Law School Discussion

Poll

I eventually want to practice law in Chicago, so which is the best option: Wisconsin, Iowa, Chicago-Kent, or Ohio State?

Wisconsin
Iowa
Chicago-Kent
Ohio State

Wisconsin, Iowa, Chicago-Kent, or Ohio State???

Wisconsin, Iowa, Chicago-Kent, or Ohio State???
« on: April 12, 2006, 06:31:38 PM »
I got accepted to law school at Wisconsin, Iowa, Chicago-Kent, and Ohio State.  If I ultimately want to end up practicing law in Chicago, which school would you recommend that I attend?

Re: Wisconsin, Iowa, Chicago-Kent, or Ohio State???
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 01:34:25 PM »
Hmmm, this is a tough one.   Iowa is the best ranked of the four according to USNWR, but it is far enough away from Chicago that I'm not sure how many Chicago based firms make the journey to Iowa to for OCI's.  Kent is the lowest ranked of the four. However, it is the only school of the four in Chicago, so I would assume that your best prospects for a Chicago based job during school and post graduation are here.  But then again, you are competing with other top Chicago/Illinois based schools such as Northestern, U of Chicago, UIUC, and Loyola.  As for Wisconsin and Ohio State, I would assume that most of the people that graduate from these schools end up with jobs in the states where these schools are located and then other areas in the midwest to a lesser extent.  Not sure if this was very helpful.  Any one else have some insights?

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 03:53:07 PM »
hey abar23,

I don't know if this helps but at the the Ohio State Admitted Students Day their Dean of Career Services provided us with lots of information, showing that OSU draws about 20 employers from the Chicago area, which isn't bad at all if you consider that OSU is 5 hours or more away in Columbus, OH. However, as previously pointed out, I think that your odds would probably be best at a Chicago school to get a job there. But, if you're not deadset on ending up in Chi-town, I'd pick between OSU and Wisconsin (both of which are located in capital cities) just because I think that students at these schools probably get more recruitment from Chicago firms than the equally prestigious Iowa (sorry folks, it may be ranked by USNWR in the 20s, but it's still Iowa). However, to be fair, I think that Iowa will give you some interesting options out west, e.g. Colorado, if you at all interested in that.

Have you visited any of these schools? If so, which made the best impression on you?

I hope this response helps you make a decision. You're making a choice between some really good schools. But, I should expose that I'm biassed toward Ohio State since I've  pledged myself to become a member of Moritz's Class of 2009 (GO BUCKS!). It'd be cool if you did choose Ohio though *nudge, nudge*.

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 04:50:21 PM »
fyi: Chicago Kent grads do have a relatively tough time in the city because outside of Chicago they don't really have much recognition and the Chicago market is really competitive (as we all know). The benefit to going to school in Chicago is that obviously you can network more during the academic year

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 09:35:57 PM »
I should also mention that I took the GMAT recently, and in my 1L year I want to apply to the MBA program of the law school I eventually decide to attend.  In terms of MBA programs, the rankings are as follows:

Ohio State - #22
Wisconsin - #31
Iowa - #53
IIT (Stuart) - not ranked

I did have a chance to visit Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Chicago Kent.  I really liked the friendliness of the students and profs in Madison as well as the folks career center.  As for Kent, the location is most appealing as well as the rigorous writing program and excellent reputation in IP.  I also sat in on a Torts class at Kent, and I found the professor to be very engaging and the students to be quite impressive yet very competitive at the same time.

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 10:44:46 PM »
So, which one are you leaning toward? Ohio (it appears) has the highest rank business program but that doesn't mean it's necessarily the best fit for you unless you really liked the law school too (since you want to do a dual degree). Also, you should factor in soft things, such as the availability of BigLaw/BigBusiness jobs in the place you decide to attend. And, it may not also be a bad idea to compare the respective costs (both economic and temporal)of choosing particular schools and their programs. You should go where you're going to feel the most comfortable.

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 11:14:15 PM »
I am leaning towards Wisconsin with Kent being a very close second.  I felt the most comfortable at those two schools.  Kent would be my first choice of the four if the MBA program was stronger. I liked Kent because of its stength in my area of interest (intellectual property), and I would like to be close to my husband who is currently getting his MBA in Evanston, IL (only 45 min from Kent).  Wisconsin is about 2.5 hours from Evanston, so at least we'll get to see each other on the weekends.  Cost is about equal for the two schools factoring in the financial aid/scholorships and cost of living.  I would really like to work in a law related position in Chicago for the summer between 1L and 2L as well as the summer between 2L and 3L.  I'm not sure how feasible it would be to get summer employment and a full-time job in the legal field in Chicago if I attend Wisconsin...especially in BigLaw/BigBusiness.  Any thoughts? Thanks.

bruinbro

• B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 05:50:13 AM »
I am leaning towards Wisconsin with Kent being a very close second.  I felt the most comfortable at those two schools.  Kent would be my first choice of the four if the MBA program was stronger. I liked Kent because of its stength in my area of interest (intellectual property), and I would like to be close to my husband who is currently getting his MBA in Evanston, IL (only 45 min from Kent).  Wisconsin is about 2.5 hours from Evanston, so at least we'll get to see each other on the weekends.  Cost is about equal for the two schools factoring in the financial aid/scholorships and cost of living.  I would really like to work in a law related position in Chicago for the summer between 1L and 2L as well as the summer between 2L and 3L.  I'm not sure how feasible it would be to get summer employment and a full-time job in the legal field in Chicago if I attend Wisconsin...especially in BigLaw/BigBusiness.  Any thoughts? Thanks.

I should preface my comment by noting that I will be attending Kent this year. I chose Kent over many of the schools you are also considering because I was so impressed with their law school and was dying to live in Chicago. Attending law school in Chicago also seems to be a huge a deal for you as to avoid living away from your husband. Is Wisconsin or Ohio State really that stellar of a law school to compell you to leave your present circumstances for three years?

p0six

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 02:38:40 PM »
Speaking personally, it would have to be the law school of the heavens to warrant being away from my spouse for a good chunk of 3 years.  I mean, how much would that suck?  I'll answer, infinity suck!

Anyway, Kent (where I'm going unless NU calls me off the list) sounds like a quality school, you should go there.  Wisconson isn't THAT much better. It's no Yale.

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 05:48:45 PM »
p0six and bruinbro - I would definitely have to agree with you about the law school aspect of the decision.  However, Wisconsin's biz school is ranked #31 with an average GMAT of 659 and IIT's is not even ranked with an average GMAT of 553.  I got 680 on my GMAT, so luckily I'll have a shot at Wisconsin.  Also, my husband and I both traveled for work during the entire time we were dating and our entire marriage so we only saw each other on the weekends.  I suppose we are use to it now.  Though the best case scenario would be for us to be together, I've seen other couples manage.  It's definitely tough, though.  What made you both decide on Kent?