Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYU Class of 2009  (Read 17911 times)

Fenstrex

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: NYU Class of 2009
« Reply #150 on: June 21, 2006, 04:22:46 PM »
I'm deciding between Citibank and AccessGroup myself. Right now, I think Citibank's best rate is lower than AccessGroup's best rate. I don't think you know what rate you'll get until after you apply, though, so I don't know if that helps. I've read more favorable things about the LIBOR, so I'm leaning towards AccessGroup.

Citibank's Stafford incentives do seem the best. But if I decide to go with AccessGroup for private, I'd probably use them for Stafford as well for convenience.

Are we able to apply for loans yet? I thought we were supposed to get something from the FinAid office first before we start.

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 21, 2006, 04:55:31 PM »
I'm deciding between Citibank and AccessGroup myself. Right now, I think Citibank's best rate is lower than AccessGroup's best rate. I don't think you know what rate you'll get until after you apply, though, so I don't know if that helps. I've read more favorable things about the LIBOR, so I'm leaning towards AccessGroup.

Citibank's Stafford incentives do seem the best. But if I decide to go with AccessGroup for private, I'd probably use them for Stafford as well for convenience.

Are we able to apply for loans yet? I thought we were supposed to get something from the FinAid office first before we start.

As far as I know we are supposed to get something telling us how much in Stafford we qualified for.  But I had Stafford loans listed on my original letter.  I was just going to proceed with the HESC MPN.

As for the Stafford rates, I thought they were capped at a fixed 7.5% rate (hence the competition on the incentives)

They are capped at 8.25
HLS '09

Fenstrex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: June 21, 2006, 04:55:46 PM »
Oh sorry about that. In the first paragraph, I was talking about private loans.

PHSextemp

• AOL Instant Messenger - PHSextemp
    • View Profile
    • My blog
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: June 23, 2006, 09:16:55 AM »
Yeah I finally went and filled out my HESC stuff the other day, but unfortunately I did it at covertly while I was at work and I'm pretty sure I marked the box that said something along the lines of, I want to pay interest while I"m in school.  Oops.  Starting off my legal career with bright moves left and right ;)
3.95/168  ATTENDING NYU!!!
In: Berkeley, Washington/Lee ($$$), UNC ($$), NYU
Waitlisted: Michigan, Chicago, UVa
Given the boot: Yale
Pending: Duke
http://nyuseejd.blogspot.com

Tiwaz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 27, 2006, 11:27:28 PM »
I just applied for my loans (Stafford and private) through Citibank.  I was a little suprised to get the prime-1% rate without a co-signer.  The credit requirements must not be too stiff; my credit history is solid, but not particularly long.

PHSextemp

• View Profile
    • My blog
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: June 28, 2006, 12:39:41 AM »
How did you already do the applicatoins, I haven't received any info from NYU about that....

Tiwaz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 28, 2006, 01:00:08 AM »
Well, I haven't received anything by mail, but the financial aid email we received at the beginning of the month had enough info to run with.  (If you lost or never got that email, I'd be happy to forward it to you.  Just PM me with your email address.)

PHSextemp

• View Profile
    • My blog
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: June 28, 2006, 11:03:45 AM »
I still have the e-mail sitting around but for some reason I thought we had to wait for NYU to send out additional information via snail mail.  Or maybe that is only necessary for the GRAD PLUS loans.... I may have to go back and re-read those emails.  Has anyone else applied for their fin-aid yet?

Tiwaz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 28, 2006, 02:23:52 PM »
Can anyone recommend a bank in the NYU area?  I'd like free checking, online banking, and convenient, fee-free ATM access.

Tiwaz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 28, 2006, 02:37:45 PM »
Google Earth shows Washington Mutual and Citibank as being very close to the law school buildings.  (I think I just outed myself as a geek.  Oops.)