Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Boston College or Minnesota???  (Read 1926 times)

aggieJD

Re: Boston College or Minnesota???
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2006, 01:13:22 AM »
Thanks for everyone's insight and thoughts. I know both schools will provide great opportunities. I guess I will have to visit both and then make a decision based on my visits. If anyone can give more insight into working in Boston (hours, commute, atmosphere) that would be great.

icf

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2006, 09:33:55 AM »
I know that rent in BC is rather high. Are there other costs that I should be aware of? What are the apartments like? I would need a two bedroom, what am I going to pay? I will have a car so I don't mind living a little ways away from the school, but I don't want to spend over 30 minutes a day commuting.

unfortunately, most of the undergrads i know lived in the allston-brighton area right on commonwealth ave. (which i wouldn't suggest for you b/c if you're bringing a car, it's hard to find parking there as it's right on the public transportation line) but when i did a search on craigslist for newton/newton center, and watertown and waltham (which are also close but usu. a little cheaper than newton), 2-bds were like 1500-2500.  in these towns, parking spaces usually come with the apartment, too.  commuting from these towns would definitely be under 30 mins.

Harper

• Sr. Citizen
  • works every time
    • AOL Instant Messenger - harperfan02138
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harperfan02138
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2006, 11:29:30 AM »

That is quite an impressive list of subjective factors with no factual backup whatsoever. 

Of course it's subjective - the OP is asking for people's opinions.  I'm sure he/she already has access to the relevant stats. 

And to reveal my own biases - I love Boston, and think that BC is the way to go.  (And Boston does have better sports.)

Afro

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2006, 12:56:42 PM »
I don't think the schools are really comparable; each has its advantages and disadvantages. I think UMINN should be your choice only if you want to work in Minnesota; But if youre not sure, BC would be the best bet, as its the slightly better school.

hth.

Tpie82

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2006, 02:18:47 PM »
I don't think the schools are really comparable; each has its advantages and disadvantages.  I think BC should be your choice only if you want to work in Boston; But if youre not sure, UMINN would be the best bet, as its the slightly better school.

hth.

aggieJD

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2006, 08:08:31 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input. I have decided to attend Minnesota next year unless I get off the waitlist at Cornell, Mighigan or Vanderbilt. I still am yet to hear from Duke also.

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2006, 11:33:29 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input. I have decided to attend Minnesota next year unless I get off the waitlist at Cornell, Mighigan or Vanderbilt. I still am yet to hear from Duke also.

Glad you could make a decision.   May I ask what factors pushed Minn over the edge for you?  Just curious as I might have to make a similar decision someday soon.
8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington
:-\ GW, WUSTL, Emory, WashLee, BostonU, Ariz, Minnesota
>:( Gtown, Mich, Nwestern, UIUC, Berk

aggieJD

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2006, 11:40:27 PM »
I think it came down to gut feeling. I felt a lot more comfortable choosing Minnesota because I had talked to a ton of alumni and current students over the past couple of months. I think Boston would be an awesome place to spend part of my life, but I don't think the firm environment there is what I am looking for. I don't want to work 80+ hours. Plus 130K in Boston is equivalent to about 85K in Minnesota when you figure in COL. Being able to get residency after the first year and thus reduce my debt load substantially also was a major factor. I am still on some wait lists for T14 that if I get into I will probably go. But, for right now I am getting excited for Minnesota. Good Luck!

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2006, 12:58:19 AM »
I think it came down to gut feeling. I felt a lot more comfortable choosing Minnesota because I had talked to a ton of alumni and current students over the past couple of months. I think Boston would be an awesome place to spend part of my life, but I don't think the firm environment there is what I am looking for. I don't want to work 80+ hours. Plus 130K in Boston is equivalent to about 85K in Minnesota when you figure in COL. Being able to get residency after the first year and thus reduce my debt load substantially also was a major factor. I am still on some wait lists for T14 that if I get into I will probably go. But, for right now I am getting excited for Minnesota. Good Luck!

You can get in state tuition after your first year?  I am under the impression that if you enroll as an out of stater, you remain an out of stater.  Unless your wife works in Minnesota or something like that. 

veg

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2006, 09:25:54 PM »

You can get in state tuition after your first year?  I am under the impression that if you enroll as an out of stater, you remain an out of stater.  Unless your wife works in Minnesota or something like that. 

is this actually the case? if so, it'd make me a happy boy...