Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: first time posting and in need of advice  (Read 844 times)

r.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey psycho stalker spy!
    • View Profile
Re: first time posting and in need of advice
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 03:59:46 AM »
r98??  I would like to take this opportunity to propose something.  How about we meet up??  anytime, anyplace, I'd be more than happy to beat the living *&^% out of you.  Let me know of a time that's good for you.

Do you go to Southwestern? I'll be in LA this fall, maybe. We should totally meet up when you're not busy in ambulance chasing class.
Byron's Don Juan:  Booker T. Washington Elementary School
Milton's Paradise Lost: Middle School

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 04:03:46 AM »
This is a tough choice, for a couple of reasons. Wisconsin is a better school than Loyola, and would give you a lot of great opportunities-but they'd all be in Wisconsin and the Midwest. Think a bit about living there. I, as a fellow LA native, know it's tough. But think about the cost of living and how much extra purchasing power you'd probably have there. Madison is a great place, after all. There's State Street and lots of bars and things for young people to do.

That being said, if you're absolutely positive you want to be in LA, the answer is Loyola, no question. It is much better than Southwestern, and most people from Loyola are able to get decent jobs. You may not hit Biglaw, although there are those from Loyola who do, but you can probably find a good firm or public interest job in LA from Loyola.

kol

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 10:06:55 AM »
thanks for the advice groundhog. i have read some bad things about southwestern in previous posts. they are obviously striving to improve their program. i don't think they'll catch up to anyone else in L.A. anytime soon though. the thought of living in the midwest for a while isn't as scary as going 100k/plus in debt, but the thought of never being able to crack the L.A. market is. does anyone know how difficult it is to land a job in L.A.or transfer from a large firm in the midwest to L.A. after working in the midwest for a few years?

gogo73

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 10:27:03 AM »
Kol, if I can ask, what are your numbers?  URM?

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 05:13:32 PM »
I saw 4 firms on Wisconsin's OCI list that recruited for LA offices. I don't know, really, what the hiring process is for midlaw and such. It might help if you specified exactly what kind of job you wanted. It seems like you're talking firm work, probably not biglaw. As for that, I don't know. Maybe contact some local offices in LA and see who they solicit resumés from and what their requirements are regarding law schools.

Still, unless I was sure that I could get hired midlaw or whatever it is you plan to do in LA, I wouldn't head to Wisconsin, although it would be more fun than Loyola.