Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: first time posting and in need of advice  (Read 833 times)

kol

• View Profile
first time posting and in need of advice
« on: April 13, 2006, 01:16:29 AM »
My seat deposit deadlines have been extended, but I must decide soon. I am a California native. I would like to practice in Los Angeles and don't know which school to attend.

University of Wisconsin - I have been offered in-state tuition ($12,000 per year). I visited Madison in early March and really loved it. The lower cost-of-living is also very attractive. I'm worried about getting a job back in Los Angeles. Wisconsin has an off-campus interview program in L.A., but I' not sure how many jobs are secured through this process. The plan was to try to come back and clerk during the summer in L.A. Also, I'm not sure what my future holds and I assume that Wisconsin carries more weight than Loyola or Southwestern outside of L.A. I'm a HUGE football fan and the idea of big-ten football has me really excited.

Loyola Law School - I was not offered a scholarship. Loyola has a huge alumni base in L.A. and better than average employment prospects. $100,000 in debt does not sound so good. Cost of living in L.A. is high, but I will be around friends and family. Local summer opportunities will probably be abundant.

Southwestern School of Law - Offered full-tuition scholarship. This school's reputation in L.A. is not as strong as Loyola's, but a friend of mine who recently graduated is doing fine (second job at 90k/yr). Apparently, the curve was raised to 3.0 this year, which is good news for those of us who are considering Southwestern. The school's new dean is making many changes for the better. The campus is beautiful and high tech.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.  

George JeffersonČ

• Sr. Citizen
  • Suck on my salty chocolate balls!
    • View Profile
Re: first time posting and in need of advice
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 01:25:39 AM »
My seat deposit deadlines have been extended, but I must decide soon. I am a California native. I would like to practice in Los Angeles and don't know which school to attend.

University of Wisconsin - I have been offered in-state tuition ($12,000 per year). I visited Madison in early March and really loved it. The lower cost-of-living is also very attractive. I'm worried about getting a job back in Los Angeles. Wisconsin has an off-campus interview program in L.A., but I' not sure how many jobs are secured through this process. The plan was to try to come back and clerk during the summer in L.A. Also, I'm not sure what my future holds and I assume that Wisconsin carries more weight than Loyola or Southwestern outside of L.A. I'm a HUGE football fan and the idea of big-ten football has me really excited.

Loyola Law School - I was not offered a scholarship. Loyola has a huge alumni base in L.A. and better than average employment prospects. $100,000 in debt does not sound so good. Cost of living in L.A. is high, but I will be around friends and family. Local summer opportunities will probably be abundant.

Southwestern School of Law - Offered full-tuition scholarship. This school's reputation in L.A. is not as strong as Loyola's, but a friend of mine who recently graduated is doing fine (second job at 90k/yr). Apparently, the curve was raised to 3.0 this year, which is good news for those of us who are considering Southwestern. The school's new dean is making many changes for the better. The campus is beautiful and high tech.

Have a look at the following link: http://www.law.wisc.edu/career/salary.htm
Wisconsin doesn't look so good for the west coast. This could be for one of two reasons: the west coast doesn't want them or they don't want the west coast. Ask the office of career services about prospects in Cali. If fifty students tried and only eight landed jobs, it would not be good. If ten tried and eight landed positions, then you might be able to risk it.
Put 'em in yo mouth!

r.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey psycho stalker spy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 01:27:05 AM »

Byron's Don Juan:  Booker T. Washington Elementary School
Milton's Paradise Lost: Middle School

George JeffersonČ

• Sr. Citizen
  • Suck on my salty chocolate balls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 01:27:39 AM »

Kill self

This is, of course, a viable alternative.
Put 'em in yo mouth!

kol

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 01:31:29 AM »
i'd rather not, thanks.

fallofftheworld

• Sr. Citizen
  • DON'T TALK ABOUT MY WALLPAPER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 01:57:19 AM »
Honestly, Loyola vs Southwestern should be your ONLY consideration.

No school has any significant national pull outside top10-20 law programs for big market areas.  You will definitely want to stick to a school close to where you want to practice.  That is advice that 95% of all previous LSAT test takers will tell you.  (95% being not good enough to get into the top10-20 programs for most people)

I just went to a personal statement workshop today and they hit this: It is a tough balance between no debt and going to the best law school possible but aim for the best you can afford to attend.  If there is no appreciable difference then take the money over it but for US news rankings like 70-85, to pick an arbitrary range, the differences between them are not so appreciable that you will see a huge increase in teaching talent and job prospects.  You'll be going to a law school for "3 years" and a football program is not a reason to go to a school with worse job prospects.  Especially when those 3 years are more like 21 total months with gracious breaks in between.

kol

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 02:23:48 AM »
thanks for the advice. the football program was just a small added bonus, not a determining factor. for those of you who are considering practicing in L.A., do you feel Loyola's reputation and alumni base is worth 100k? is there that much of a difference between the two schools in your opinion?

r.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey psycho stalker spy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 02:25:06 AM »
thanks for the advice. the football program was just a small added bonus, not a determining factor. for those of you who are considering practicing in L.A., do you feel Loyola's reputation and alumni base is worth 100k? is there that much of a difference between the two schools in your opinion?

Southwestern blows.
Byron's Don Juan:  Booker T. Washington Elementary School
Milton's Paradise Lost: Middle School

kol

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 03:14:29 AM »
thanks again r98. you're advice is invaluable, as always.

Zoli

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 03:56:00 AM »
r98??  I would like to take this opportunity to propose something.  How about we meet up??  anytime, anyplace, I'd be more than happy to beat the living *&^% out of you.  Let me know of a time that's good for you.
"I say NO to drugs but they don't listen."