Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Early Decision  (Read 1955 times)

lawguy

Early Decision
« on: August 05, 2004, 08:57:15 PM »
ED

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Early Decision
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 09:01:56 PM »
I agree with the article about Early Action plans.  However, I think Early Decision gives a canidate an advantage.  Not only does it show a definite interest in the school, it lowers the school's admission/acceptance yield.  I asked a Notre Dame admission lady about this, and she said it definately gives a boost, even if they don't specifically state it on the website.  However, I do think Early Action programs might actually work against a perspective student.

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

Bman

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 09:02:43 PM »
Not sure. You should check to see what the school says (if you haven't already done this). Some, like Chicago, essentially admit that it helps. Others, like Duke, go so far as to say that they will only admit someone early if they meet a higher threshold.

By the way, isn't Michigan's ED option only for the summer program?

Maryanne007

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.74 LSAT: 176 UG: Harvard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 09:03:50 PM »
i personaly think it makes a huge difference.  schools want to know if they admit you, you're going to go keeping their matriculation rate high.  if michigan is where you really want to go, i'd definitely do early, unless you think first term grades would make substantial difference or something.  

i was actually thinking of applying early to columbia but not sure.. since my dream school is harvard... hm, probably a bad idea then eh?

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 09:04:22 PM »
Yeah, you have to begin during the summer for Michigan's ED.  Also, Georgetown's website says ED helps.

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

Not sure. You should check to see what the school says (if you haven't already done this). Some, like Chicago, essentially admit that it helps. Others, like Duke, go so far as to say that they will only admit someone early if they meet a higher threshold.

By the way, isn't Michigan's ED option only for the summer program?

Maryanne007

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.74 LSAT: 176 UG: Harvard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 09:15:35 PM »
very true.. ah, thats the gut wrenching part!!!  ;D

Bman

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 09:15:59 PM »
I don't think EA (certainly not ED) works against anyone. A person with borderline numbers might get deferred if they apply EA because a school has no idea how good the applicant pool will be in a few months. Still, though, if a person would get in applying later, they would certainly get in if they apply early. Basically, I think that it may help, it may not, but it certainly won't hurt.

Bman

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 09:16:59 PM »
For your case, I think you should apply ED if your numbers are borderline, and if you definitely want to go there (and don't mind the summer program).

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 09:19:22 PM »
I am not 100% sure on this one, but early action plans (non-binding) are a risk to the school, since they can't see the entire applicant pool.  Thus, unless your a definite admit, they may waitlist you.  Unfortunetly, the chances of getting off a waitlist many times are not that great.  Just something to think about, though.  I could be completely wrong.  However, I definately think Early Decision (binding) will help.  

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

Bman

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 09:21:37 PM »
"But when schools say that ED helps, do you think they really mean that it will actually "help" give us an edge in getting in, or do you think they're just saying that so that more people will apply to their school?  I always get suspicious when schools say that.  I guess you can't really know for sure, though."

Actually, I think that if they're spewing bs, it's actually in the other direction (i.e. a lot of schools that say they don't give preference to ED applicants probably do). A school's yield (the percentage of students who are accepted that matriculate) is a very important component of their ranking and prestige. If you were reviewing two applications of students with similar numbers, one of which would provide an automatic matriculation, which would help your yield, and another whom you had no idea whether they would attend or not attend if admitted, which would you take? I assume schools would definitely prefer the former.