Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Microsoft OneNote - yay or nay?  (Read 22934 times)

cake

• View Profile
Re: Microsoft OneNote - yay or nay?
« Reply #140 on: August 16, 2007, 11:05:09 PM »
Does anyone know if I can export a notebook from OneNote into word or is it only possible to export single pages?

Seventeen

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Hope is a risk that must be run."
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 17, 2007, 11:14:27 AM »
If a professor allows notes only in hardcopy for exams, is the printout from OneNote as easy to manage as a Word printout?
"We're adults. When did that happen, and how do we make it stop?" ~Grey's Anatomy

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: August 17, 2007, 05:18:14 PM »
If a professor allows notes only in hardcopy for exams, is the printout from OneNote as easy to manage as a Word printout?

Yes, or you can export to Word, if you like the format better.  When OneNote prints, it puts the "header" info at the top of the page, which can take up a lot of room, unless you play with that feature to reduce the information on the page.  I find copying and pasting to be easier, because then I can make it all one long document.
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 18, 2007, 08:21:47 PM »
haven't seen or have any knowledge of people recording lectures all year.  I can't type to save my life and was terrifed I'd miss important info.  Most of class discussion is just not exam material.  My advice listen to lecture/ brief cases at first and get a study aid you like...you will be fine.

At my program outlines circulate for the classes and they are widely shared.  For example, i'm in Property now, and have an outline from a 2L that is almost a transcript of the lecture.  I follow along and fill in little pieces I need.

yeah i'm already figuring that out, i can see how some people would leave a law lecture feeling that the professor hasn't taught them anything. its because they haven't. at the end of any lecture i have one paragraph tops thats related to anything i need for an exam. i'm so over the whole philosophical lets all remind each other how intelligent we are lecturing style...yawn
...man, you was who you was before you got here

totherescue

• UChicago 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 20, 2007, 05:06:32 PM »
tag

kirkcameronsgf

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ever since I can remember, I been poppin' my colla
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2007, 07:30:23 PM »
I am now a OneNote addict.

taggles.

ThePendulum

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 20, 2007, 08:24:23 PM »
This thread alerted me to the coolness of OneNote, and I just used it during my first day as a 1L. Thanks! I've just spent a couple of hours playing around in it and I am learning more and more.

One thing that I find particularly irritating are the text-boxes that it makes you type in. Is anyone else irritated by these? Is there an option to turn them off that I haven't found yet?

Despite all the great organizational features of OneNote, if I can't figure out a way to adapt/turn off/grow to like these miserable boxes, I may have to go back to Word, or at least double everything into Word.

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: August 20, 2007, 08:49:27 PM »
This thread alerted me to the coolness of OneNote, and I just used it during my first day as a 1L. Thanks! I've just spent a couple of hours playing around in it and I am learning more and more.

One thing that I find particularly irritating are the text-boxes that it makes you type in. Is anyone else irritated by these? Is there an option to turn them off that I haven't found yet?

Despite all the great organizational features of OneNote, if I can't figure out a way to adapt/turn off/grow to like these miserable boxes, I may have to go back to Word, or at least double everything into Word.

Hopefully you will learn to like the text boxes.  The point of them is so that you can move text around on the screen and affect the page layout.  It comes in handy for chart making, although that is not OneNote's strong suit. 
168/3.67

wolfpack2

• Sr. Citizen
  • I should be reading cases....
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2007, 01:14:24 AM »

Hopefully you will learn to like the text boxes.  The point of them is so that you can move text around on the screen and affect the page layout.  It comes in handy for chart making, although that is not OneNote's strong suit. 

They were really helpful when I had a tablet PC.  Unfortunately that broke in about two months.  I used OneNote religiously in undergrad, but haven't used it yet for my 1L classes because I can't seem to get it to format how I want it to with these cases...I might switch back, but for now I have a template for Case Briefs and Notes that I made in Word.  I LOVED that OneNote kept everything in the right order though...So I'm trying to figure out a way to do that in Word, but I'll probably end up switching back to OneNote for that reason.  I like to have everything in date order.

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #149 on: August 21, 2007, 01:55:09 PM »
I don't like using templates because each class and case are trying to tell you something different.  For some, the procedural history is key.  For others, you don't need it at all.  I mean, yes, facts and holdings are nearly always important, but I just wasn't using the templates.

Where OneNote shines is the note flags.  Flag all your statutes in a class or all the UCC and each case name.  Flag each definition of a word you don't know.  Then at the end of the semester you can run a note flag report and you will have a list of all the statutes you covered, all the relevant sections of the UCC you discussed, every case you read (good for flashcards on a closed note exam or for checking to make sure you covered what you need to in your outline), and all the definitions you need to know.
168/3.67