still on XP, will this affect my use of OneNote 2007?

- If I already have OneNote 2003 installed and try to load 2007 will my computer explode (or the like)?

TYIA

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 28, 2007, 03:20:25 PM »

After recondidering my decision to sell it, I may just hold on to my new copy of OneNote 2007....but:

- It is my understanding that the MS Office 2007 suite was designed for Vista and I am still on XP, will this affect my use of OneNote 2007?

- If I already have OneNote 2003 installed and try to load 2007 will my computer explode (or the like)?

TYIA

i have office 07 on my desktop at home that runs xp....not a problem
Columbia 3L

justGem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let them eat cake!
    • View Profile
    • when i need a laugh
« Reply #163 on: August 28, 2007, 03:27:30 PM »

TYIA

Thanks Jem  :)  Are you using OneNote 2007 for classes? (not sure if you already indicated the version, I haven't read through this thread)

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 28, 2007, 03:32:33 PM »

TYIA

Thanks Jem  :)  Are you using OneNote 2007 for classes? (not sure if you already indicated the version, I haven't read through this thread)

yah i have 07 for class...have only used it once since my legal method profs doesn't want us taking ridiculous notes on comps, so no laptops for us.  classes start next week tho and as far as i know only 1/3 of my classes said no laptops.  the 1 day i did use it was nice tho
Columbia 3L

paul1454

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 28, 2007, 07:22:19 PM »
That would suck if we couldn't use laptops in class.  However, I know a few other schools that are doing the same as yours (I think our faculty is divided on the issue).

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 28, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
That would suck if we couldn't use laptops in class.  However, I know a few other schools that are doing the same as yours (I think our faculty is divided on the issue).

it's not a schoolwide thing tho...it's up to the prof's discretion. the class i have now is sort of an intro class, thus the prof doesn't want us to take too much notes bc it's not a substantive course.  as for Contracts...bah...very annoyed at that.  I haven't heard anything about banning laptops from Civ Pro or Torts yet.
Columbia 3L

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 28, 2007, 07:50:53 PM »
OneNote is great and all..THE way to go if you are going to type your notes, but after the first day of classes I've decided that as soon as I get some notebooks I'm going back to the paper and pen.

not really...the profs speak fast, and don't repeat themselves.  i can never get a complete thought  down bc i end up 4getting the 2nd part of whatever they say.

it'll get easier as you go on.  and there are ways around that. have you made an appointment to see the professor yet? PLUS, during an hour class, about 15-20 mins is actually useful. Less than half a page.  Writing down everything is unnecesary. What you should look out for are hypos and "forks in the road" like Getting to Maybe says.  I.e., commonlaw vs. caselaw.    Also write down the professor's questions.  You should also be going over your notes after class, you'll be surprised what you can fill in.  
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 28, 2007, 08:44:14 PM »

it'll get easier as you go on.  and there are ways around that. have you made an appointment to see the professor yet? PLUS, during an hour class, about 15-20 mins is actually useful. Less than half a page.  Writing down everything is unnecesary. What you should look out for are hypos and "forks in the road" like Getting to Maybe says.  I.e., commonlaw vs. caselaw.    Also write down the professor's questions.  You should also be going over your notes after class, you'll be surprised what you can fill in. 

class hasn't started yet...and i wouldn't have written down "everything" anyway
Columbia 3L

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #169 on: August 28, 2007, 08:48:43 PM »
I am just an organization person, so I like being able to drop stuff in my notes where it makes sense, not always in chronological order of when it came up in class.
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn