Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Microsoft OneNote - yay or nay?  (Read 23557 times)

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft OneNote - yay or nay?
« Reply #130 on: July 04, 2007, 11:26:05 PM »
Federal Defender's office.  I completely lucked out and wound up working on this huge trial that was starting a few weeks after I came in.  It's been a really amazing experience, because they've let me handle as much as I'm capable of, which means I've gotten to prepare witnesses, draft motions, draw up questions for direct and cross-examinations, sit in on strategy sessions with counsel for our co-defendants, sit at the counsel table during the trial - pretty much everything except actually speak in court (because you have to be at least a 3L to do that).  I've really just been incredibly fortunate to be able to do all this stuff, and it's been really really fun too.  :)
Emory '09

LSN

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 04, 2007, 11:39:33 PM »
Got MS enterprise version today. Time to start practicing taking notes in MS one note!

TrashCat

• Sr. Citizen
  • My job requires a certain... moral flexibility.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 05, 2007, 10:56:26 AM »
I can't get the Microsoft trial to work for me for some reason.
My school offers Microsoft Student Office 2007 for $148.95 & OneNote for $44.95.  (Plenty of retailers offer Student Office 2007 for $120 on sale.)  Lame, lame discount.  >:(

And the internet offers both for $0. It's ok as long as you're a student:p

:D  I love it.

where can you get OneNote 2007 for free online?

bittorrent
usenet
ftps
edonkey
dc++
a number of random .ru or .cn sites

It's really not all that hard to find.

LOL at www.edonkey.com recently.

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 05, 2007, 08:53:01 PM »
Federal Defender's office.  I completely lucked out and wound up working on this huge trial that was starting a few weeks after I came in.  It's been a really amazing experience, because they've let me handle as much as I'm capable of, which means I've gotten to prepare witnesses, draft motions, draw up questions for direct and cross-examinations, sit in on strategy sessions with counsel for our co-defendants, sit at the counsel table during the trial - pretty much everything except actually speak in court (because you have to be at least a 3L to do that).  I've really just been incredibly fortunate to be able to do all this stuff, and it's been really really fun too.  :)

It sure sounds like it :) You'll be in good shape for OCI this fall. I am going to try for the US attorney's office - a real hard gig to get into. We shall see. I now know I want to practice criminal law somewhere. Hopefully, H.B 916 passes so that working at a public defender's office is feasible. I have a family to feed!

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

dcforlife

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 06, 2007, 10:00:04 AM »
Hopefully, H.B 916 passes so that working at a public defender's office is feasible. I have a family to feed!

Oingo
I suppose every little bit helps, but it still seems like it'll barely make a dent. What's $60,000 against loans that over 30 years of interest amount to $500,000, when a firm job could pay them off in 5 years. Wish it had been for more.

S.A.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 06, 2007, 10:04:10 AM »
Is there a version of OneNote for Mac?

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 06, 2007, 10:26:26 AM »
Trying to figure out why I didn't tag this thread sooner...

myconfessions

• ''Denny Crane, legal genius.'' -Denny Crane
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 06, 2007, 07:49:20 PM »
Does anyone know if you can delete the titles that appear at the top of every page?  It seems as though you are forced to type a heading.  Any ideas?
GW Law Class of 2010

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: July 06, 2007, 10:11:15 PM »
Does anyone know if you can delete the titles that appear at the top of every page?  It seems as though you are forced to type a heading.  Any ideas?

There is a slider, like a window resizer, that you can use to eliminate the banner at the top.  If you leave it blank, the "title" on the tab is the first line you type.  They let you type an alternate title, in case the first line isn't descriptive enough or idea for labeling the tab.  If you find titling the pages to be a pain, you are probably not using your tabs effectively to help keep you organized.
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

myconfessions

• ''Denny Crane, legal genius.'' -Denny Crane
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 11, 2007, 05:05:01 PM »
I have One Note 2007 and noticed that you can "network" a notebook.  Meaning that multiple users can access and edit the same file at the same time to take notes. It seems like this could be a great opportunity for a small group of students to work together when taking a notes in the same class.  Does anyone else see this as potentially useful?
GW Law Class of 2010