Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYU Class of 2009  (Read 18051 times)

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
Re: NYU Class of 2009
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2006, 07:55:38 PM »
I got the email even though I withdrew more than a month ago  :-\
HLS '09

Lebron James

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2006, 12:22:08 AM »
did anyone else get an email asking them to verify their w-2s, their parents' w-2s, etc?

i hate how they word things.  you may forfeit your award if you dont get everything in by june 23?  theres got to be a better way to say that.  i can tell im going to hate this bureaucracy.

I got the same e-mail.  Did we receive a previous e-mail telling us to mail in all these forms?

For everyone who is going to taking out loans to pay for NYU, which lenders do you think are best?  If you've thought it over and have any specific questions, I can relay them to one of my friends who works in finance and has a good handle on the economy and what types of interest rates fixed, variable etc. may be best given the current economic climate. 

B.K.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 08, 2006, 09:45:43 AM »
did anyone else get an email asking them to verify their w-2s, their parents' w-2s, etc?

i hate how they word things.  you may forfeit your award if you dont get everything in by june 23?  theres got to be a better way to say that.  i can tell im going to hate this bureaucracy.

i got it, and then panicked when i realiyed i still havent actually submitted my 2005 taxes! gotta get on that. alec, do you think you received it by mistake?

Tiwaz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 08, 2006, 05:25:34 PM »
Well, if you received a financial aid award, it said this:

"All awards are considered to be provisional and subject to change until all required documentation is received and reviewed by our office. Please submit your 2005 federal income tax forms (and all schedules), W-2s and those of your spouse and your parents by May 15. It is your responsibility to see that all documents are received and your application is complete. Delays can result in removal or reduction of your institutional award."

I forgot all about it until about two weeks ago.  I was a little nervous about it being late, but since I didn't get an email, I guess they've got everything they need.

Lebron James

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 09, 2006, 12:14:05 AM »
I like the avatar alec.  What happened tonight.  70% shooting in the first quarter and then nothing... :(

Tiwaz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2006, 12:47:36 PM »
Yep, I got it too.  It sounds like we should get our assignments soon.  :)

Fenstrex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: June 09, 2006, 03:35:02 PM »
Dang... I just got waitlisted for housing. I thought I'd be done with waitlists by now!  :P

Not sure if it's because I applied for family housing, didn't want an alternative assignment, or both. Guess I better start apartment hunting. Anyone else get the WL?

Tiwaz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2006, 03:46:34 PM »
Sorry about the waitlist, Fentrex.  I got assigned to my first choice-- a triple in D'Agostino.  Of course, I just requested the cheapest four options they had.  I imagine the competition for family housing is much stiffer.

Fenstrex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: June 09, 2006, 03:52:28 PM »
Yeah, I knew I was running a risk being this specific, but I DEFINITELY didn't want to get assigned to a place that was too small or too expensive for me and the SO.

Any natives have suggestions on the best way to apartment hunt in NYC? I know there are a couple of existing threads on this topic, which I will try to dig up, but any advice would be appreciated.

ETA: Thanks, Tiwaz! I've gotten used to waitlists by now, so it's not too disappointing  ;)

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 09, 2006, 04:13:47 PM »
I got my housing assignment.  12th Floor of Mercer in a 3 person apartment.  ~$14,000 a year.  Is $4,800 more than enough (budgeted room and board minus room) to live on in lower Manhattan?  Or am I going to be relying on my credit card space pretty regularly?

4800 over about 8-9 months is 500-600 a month.  If you cook a lot this is doable, but if you intend on going out to eat often, and drinking fairly regularly this is gonna be tough.
HLS '09