Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYU Class of 2009  (Read 18116 times)

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
Re: NYU Class of 2009
« Reply #140 on: June 09, 2006, 04:27:12 PM »
I got my housing assignment.  12th Floor of Mercer in a 3 person apartment.  ~$14,000 a year.  Is $4,800 more than enough (budgeted room and board minus room) to live on in lower Manhattan?  Or am I going to be relying on my credit card space pretty regularly?

4800 over about 8-9 months is 500-600 a month.  If you cook a lot this is doable, but if you intend on going out to eat often, and drinking fairly regularly this is gonna be tough.

Well I don't plan to go out to eat hardly ever and I think I will give up drinking for economic reasons.  I'll keep some booze around but I have been down to maybe a large bottle of rum every month or so, and I don't foresee ramping this up.

Thanks for the response Steve.  Good luck in the greatest school in the world.

Why thank you Alec.

Remember quote manipulation is the basest of all LSD trickery ;)
HLS '09

PHSextemp

• AOL Instant Messenger - PHSextemp
    • View Profile
    • My blog
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2006, 10:13:16 AM »
I'm a D'Ag double with all the rest of the cool peeps on here ;).  Ironically, my room number is the same as my birthday 0507.
3.95/168  ATTENDING NYU!!!
In: Berkeley, Washington/Lee ($$$), UNC ($$), NYU
Waitlisted: Michigan, Chicago, UVa
Given the boot: Yale
Pending: Duke
http://nyuseejd.blogspot.com

Tiwaz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2006, 04:03:51 PM »
Don't worry, Alec, I think there's a flaw in our coolness criteria.  I'll be in D'Ag and I have never in my entire life been mistaken for cool.  :P

PHSextemp

• AOL Instant Messenger - PHSextemp
    • View Profile
    • My blog
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2006, 11:35:51 PM »
I'm a D'Ag double with all the rest of the cool peeps on here ;).  Ironically, my room number is the same as my birthday 0507.

Hey I'm cool :(

I'm sorry Alec.  Can we still be friends?
3.95/168  ATTENDING NYU!!!
In: Berkeley, Washington/Lee ($$$), UNC ($$), NYU
Waitlisted: Michigan, Chicago, UVa
Given the boot: Yale
Pending: Duke
http://nyuseejd.blogspot.com

Fenstrex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: June 13, 2006, 11:56:32 AM »
July 1, I'm pretty sure. Although that's a Saturday, so maybe June 30 to be safe?

HeDumpedMe

« Reply #145 on: June 14, 2006, 02:38:33 PM »
Hmmm...I might not be living in NYU housing after all. I just got in touch with a friend who's moving back to NY and she has a much cheaper place in the city we can share as roomies. Anyone know what the deadline for full refund of the deposit is again?

yea, i'll be declining housing too.  thank goodness the deposit is refundable!  ;D 

hereshopin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 17, 2006, 04:28:17 AM »
Yeah, I knew I was running a risk being this specific, but I DEFINITELY didn't want to get assigned to a place that was too small or too expensive for me and the SO.

Any natives have suggestions on the best way to apartment hunt in NYC? I know there are a couple of existing threads on this topic, which I will try to dig up, but any advice would be appreciated.

ETA: Thanks, Tiwaz! I've gotten used to waitlists by now, so it's not too disappointing  ;)

Craigslist is better than you'd think. I'm a senior at NYU UG, and thats how I found the place i moved into sophomore year, and the place im staying in in DC now.
DeVry Tech '10

hereshopin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 17, 2006, 04:31:03 AM »
did anyone else get an email asking them to verify their w-2s, their parents' w-2s, etc?

i hate how they word things.  you may forfeit your award if you dont get everything in by june 23?  theres got to be a better way to say that. i can tell im going to hate this bureaucracy.

It's legendary here. You'll love it...
DeVry Tech '10

Lebron James

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2006, 10:41:20 PM »
Hmmm...I might not be living in NYU housing after all. I just got in touch with a friend who's moving back to NY and she has a much cheaper place in the city we can share as roomies. Anyone know what the deadline for full refund of the deposit is again?

yea, i'll be declining housing too.  thank goodness the deposit is refundable!  ;D 

Has anyone received a housing refund.  I applied for the refund over a month ago and haven't receive any money :*(

hereshopin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 20, 2006, 10:47:22 PM »

Has anyone received a housing refund.  I applied for the refund over a month ago and haven't receive any money :*(

NYU's accounts payable is several weeks behind schedule for everything, from refunds to reimbursments. I heard it should all be cleared up by July 1.
DeVry Tech '10