Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYU Class of 2009  (Read 18225 times)

ShadowDancer

• View Profile
NYU Class of 2009
« on: April 13, 2006, 01:20:47 PM »
I sent in my deposit on Tuesday. Who else is definitely attending NYU next fall? Are you planning on living in a residence hall or off-campus?

Share your concerns, advice, and information.  :)
Attending: NYU ($$$)!
In: Miami ($$$$), Georgetown, George Mason, American, W&M ($$), Rugers-N ($$), Temple ($$$), WNEC ($$$$), Columbia

yellowbug

• View Profile
Re: NYU Class of 2009
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 02:42:19 PM »
I'm definitely going to NYU.  I haven't sent in my deposit yet, but I'm working on it.  I'm planning to live on campus.  The campus apartments are just too convenient for me not to live there. (even though the rooms are tiny)  It will make the move to NYC simple, and the building is so close to the law school. 

LAS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 01:27:38 PM »
I plan on going to. I will continue to live in my off-campus apartment on the east side. I've been in New York for six years now, and would be happy to answer any questions. I also have lots of friends at NYU law, and can tell you a bit about dorms etc.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=LASMO

In: Georgetown, Boalt, Michigan, NYU, GW, Northwestern, Penn, Harvard, NW, Columbia, Chicago, Stanford
Waitlisted: Yale
Pending:  None.

ShadowDancer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 02:22:48 PM »
I am going to live in the residence hall too. I heard that the rooms apartments in Mercer are bigger, but I think most of the current students take them before we have chance. I am a little worried about the move myself. I cannot imagine a good majority of the students all trying to move in on the same day. The halls open up on the first day of orientation. I think it would be better to let students move in the day before so they can get situated before checking in.

LAS, do you have any tips for living cheaply in NYC?
In: Miami ($$$$), Georgetown, George Mason, American, W&M ($$), Rugers-N ($$), Temple ($$$), WNEC ($$$$), Columbia

yellowbug

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 04:13:05 PM »
Yeah, Shadowdancer, it's sure to be pretty crazy on that Sunday.  I'm thinking about paying the $40 to move in a day early.  Hopefully I can avoid much of the rush by moving in then, and it will give me an extra day to unpack before orientation.   Do you know how you are going to move all of your stuff?  I can't see any other feasible alternative except using a car.  I don't really want to buy all new stuff and professional movers would be overkill.  Everyone tells me how terrible it is to have a car in NYC, but hopefully just for moving in it will be ok. 

juliach00

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 09:53:20 PM »
I've settled on NYU, and am planning on moving up from D.C. in August. Since I have a bunch of furniture, I'm trying to find a relatively cheap place in the area... If anyone's interested in looking together (and exploiting all my living room furniture), let me know!

ShadowDancer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 09:31:49 AM »
I was thinking about moving in early too. I will drive up there in a car. I cannot imagine driving in NYC but I am sure it would be fine for one day. I think it is just the kind of thing you don't want to do regularly. Plus, we will be so excited about finally being there that the traffic probably won't be a bother.

LAS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 12:53:52 PM »
Living cheaply in New York is a little difficult - especially in the west village where there are so many temptations! I went to ugrad uptown, but have been working in new york for the last two years, but some of my advice is:

1) housing -- I think NYU housing is expensive, and the west village is pricey in general. If you live in the east village and share with someone else, you should be able to find apartments for less than $1400 per person, possibly between $900 - $1200 per person. I believe living in NYU dorms breaks down to $1400 per month. Its a walk from the east village, but worth it and the location is amazing. You can also live in other parts of town and take the subway. The best place to compare housing is on newyork.craigslist.org

2) food- Eating out and ordering in puts a major dent in your budget. Cook as much as you can. Take advantage of free food events at NYU.

any other thoughts?
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=LASMO

In: Georgetown, Boalt, Michigan, NYU, GW, Northwestern, Penn, Harvard, NW, Columbia, Chicago, Stanford
Waitlisted: Yale
Pending:  None.

juliach00

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2006, 11:01:38 PM »
Thanks for the advice - yeah, I was looking at East Village, also because my sister used to live there and I really like the area in general. I've been obsessively scanning craigslist and, even though nobody's even trying to post about august yet, the number of good deals I've seen are reassuring. It does seem to make sense to look on my own, since NYU housing isn't very cheap at all and I'd rather not have to buy furniture all over again down the road... Budgeting for life in NY is pretty stressful...

ShadowDancer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 09:30:18 AM »
I am a little worried about adjusting to the cold weather. I am from Florida and my visit to NYU just a few weeks ago made me realize that I have no clothes suitable to northern weather. I do not have a coat and most of my tops are tanks or short sleeves. I am going to have to completely revamp my wardrobe. Any suggestions about dealing with weather, winter wardrobes, or where to shop for winter clothes?