Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: rigor  (Read 1548 times)

lexylit

rigor
« on: August 05, 2004, 09:00:26 PM »
people keep talking about the "rigor" of applicants' ug courseload, but i wonder how anyone would determine rigor-- is it upper-level courses?

i found two or three subjects i loved and took all high-level classes in those areas, but one could argue-- i would argue, in fact-- that it would have been a lot more "rigorous" for me to take intro-level courses in stuff i knew i'd suck at. i could do english 98 with my eyes closed but i promise i would have failed econ 5 or engines 1 miserably.

foxnewssucks

Re: rigor
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 09:03:00 PM »
They are specifically looking for Econ 5 and Engines 1.  Sorry.

lexylit

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 09:03:58 PM »
faaack! :o

darren

• Sr. Citizen
  • Nader / Camejo 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 09:06:35 PM »
I'm guessing what they want is for people to take challenging courses in whatever field they're in.  I know that here there are lots of majors you could do without taking anything too terribly challenging.  You have to choose to make your program tough.  But I don't think that means that English majors should have to take science courses.  I'm guessing they just want to see courses with titles like "19th Century Irish Poetry" as opposed to "Grisham: The Early Years".

GPA - 3.55 Overall, 3.75 Last 3 Years
LSAT - 169,171 on Timed Practice Tests

foxnewssucks

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 09:07:36 PM »
actually I have the same problem... not sure what "rigor" is.. I think that they want to see upper division classes and not a lot of phys ed/performing arts stuff.  I am not sure why they care about upper division so much, becaue I agree with what you are saying regarding engines 1.

darren

• Sr. Citizen
  • Nader / Camejo 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 09:08:01 PM »
But then, I've taken Engines and Econ. So I don't have to worry anyway... :P

Maryanne007

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.74 LSAT: 176 UG: Harvard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 09:09:35 PM »
i think its all a lie somewhat... well i mean if they saw that you took all the easiest (intro) classes possible that may be one thing.. but i also feel like they can't tell which classes are hard or not.  I wonder if they look at the name of the course.  A bunch of my friends took a class called "Dinosaurs" (major BS) and I took one called "Human Sexuality" where we just talked about our sex lives... not very rigorous, but I wonder who would know about other classes such as "The Politics of Congress" which is also really easy and not an intro class.  Hm... the mysteries of the admissions process..

lexylit

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 09:12:24 PM »
well at least my school still has a gym requirement and a swim test. can't tread water? can't have a diploma!

THAT'S rigor, baby :-*

Maryanne007

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.74 LSAT: 176 UG: Harvard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 09:14:59 PM »
haha, my high school implemented something like that right after i graduated!  thank goodness since i cant swim for my life..  :)

darren

• Sr. Citizen
  • Nader / Camejo 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 09:17:28 PM »
Just tell them about your 120 page thesis Lexy, that's some serious rigor.