Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Vandy vs. Colorado Vs. Minnesota  (Read 490 times)

kdiz81

• View Profile
    • Email
Vandy vs. Colorado Vs. Minnesota
« on: April 13, 2006, 01:26:38 PM »
I am flip flopping on this everyday.  I don't know what area of law I want to study but I am 70% sure I want to end up in Colorado and 90% sure I want to end up in the west. No scholarship from Vany or Minni.  Half tuition at Colorado (which is cheap anyway) and it is for all three years if I stay in the top half.  I will not have to go into debt for any of the schools but that doesn't mean cost doesn't matter.  Thoughts????

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Vandy vs. Colorado Vs. Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 01:57:13 PM »
If you are sure you would like to work in Colorado, go to UColorado, I don't think the other 2 schools place as well in CO as UC.  Plus, UC with scholarship would be significantly cheaper than the other 2.

prestigesq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 01:57:38 PM »
Vanderbilt, fool.

joeyd005

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 02:03:13 PM »
this seems like a no doubter to me.  all those schools are great, but you can't underestimate the opportunities you would have in Colorado coming out of law school there.  i cant speak about Minn. just because im not familiar at all with the school, but i know for a fact that vandy does much better east of the mississippi that west, in terms of job placement.  much much better.  so even though its a great school, its not a western school.  i would have to think Colorado is the place for you.  throw in the fact that boulder is a great town youll be paying far less to go there and it looks even better
Cornell son

Towlie

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 02:25:19 PM »
Go to Vandy! If you are sure you want to end up in Colorado or the west coast and have some connection there (thus, making it more likely you'll get hired there comming from an out-of-state school) then go for the better education. Also, given that you'll probably spend the rest of your life in Colorado, why not spend 3 years in Nashville?

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 11:24:45 PM »
I would say CU as well.   It's cheap, has a brand new building, it's laid back,  great campus and great town.   If you look at the number of grads that stay in Colorado from CU, it is ridiculous (a ton), so obviously you will be fine finding a job there from CU, which can't be said for the other two schools.  Obviously the other two give you a bit more flexibility, but you need to do well at law school to have the most flexibility.  Doing well is more important than which school (within a certain range)...and you are more likely to do well somewhere that you are happy at (and saving mad $ in a beautiful location should keep you happy). 

The student body at CU is made up of students with a lot better numbers that you would think for a school ranked in the 40's....that is because a lot of people choose to go there over "better" schools because of the location.   You wouldn't be the 1st to choose CU over higher ranked schools....(and I might be doing the same too!)
8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington
:-\ GW, WUSTL, Emory, WashLee, BostonU, Ariz, Minnesota
>:( Gtown, Mich, Nwestern, UIUC, Berk

WitterUin4

• Sr. Citizen
  • How I thought of ad comms
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 03:51:12 PM »
I'm a 1L at CU (but only for 3 more weeks! Yay!) and I say if you want to practice in CO then go to CU.  I have never regretted my decision to come here. It's beautiful, laid back, the faculty is generally great, and our bar pass rate is over 90%.  Just a note about those class standing scholarships, though: everyone comes to law school thinking he/she will be top 1/2-- and 1/2 of them are disappointed. CU's incoming student body has a ridiculously high median GPA, and Stuje1 is right about people choosing to come here over higher-ranked schools. It may throw off the curve a bit. But seriously? After first semester grades came out I thought there'd be a lot of depressed people in my classes, but it just wasn't like that. I think it's one of the most humane places to study law.  The first-year professors take preparing 1Ls for their first semester exams very seriously, and that includes dishing out a healthy dose of perspective along with exam-taking advice. All in all, it's been great. And Boulder is awesome, and it's not as hippy-ish as you might think.  Good luck with your decision!
I'm at 1L at CU Boulder

kdiz81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 11:35:54 AM »
Good news!  In at USC today!  Now what the f*** do I do????