Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Boston College or Minnesota???  (Read 1924 times)

aggieJD

Boston College or Minnesota???
« on: April 13, 2006, 01:34:42 AM »
I have narrowed it down to these two schools. Cost of living isn't a huge factor as BC gave me more money in scholarship than Minnesota. I don't really have a preference as to where I would like to end up after law school. I want to go to the school that will give me the most options when I am finished. I also am married and have a young daughter so I want a place that will be good for them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

aggieJD

Re: Boston College or Minnesota???
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 01:43:59 AM »
Ya, I guess that seems to be the problem. I would much rather live in the west (AZ/CO) or in TX. But, most of all I want to get a good job out of law school where I can make enough money to pay off my loans. I wouldn't be against working in Boston for a few years and then lateralling into one of those other markets. Does anyone know what the typical hours for a first year associate are in Boston? Is it as much of a sweat shop as NYC?

Tpie82

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 03:17:22 AM »
Ya, I guess that seems to be the problem. I would much rather live in the west (AZ/CO) or in TX. But, most of all I want to get a good job out of law school where I can make enough money to pay off my loans. I wouldn't be against working in Boston for a few years and then lateralling into one of those other markets. Does anyone know what the typical hours for a first year associate are in Boston? Is it as much of a sweat shop as NYC?

Given your goals, it seems Minn would be the better choice.  BC and Minn are both regional schools, neither is going to give you great advantages to placement outside of their region (east/midwest).  However, Minn is closer to the west coast and actually places decently well into California at least (and, just as important, Minn had something like 83% passage rate on the CA bar which is the hardest in the country).  Sometimes its easy to forget about logistics, but flying to CO/AZ/TX for interviews from Boston is going to add probably 2:30-3:00 hours onto every trip from what it would take in Minnesota and it will probably cost more too. 

Boston is a very packed market, and though it has a lot of jobs, it is quite competitive.  You might be making more in Boston than in Minneapolis, but you will also be paying more to live.  You say the most important thing to you is to get a job where you can make the money to pay off your loans.  Just looking at the employment stats, Minnesota is employing almost 97% of their grads at graduation and almost 99% by 9 months.  They also got 99.2% bar passage rate in MN (though it has a high passage rate already). 

The cold temps are going to be very close between Boston and Minneapolis at best so you really shouldnt factor that into your decision.  With a young daughter, it might also be important to you that Minneapolis supposedly has one of the best primary school systems in the country (I heard this anecdotally, but im pretty sure it is true). 

I admittedly dont know a lot about Boston, but I really think with the factors you listed as important that UMN would be the better pick. 

aggieJD

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 09:52:41 AM »
Thanks for everyone's advice. I guess I have been looking at Boston just because I think it would be a cool place to live for a few years. I know that isn't the best criteria for choosing a law school. Minnesota has been very active in giving me information by having alumni, students, and faculty contact me. I haven't heard hardly anything from BC. I guess I am leaning towards Minnesota. Any other thoughts?

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 10:07:25 AM »
go with Minnesota! Better quality education, more portable JD degree, lower cost, higher standard of living.

abc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 10:44:56 AM »
I would go to Boston - better area and better jobs by far!!!

prestigesq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 11:08:54 AM »
Boston.

icf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 11:17:02 AM »
i don't know much about minnesota, but i did undergrad at bc, and i just thought i'd throw in a few thoughts about bc.

i'm sure you've seen this already, but according to their career services website, about 10% of their graduates head out to west/southwest (http://www.bc.edu/schools/law/services/career/statistics/) so i can't imagine there being a huge problem about finding a job in the region (plus, i'm sure their numbers are skewed lower b/c most students prefer to stay in the area).  i don't know though, maybe minnesota would be better on that end.

what i can tell you for sure is that quality of life at bc is amazing.  have you visited the school?  it's not actually in boston, it's in a suburb outside of it.  newton is very clean, very quiet, very safe, and is an ideal place for a family, esp. with a young child.  plus, the law school campus is separate from the main undergrad campus, so you can live close to the school and not have to deal with the drinking/partying on the weekends (the downside is that if you need anything on the main campus, you have to take a shuttle bus, unless you bring a car).  the city itself is like a 10 min. drive (but quite a lot longer by public transportation, maybe 30-40 min, depending on where you decide to live) and obviously, there's tons of culture/history/entertainment/etc.   it definitely is a cool place to live, and i think that since you'll be there for at least 3 years, that is an important factor (to me, anyway).

also, i've had only the best experiences when dealing with the schools admin/fin. aid/student services/etc. (although may be different with law school).

sorry i couldn't be more helpful on the law school itself, but let me know if you have any q's about the area.

aggieJD

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 11:41:36 AM »
I know that rent in BC is rather high. Are there other costs that I should be aware of? What are the apartments like? I would need a two bedroom, what am I going to pay? I will have a car so I don't mind living a little ways away from the school, but I don't want to spend over 30 minutes a day commuting.

Does anyone have anything that they didn't like about either school?

veg

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 11:48:20 AM »
When I visited BC, they told me that rent can be fairly high in the area right around the school. The other things they mentioned were that you need to 1)use a realtor to find a house/apartment, and 2) look for somewhere with parking included. Apparently parking is expensive.
However, the schools are good (I'm in the same situation as you, my daughter is about to start kindergarten), and the area is really nice. Best of all, you're not far from Boston proper, and all the cool kid-friendly things to do there.
I would highly recommend BC. It's got a good national reputation, or so I've heard. Are you from Texas? Like, A&M?